DODGE RAM FORUM banner

roof marker lights

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  jgrreed 
#1 ·
i would like to put cab lights on my ram 2007 6.7ltr 3500 SRW. I was curious if anyone has done this, and if there are any recommendations. i want to know if there is a factory harness already in place, or if i will need to buy it as well. i was going to take it somewhere here in Austin and have them put them on professionally.

#2 ·
Its easier if you have the harness as I used stock ones on my 06 MC. I had to make a larger hole in the center for the stock plug as opposed to the Recon ones who only need small holes drilled in addition to the screw mounting holes. I bought a hole saw from Home Depot at 1/2 inch fo rthe job if I remember correctly.

Template will certainly help but take your time, look for measurements online and check lots of angles and views before drilling.

Uses plenty of clear RTV to seal up all holes and dab touchup paint on before doing the RTV.

Am certain you will like the look better afterwards. I did.

#4 ·
all dodges 2500 and up have the factory harness already in the headliner from what i was told by the dealer. On my last two i installed em and it was fairly easy but nerve racking at the same time. Something about drilling into the top of my truck scares me everytime. But like stated above use the 1/2" holesaw works much better and gives ya a little working room. Also i would recommend the gorecon lights as well. I tried the eurolights on one truck and wasnt very pleased with em and gorecon they are only $98 with shipping

#7 ·
I don't but I'm getting ready to install them on my 2012 here in a week or so and I'll try and get some pics for ya

#10 ·
sweet post some pics! im sorry i still have not got around to getting mine done yet.

#11 ·
Any updates here with pics? I have my Mopar cab lights sitting in the shop, but I'm scared to start drilling into the cab of my new truck!!

#12 ·
I just installed them on my 12 3500 Longhorn. If you have the Mopar Kit just make sure you spend a lot of time getting the Template in the right place before doing any drilling

#13 ·
Look threw the pics on the site I did a set on my 11 they turned out awsome

#16 ·
I just did a set of the led smoked Recon lights on our truck. I have the dodge Oem template in a PDF file if anyone wants it. Light are very easy to install only thing I did different was used a smaller diameter hole for the wiring to pass thru and cut the plug of the lights then soldered them on the inside.

#19 ·
I've installed cab lights on a few 2nd gens. Although it was on 2nd gens the process would be virtually the same.

1. Drop the forward portion of your headliner enough to fit your arm in (you'll have to remove your HUD)
2. Remove your pillar covers
3. Arrange the lights how you want them to sit and trace them with something that's not permanent or damaging to your paint (map pen, pencil, etc.)
4. Also mark where the mounting screws and wire(s) will go through.
5. Drill small pilot holes for the mounting screws and a big enough hole for the wire(s)
6. Apply a small bead of chalking around the holes (as close to the holes as possible. this will avoid the chalk from mushing out the sides of the light)
7. Mount the lights

Now to the actual wiring

Note: all the aftermarket cab lights I've installed only had a power wire because it grounded to the mounting screws.

1. Find your power source. (I connected mine to the parking light wire in the headlight switch. So when my parking lights come on so does my cab lights. I've seen others run an independent separate switch but that is ghetto. I recommend you find a headlight wiring diagram but you can always use the process of elimination)

2. Connect the power wire to the power source.
3. Find a good place to run the wire from the power source to the the underside of your roof. (I ran through the dash, up the driver side pillar, and on top of the headliner)
4. Use T-connectors to tap the wire from the lights into the power wire. (I highly recommend capping and then taping off the end of the power wire. Some people don't and then it ends up grounding out)
5. Double check all your connections and test the lights.
6. Now time to put your truck back together, clean up, and enjoy your new lights.

I hope this helped. If you have any additional questions feel free to PM or email me.

#20 ·
I had my body guy do it. He charged me 350, which was high, but I didn't have the time nor the desire to go cutting all those holes in my roof. I got some smoked Recons for Christmas last year and I have to admit they look killer. That said the connections need to checked and rechecked because I have 2 that are acting flakey 18 mos. down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.