DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Mod #7: Volant CAI on 3rd Gen

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  ShawnC13 
#1 · (Edited)
So this is the installation of my Volant on my 08 Hemi.

Before:

Step 1: Disconnect negative battery cable.

Step 2: Loosen hose clamps on resonator box and stock air box

Step 3: Remove air hose from resonator box and stock air box.

Step 4: Remove breather hose from stock air box

Step 5: Pull out stock air box

Step 6: Remove grommets from stock air box and install in Volant air box

Step 7: Place Volant box where stock was and push down firmly. (I ended up breaking one of my plastic posts but it is still secure)

Step 8: Apply coupler to resonator box and firm up, do not tighten as it will warp the other end and create an issue connecting the air duct.

Step 9: Install Volant Air Duct to Volant Air box then slide back into coupler on resonator box, tighten clamp and install filter and tighten all 3 clamps. *Make sure opening for breather hose is in correct location

Step 10: Connect 3/4" elbow to air duct and connect breather hose to it.

Step 11: Place Volant cover on air box.

Step 12: Make sure everything is properly connected and all clamps are tightened.

Step 13: Re-connect negative battery cable

Complete!!!

Probably took me about an hour, but that was with also tracking down my tools that my two little helpers had * 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter*

Now to see how it will perform with my intune!! Next will probably have to be a Y pipe to let all this air flow out freely.

See less See more
#4 ·
With the new intake and the tuner seems to have less power then just the drop it. Same 87 Octane tune but wheels don't chirp off the line easily like it did with the drop in and same tune. Could it have been from having the negative cable off and resetting everything when I did the CAI

#8 ·
I experienced a loss of power when I put a Volant on my Frontier, but after a few days the computer adjusted and holy shite...hehe.
I'll be getting a Volant for my '14.

#9 ·
Thanks Relic!! That is what I was hoping for. With the reset with the battery disconnect I was just hoping it is like you say as there is no baseline for it and after a bit I will pick up some more power as it "learns" my driving

#10 ·
:rep:

good write up, specially for people not as inclined!

#11 ·
Thanks Jeringate!! It is actually quite a simple job. Without the "help" of my two little ones and stopping to take pics I think this could be done in 30 min or less really.

#13 ·
Not sure why but I looked a long time to make sure that this one did use the stock resonator box as I like it there and really didn't care for the appearance of the ones that went straight to the TB. The Volant was the only one I could find.

#16 ·
I thought I would give it a little test this morning on my way to work. Well it is back and even more then previously the tires lit up the back end was slipping to the side and I shut it down but am happy with it when I punch it, she responds right now!!

#18 ·
I didn't cleant he TB no I didn't want to take off the stock resonator at the time. Just wanted to get it installed. Will look at that in the spring when I plan to do a major engine bay clean

#19 ·
Thanks for the pics and info! I have an '08 as well and had narrowed my choices down to the S & B or the Volant and this fills in a little more info for me. So far I'm only running the Diablosport Trinity but plan an exhaust as well this summer and was looking to couple that with CAI install. :smiley_thumbs_up:

#20 ·
I am running an intune with it and am happy only been like 2 weeks so hoping to see better mpg but hard when you have the additional power when you press the pedal. Are you looking to leave the resonator box on or planning to take it off?

#22 ·
Resonator box it the plastic box on top of your motor says Hemi 5.7 most CAI you take that off and go straight to the Throttle Body or leave it on and can hook it up to where your stock intake goes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.