DODGE RAM FORUM banner

IPod and IPhone Fix

52K views 120 replies 35 participants last post by  vtrain 
#1 · (Edited)
I made the title simple to aid in searches.

There is a lot of talk of people having problems with their IPods, IPhones, Android phones with the 430 and 430N radios. The specific issue is usually the fact that they won't connect to the radio when plugged into the USB port in the glove box. In addition, the bluetooth streaming can sound like chipmunks have invaded your device (goes fast, then stops... then goes fast, then stops, repeat)

This was a major issue with all 2011 Chrysler radios. The blame seems to be on Apple for this but I also fault Chrysler for not getting updates out sooner.

There are fixes for this and they are software updates to the UConnect module as well as the radio. They are 2 seperate updates and they must both be done to have a stable system (I say this since my radio kept crashing when I only had the radio update without the UConnect update for a couple weeks but was stable since the UConnect update).

Below is the information you need to solve this problem. Please follow the link for the UConnect Update and read the instructions for the Radio update.

Uconnect Update
http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.php?p=569316&postcount=38

430N Radio Update
An Update Disk should have been sent to you but if you don't have it then request it from the dealer. You will know if you have the update simply by looking to see if Sirius Traffic is working or not. If it is not, and you have the 430N, then you need the update. If you have the 430 (non-nav) then you will have to ask the dealer to install it like I did.

I hope this helps and I hope this ends the frustration that many new users are having with this issue.

See less See more
#101 ·
My RHB will not recognize the thumb drive. UConnect just says reconnect and try again.

To note: I formatted the thumb drive as described and the only file on the drive is the .upd file. My stereo has the radio update for travel link... I'm not sure what else I can do. Ram customer service and the dealership just gives me the run around. The USB slot in the glove box will charge my iPod but the radio doesn't recognize it as a device to play music from.

Any assistance would be awesome
PFA
2011 Ram Sport

#102 ·
Do you know what the build date of the truck is? Also if you don't mind dropping the glovebox down to the floor and look inside the dash opening to the far right, you'll see the Uconnect module (about 4"x6"). Can you take a picture of it so I can see the PN of the module? Thanks

#105 · (Edited)
Help!!!

Just attempted to update my 430N RBH for the first time following the directions in the above posts. I now have no bluetooth, uconnect, iPod capabilities. Can someone please help me. I am not sure why this didn't work for me as it has for everyone else. Please....I need help.

I tried the following to help remedy the problem:

1) Turned ignition off and back on.
2) Disconnected the battery twice, for a period of no less than 5 minutes, which did reboot the media center both times with no change.
3) Called uconnect / Chrysler for technical support of which they were clueless and suggested I take my truck into the dealer.

Unfortunately none of the above have helped in any way.

I tried to potentially re-run the update but the glove box usb port isn't working (grayed out). The usb port on the front of the media center works but isn't meant to update the uconnect software and wont recognize the flash drive update file.

#106 ·
Generally when this type of a problem happens, there was an issue with power during the update. An issue with power could be any of the below:
1) battery died during the update,
2) the ign was turned off before the update was completed,
3) a battery charger was used during the process but it was on the "high" setting,
4) the flash drive was removed before the process was completed.

If there was an incompatibility of the file and the module that you have, you would have rec'd an error message that the file was not compatible.
What does the radio display when you press the Uconnect button (anything)?

Just attempted to update my 430N RBH for the first time following the directions in the above posts. I now have no bluetooth, uconnect, iPod capabilities. Can someone please help me. I am not sure why this didn't work for me as it has for everyone else. Please....I need help.

I tried the following to help remedy the problem:

1) Turned ignition off and back on.
2) Disconnected the battery twice, for a period of no less than 5 minutes, which did reboot the media center both times with no change.
3) Called uconnect / Chrysler for technical support of which they were clueless and suggested I take my truck into the dealer.

Unfortunately none of the above have helped in any way.

I tried to potentially re-run the update but the glove box usb port isn't working (grayed out). The usb port on the front of the media center works but isn't meant to update the uconnect software and wont recognize the flash drive update file.

#107 ·
When I push the uconnect button the radio does nothing. I get no voice prompt or visusal cue that the botton was pushed. Almost as if the uconnect is disconected. Below is a detailed account of the procedure and results.

1) I followed the instructions listed in post #94.
2) I stayed in the truck the entire time the update took place. Never turning the truck off or removing the USB flash drive from the glovebox USB port.
3) After the update completed the radio came back on and music started to play.
4) I plugged in my iPod to the glovebox USB port and noticed it wasent charging.
5) Started to push the uconnect button and voice prompt button with no response or change to my media center. No voice commands no instructions.
6) Turned egnition off and restarted my truck with no changes.
7) Disconnected the battery twice, for no less than 5 minutes each time, with no change.

Durning the update process I did hear the beeping of which it eventually stopped and the radio came back on. At no time, to my knowladge, was there a battery surg nor did I have a charger hooked up during the update process. I did eventually remove the flash drive only after I performed the trouble shooting. Also, I never once received a single error code during the entire process.

#108 ·
following post # 102, can you get a picture of the module that is in your truck and post it?

When I push the uconnect button the radio does nothing. I get no voice prompt or visusal cue that the botton was pushed. Almost as if the uconnect is disconected. Below is a detailed account of the procedure and results.

1) I followed the instructions listed in post #94.
2) I stayed in the truck the entire time the update took place. Never turning the truck off or removing the USB flash drive from the glovebox USB port.
3) After the update completed the radio came back on and music started to play.
4) I plugged in my iPod to the glovebox USB port and noticed it wasent charging.
5) Started to push the uconnect button and voice prompt button with no response or change to my media center. No voice commands no instructions.
6) Turned egnition off and restarted my truck with no changes.
7) Disconnected the battery twice, for no less than 5 minutes each time, with no change.

Durning the update process I did hear the beeping of which it eventually stopped and the radio came back on. At no time, to my knowladge, was there a battery surg nor did I have a charger hooked up during the update process. I did eventually remove the flash drive only after I performed the trouble shooting. Also, I never once received a single error code during the entire process.

#111 ·
Xsdbs,

I can't respond to your PM because im not permited yet. I appreciate all the help you've offered. Fortunately, I got on the phone with Dodge Ram and explained the situation and was able to convenice them to approve a replacement module. Also, I was having some problems with my a/c blower motor and was able to get that replaced as well. In the end it all worked out. Even though it sucked at first I ended getting a new module and blower motor for free. I also made sure I had the most up to date software on my module before I left the dealer. Everything works like a champ now.

Don't fully understand what happened during the update process but I got free stuff out this whole ordeal which makes it all worth it. :smileup:

#112 ·
well cool, glad that you were able to get everything taken care of. I'm not real sure what happened with your module. What I do know is that there has been over 1,200 downloads of that update and no complaints like the one you had. Just glad that you were able to stand your ground and get the dealer to handle it.

Xsdbs,

I can't respond to your PM because im not permited yet. I appreciate all the help you've offered. Fortunately, I got on the phone with Dodge Ram and explained the situation and was able to convenice them to approve a replacement module. Also, I was having some problems with my a/c blower motor and was able to get that replaced as well. In the end it all worked out. Even though it sucked at first I ended getting a new module and blower motor for free. I also made sure I had the most up to date software on my module before I left the dealer. Everything works like a champ now.

Don't fully understand what happened during the update process but I got free stuff out this whole ordeal which makes it all worth it. :smileup:

#116 ·
Does this update enable the glove box plug in to charge my iPod? It works great from there, and connects with my nano. It just doesn't charge it. I've downloaded my library to the hard drive anyway, so I don' t want to lose that ( 13 cds with 90 plus songs on them each, took a long time). I would like to charge my iPod out of sight, though.

#118 ·
How can I get the update? I clicked on it from the beginning of this post and it says the file isnt there anymore. My 430N won't recognize my iphone 4s when i plug it into the front usb port. I would like to download all of my music off my phone into the radios hard drive.

Thanks,,,,,,,Jason 216-269-4346 this is killing me

#120 ·
Jason,
The radio does not support the profile needed for Apple devices, only the Uconnect module does. The front USB connector will not play the media files from the iPod. It will only charge the battery. This connector is used for playing and downloading media files and pictures from a thumb drive.
Apple devices will only play from the remote mounted USB connector in the glovebox.
You'll need to download the iTunes files to a thumb drive from your directory and then download them from there.

#119 ·
I don't believe the iPhones will do that. You should be able to plug into the USB in the glove box and listen to your music directly from your phone. However if you want that music on the radios hard drive you will have to put it on a memory stick first. At least that's how I remember it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.