DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Attempting to do the Uconnect update

9K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  Jstin 
#1 ·
I'm brand new here and have searched the Ipod problem and have downloaded the Uconnect update to a clean FAT32 formatted flashdrive and plug it into the glovebox of my 2011 Ram 1500 and it keeps saying something like please plug flashdrive into the USB and try again. I gave up a nice GMC that played my Ipod flawlessly to this Ram that I can't get to work. Other than this I love the truck over the GMC. Any suggestions appreciated.

#4 ·
can you drop you glove box down toward the floor and look inside the dash cavity to the far right side, you'll see a black module about 4" x 6" there. That's the Uconnect module, can you take a picture of the module and post it so we can see the PN & the SW version? Which link are you downloading the instructions from? (which posting)
Also what is the exact wording that is being said? There's a couple different error messages and the correct fix depends on which message that you're getting.

#5 ·
Hopefully the pic attached and the exact message is "please attach usb mass storage device with update file to system connector and try again".
I downloaded the file from the Iphone and Ipod sticky thread and I think it was a link to mediafire to the uconnect update. If pic doesn't attach it says HW:13.04 and SW:43.01.10

#6 ·
I don't see the picture but the provided info helps. I have 2 sticky threads for the 2011 Uconnect SW updates. I think that the one that you're trying to download from is;
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=116127&highlight=2011+uconnect+update

Is this correct? If so then the issue is most likely because the 1st update hasn't been done yet. I have another sticky with both updates and instructions. Please try it and let me know how it goes:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127060&highlight=2011+uconnect+update

#8 ·
So then you have already performed the first update that came out for the 43.1.10? There are 2 updates and you can't do the one for streaming audio sound quality if the first one isn't done (the first from the 2nd link that I provided). One way to find out if the first update that came out is done is to use and iPod or IPhone. Plug it into the docking cable, does Uconnect read and start playing with no issues? If it does start playing within a reasonable time frame then the 1st update has been done and we need to look at why you can't do the streaming audio update.
When you look at the file on the thumb drive after downloading it from mediafire, what is the file name?

#10 ·
OK, with the "error reading" message, this tells me that the first step update has not been performed yet. Please go to the second link that I posted and walk thru those steps, ok.
.upd is correct
on some earlier 2011 vehicles, the extension had to be changed from .upd to .upn. but I think that you need to do both updates.

#11 ·
I must be downloading the same file over and over again because now I have 4 copies of it on my computer but still only putting one on my flash drive and changed file extension to upn and still no luck. Unless you can give me a link to the first update I need I guess I'm SOL.

#13 ·
I downloaded the mygig software update 2007-2013 and put it on my clean formatted flash drive and still get the exact same message. It showed downloading on the screen for just a second once then the message came on and it quit and wouldn't ever try to download again. What's next.

#14 ·
what radio do you have?
If when you plug in an Ipod and you get the "error occurred" message, then you can not simply just go to the 2nd update that you were first trying to do. The reason is because updates look for particular SW versions. If the "error occurred" message is being displayed, then you are on SW version 43.1.10 as is on the label. The SW update for the streaming sound quality is looking for SW version 43.1.40 which is what it will be after performing the updates in the order that is listed in the 2nd link that I provided.
1) delete all of the update files on your computer,
2) download the file from this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5hx12l5j0ddvlab/both%20updatesHS%20uconnect.upd

3) this file has both of the updates in it and will look for the 43.1.30 that you currently have and should work.
4) when it is downloaded to your computer, rename the file to--
uconnect.upd,
5) now try it in the vehicle using the steps that have been provided in the other threads for performing it.

#17 ·
I haven't looked yet but here is my issue:

Went to dealer for oil change and asked them to update my radio(dealer said he could but had to order a disc). Anyway went in yesterday and got this done. Now my radio will not work at all. Nothing. It only shows the ram - Uconnect screen and then goes off and on like its trying to reboot. When the service advisor looked up my radio version it had never been updated so I know it probably needed all the updates. (My iPhone when plugged into the glove box would just display a error message in spanish and would never play, also the streaming sucked and skipped)

How can I get it working again? My radio is without nav

It seems like it needs a restart or something but I don't know where to start with that. They unplugged the battery and all that stuff. The only good thing is the dealer has ordered a new radio to replace it.

#18 ·
You actually have 2 different issues here:
1) the radio most likely had to low of a SW version to just jump in with a higher version. Usually I will try to do updates in steps and with the tech just going to a higher or more current Sw version, it's possible that the radio has been damaged. Also he may have not used the correct update disc for that radio. But as you mentioned, they have ordered a new radio for you.

2) The issue with the IPhone going into the "error" message and also the streaming audio issue (did it sound fast like the chipmunks?) If so then there is a Uconnect SW update that came out back in 2011 for these issues. Have the dealer apply TSB # 08-036-11 rev A to the Uconnect system. This is done using a thumb drive in the remote mounted USB connector.

#19 ·
Thanks for the reply. I got the radio installed thursday and all is good. Found the updates for the RBZ and did them in steps and awesome. :smileup:Looks much better and works better too. Also found your updates for the Uconnect and did the 1 update and it solved that. But I have a question about the updates? Is it just the one update for us or is there any other updates? Still don't have text ability with my iPhone which kinda sucks. The update for the Uconnect I used is the uconnect.upd file.

#22 ·
There are 2 updates for the 2011 Uconnect system, can you give me the link to the thread of the update that you did? You may still have one to perform. Also depends on the build date of the vehicle.
You won't get texting capabilities with the iPhone, Apple doesn't support MAP (Message Access Profile) the way other phones do and expects the supplier to conform to them instead of them (Apple) making the needed changes in order to work with Uconnect. If the supplier made changes in order to work with Apple, then there would be issues with all the other phones that currently work with Uconnect.

#20 ·
I am a newbie to this forum, so hopefully I am in the right area for this question. I recently purchased a 2011 Ram Big Horn and according to the build sheet my truck came equipped with the RESS Uconnect 130 AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo. However, when I push the Uconnect, or bluetooth buttons, nothing happens. Whats up? Do I have these features or not??

#23 ·
1) If when you press the Uconnect button, there are no voice prompts or you see "Uconnect not available", then it's not installed. You can find the MOPAR kit PN 82212159 & the optional iPod / USB cable PN 82212160 both online for about $250 for both parts. Then after the installation (which is simple) is done, the vehicle needs to go to the dealer to have it programmed for sales code RSP. Call around for this price, it'll range from 50 -$100.

2) As mentioned by GT yankee, you can replace your radio with an aftermarket radio with built in BT, iPod/ USB features, you'll need the radio, installation kit, CAN BUS & steering wheel control (if you have SWC buttons) adapter modules as well as the radio. One thing to remember is that an aftermarket radio will work in most vehicles unlike the factory radio. Because of this, the radio is desirable and is an invitation to theft.

#21 · (Edited)
someone correct me if i am mistaken

It sounds like your radio needs a external Uconnect Module

Chrysler has 2 different RES 130 radios
RES 130s, it has the phone hard key on the face of the radio, it uses the same uconnect module as the RBZ 430 & RHB 430 radios, if i recall correctly

RES 130 radio does not have a phone hard key, that radio uses a different Uconnect module

i believe the uconnect modules are placed in the passenger side kick panel

IF your radio does not have a uconnect module or it is malfunctioning, they are high priced, even on eBay
Personally i would install an after market radio & get all the features that you want & or need.
Go to the Crutchfield website & enter your Ram information, a page will appear & the page has options that are available, like Bluetooth, which is another name for Uconnect. The Crutchfield site will then list radios the are compatible for the model Ram that you have & the options that you have chosen
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/carselector.aspx?lp=/App/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx

#35 ·
The link above is to your post asking people to make a list if unhappy with the BT streaming. I don't see any links to an update.
Could you have possibly meant this one?
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127060&highlight=2011+uconnect+update
If so the link at the very bottom is not clickable.
The first link in this post to the uconnect.Upd is the one that I've done & it worked well. I'm still looking for the second uconnect update. Then I'll try to get the radio updated.

Thank you very much for your help.
Oh jeez. I think I figured it out. The 2nd update is linked in post #23 in your list request sticky. I was looking in the other one. Forgive me.

I have it on my thumb drive. Hopefully it works. Cheers~

#31 ·
Yes, that is for the radio only and it can be applied to the 2011 radios. If your current radio SW is 33.xx then you can apply it directly. If your radio SW is lower that 33.xx, then you'll want to go to 33.xx first, then do the 50.xx update. The 33.xx can be found with a little searching also.

#30 · (Edited)
I bought this truck a couple months ago. It's in a time warp. Looks like nothing has been updated. I did an update today that got rid of the chipmunks & BT streaming is pretty good now. I have no idea what version I have now. It wont pull up after pressing & holding the Uconnect button.

How do you know what version you're on? And where do I get the next update?

I don't get the whole Uconnect update vs radio update either..... I'm pretty sure I updated the Uconnect today. How do I update the radio? I had it at the dealer a couple weeks ago & asked them to make sure that radio had the most recent update. They said it does. I think they're wrong.

I have the 430 (non-N) RBZ radio.

#33 ·
Getting the Uconnect SW version by pressing those buttons is a supported feature on 2012 and newer vehicles. After doing the Uconnect updates, your module will have SW version 43.01.40
The radio has its own SW verssion which can be found by pressing the menu button --> system set up --> system information -->on that screen, you'll see the radio SW version. Then there are updates online for the radio.

#37 ·
It's far superior than what it was. Not on par with the radio or a CD but I'll take it. Thanks again.

I've taken the truck to 2 different RAM dealers. Both times I'd only gotten the first Uconnect update done and none to the radio. The radio has version 20.02.01 on it still. Both dealers told me that everything has the latest updates. One even scolded me saying, "the Internet is a dangerous place full of information that is impossible for us to do." CrAzY.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.