DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2011 Uconnect streaming audio quality

57K views 101 replies 45 participants last post by  Ram Enthusiast 
#1 · (Edited)
Moderators, would it be possible to have this thread set up as a Stcky?

I have been asked to see if I can get an idea of how many people are disapointed with the Uconnect streaming audio sound quality.
I would like to start a list of people with any of the 2011 Chrysler brands (Chrysler, Dodge Jeep) that also have a Mitsubishi radio in the vehicle (RES, REQ, RBZ, RHB). I mention all three because people will fnd similar information on an issue when searching online but may have a different CHrysler brand.
Let's start a numbered list please. You can quote the reply from the next person, cut out the names and place them into he body of your reply, then add your information. What I need is your screen name, vehicle type and radio model. Thanks for your assistance.

EX: (example will be contiued in the next reply)

xsdbs 2011 Wrangler RHB

#46 ·
This update worked perfectly, thanks for posting it.

When I stream audio I have to turn the volume up on my phone, I suppose to boost the input levels.
Is there a way around that?

It's so much nicer to be able to play music from my phone without plugging into the glovebox, and I can use all the genius data!

Thanks!

#50 ·
I performed the recommended software update, and BT reliability was enhanced greatly. It paired easily with my phone (iPhone 4S), and I can control the functions of the music delivery (forward, back, play, pause) with the steering wheel and/or radio controls just fine (with a short delay).

The audio quality over this medium just isn't that great, though. It's highly compressed and not particularly dynamic, especially if you listen to music that has a high dynamic range. While I appreciate that I can stream music over BT, I find that I prefer when the device is plugged in, either through the glove box media plug or the 1/8" stereo plug on the front of the radio.

But that's just me ;) And, of course, there's still the 40-ish GB HD in the unit, which is still empty at this point. I should really do something about that!

~Chris

#51 ·
Chris, I'm glad that the update helped. The problem with the higher bitpool is that there is more compression. But Uconnect had to raise the bitpool rate to keep up with the phones, when they raised their bitpool rate then customers complained about some distortion. So they raised the rate to get away from distortion, another issue that happened because of this was that now there is more possibility of interference from other airwave sources and this can cause dropped packets from the phone to Uconnect which sounds like a record skipping.
A wired connection is direct and thus will send better, you have more control features and also you have the ability to charge the battery during playback.

#57 ·
Hi XSDBS. I sent you an email a few days ago. But I am not sure if you are still using that account or not. (I am not trying to be annoying :( Really lol) I am looking to update my radio further from when we chatted at the end of June 2012. Here is the info on my RBZ in my 2011 Ram - Build Date 7/11 - 63.02.48 V: HS: d6 - Application 23.04.41 - Audio CPU 021511 - System 0203 .

I am wondering if there is a software update for the radio and for the uconnect? I am having some strange problems with the radio and the dealer is being less than helpful.

My major issue is that the backup camera will work fine in full color sometimes and other times it is showing a very dull black and white image. Also when I push the media button to cycle through the sources I now get a VES button that shows up. But I have never had a VES system, the option just started showing up lately.

I would love to try and update the software or even force a full system default restore. If this is possible in anyway…. ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

#59 ·
Not to worry, you're not being annoying. I've just been extremely busy with work and moving lately. As for the SW updates, I'm pretty sure that I have something for the radio but the Uconnect SW hasn't changed. The same SW that you have is still being used in the current vehicle builds. If I remember correctly, there was a TSB issued by Chrysler for camera related issues. I'm not sure why suddenly you're seeing the VES tab. Let me look into this for you and get back about it, ok. Thanks

#63 ·
@ wiccid,
Actually I have 2 updates available for the 2011 and both do something different but you'll want to do them both in the order that I have listed them in the link below:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=127060&highlight=2011+uconnect+update

Just wanted to post an update on the file I received from xsdbs, I updated the radio on the way to work this morning. From my 10min initial parking lot test, so far so good. The mystery VES tab is no longer accessible and the few times I used the backup camera this morning show no issues with picture quality or it getting stuck in black and white.

On a side note about the file I received, I had trouble burning the ISO image file I received. It would not burn in Nero or Iso Burn, I had luck using ImgBurn though so if anyone has trouble I suggest you give that a try.

Thank you xsdbs, it appears you have fixed the issues that my dealer could not, and was not willing to diagnose for me.

Have a great week guys.
Thanks again.

@ EdmontonRam,
I'm glad that file was able to help you out. I don't have that one listed as a public file so I hope that others don't think that it's this particular file in this thread.
I may look into that issue that you had burning it, I had a member from another forum that showed me how to host files that I have to make it easier for people to get. I sent him the files and he created the version that I put onto my mediafire account and he was the only other person to use it till I gave the link to you. Seems quite odd that the dealer wouldn't take care of it or help you out at all. But I'm glad that I could assist you again.

#64 ·
Hello everyone.... Does anyone know where I can download the latest Software for the RHB radio in my 2011 Ram? I found the 33.01.23 software update. But I keep seeing reference to a 43.xx.xx ver. Is it real? I'd love a link to an ISO image.

I just bought a uconnect module, harness and mic and installed it last week. And strangely, there was already a uconnect module on the wall behind the glove box (same part number and also had a SW version). But it did not work at all. I installed the wiring harness and the new module and its working (sorta) with the 33.01.23 update and the 1st uconnect update. I have to apply the second update yet.

I thought there was supposed to be an activation of some type, but it worked right away. Very odd.

My steering wheel does not have the uconnect buttons in it. I've seen some pics of steering wheels with up/down and uconnect buttons in the cluster. Can that be changed out? Are the necessary wires and connections there? is it a simple process? Has anyone done it and possibly have a part number?

Thanks all!

Chris

#65 ·
The radio SW version won't cause any negative effects on the Uconnect system. It's only for the radio. What is the version of the Uconnect module itself & PN?
1) What do you mean by "it works sorta"?
2) What issues are you having?
3) If the vehicle never had Uconnect installed, then you would have to have the TPIM flashed for sales code "RSP" in order for it to power up and work.
4) You should be able to just add the SWC switches to the steering wheel. The data is sent across the CAN BUS lines which are already there for the other switch functions.

#66 ·
XSDBS... Thanks for the reply.

I purchased the "Mopar Factory OEM Uconnect Phone, Bluetooth Wireless Hands-Free, iPod Integration Kit - Part # 82212159" off eBay. My radio is the RHB and the truck has the Alpine Sound System.

I actually took a pic of what was there and what I bought. Left is the new module... the right is that is bolted to the wall. Sorry for the large image. You can see they are the same.

So the module on the right is bolted in from behind the fender and I can't remove the bolts. So I just used double sided tape and stuck the new one to the one that was there. I did not expect it to work. As you said. the TPIM needs to be flashed. But when I plugged it in using the new harness... it worked. I then tried the harness with the original module and it did not work. So I'm baffled. Even stranger is that the original module was completely connected. The USB and the large DIN plug was part of the original truck wiring harness. I can only assume there was no mic. I could not find one in the truck. I simply unplugged the origional connector and let it dangle. then i moved the USB connector over and plugged in the new mic I bought.

My iphone Iphone 4 not 4s) does not work well. It stutters and does not manage well from the radio. Plays the wrong songs, lags. It shows up on the AUX tab and I assume that album art is not supposed to feed to the radio. Sometimes it totally disconnects and gives me an error message. The streaming seems to work. But the whole point of using the wire is so it charges.

I downloaded the 2 files in your post. I did the 1st one but then I looked and the second one is very small in size (4.2 meg as opposed to the 1st 10 meg file). So I don't know if i should apply it. Does it apply the same way?

I like to keep my hardware up to current revisions which is why i asked for a ver 43 ISO if it existed.
Does this update exist? do you have a link to it?

Thanks for your help.

Chris

#67 ·
Chris,
Did you look on the rear view mirror for the mic? That's where it usually is on the Ram.
As for the files, the 1st file is actually larger because there is quite a bit of an update on it. The 2nd file isn't a complete SW upgrade, it is only changing the bit pool rate of the streaming audio to give better sound quality so it is smaller. The 2 of them make for a complete update, they weren't released at the same time as a single unit update. Hope that helps.
As for the 43.00.11 Update for the radio itself, I do have a contact for it but I'll have to pull some teeth to get it because it''s not a released item from Chrysler and I don't want to get him in any trouble. I'll see what I can do.

#68 ·
xsdbs,

I took my truck in for service and they told me that I was current on the radio software. so you are correct the 43.xx ver is not in their system. They did change the flag in the TPIM. All in all... I saw no change in the operation.

I am really disappointed in the interface with the iphone. My stock radio in my Toyota Venza works so much better. I may opt to look into an aftermarket unit in the future.

The uconnect does whatever it feels like doing. tell it to play a song and it plays the one before or after it... and then stops. And the 30 to 60 second "Reading" thing is really annoying. I cant deal with the GPS being locked when the car is in motion either.

I kinda figured that in today's day and age that this would work a lot better. But I guess It's typical of a Stock radio.

Thanks for your help.

#69 ·
Chris,
You may be having some issues because you're trying to use the Uconnect system the same as you do in your Toyota. BT carkits are not all the same and do function differently. The voice commands might be different which can cause issues. Actually, people have been pleased with the performance after the updates.
I would be interested in your taking a short video of you trying to use Uconnect and the iPhone, I may see something that I'm missing in text.
As for being able to input navigation info while driving, this is a legal issue that Chrysler would rather stay away from. Even in aftermarket radios, most won't allow you to do this unless they support it in speech. The tapping in of an address on the radio screen is the same as texting while driving and you know how the law is taking to that driver distraction.
There are electronic modules that you can buy to defeat this safety feature but they're not cheap, though they do offer other driver distraction features as well.

#70 ·
xsdbs,

I rarely use BT (other than for phone calls) and i don't use the voice commands. I simply plug the phone into the USB and play music. I find BT streaming kind of counter productive as it drains the battery of the phone. I live in the NYC area and an iphone is at 50% battery by 1pm. Using USB charges the phone. I just installed ios7 to test it and I'm hoping that i don't have any additional issues. I have not been in the truck yet to see.

I'll try and do a video if I can of the quirkiness.

Chris

#72 ·
Thanks to xsdbs

I just installed xsdbs's update on a '11 Outdoorsman w/ the 430 RBZ radio. Bluetooth streaming with my iPhone sounds about 10X better than before. I had my original radio replaced under warranty about a year back because it was randomly rebooting itself on startup. They did the first TSB update on the uConnect module apparently, because it didn't sound like chipmunks anymore after I got the truck back. I couldn't stand to use bluetooth streaming due to the terrible quality though. Thanks for the work on all this xsdbs :smileup:

#73 ·
cool, glad that it helped you out.

I just installed xsdbs's update on a '11 Outdoorsman w/ the 430 RBZ radio. Bluetooth streaming with my iPhone sounds about 10X better than before. I had my original radio replaced under warranty about a year back because it was randomly rebooting itself on startup. They did the first TSB update on the uConnect module apparently, because it didn't sound like chipmunks anymore after I got the truck back. I couldn't stand to use bluetooth streaming due to the terrible quality though. Thanks for the work on all this xsdbs :smileup:

#74 ·
Speaking of using the data usb cable. Has anyone tried to use a usb hub to connect multiple devices. I only ask this because I have the wire running down threw the center stack an ipod connector and a mini usb for my phone. No I listen to the music from my old iphone. But I am charging my cell and on occasion using the data cable. I'm looking for convenience. And not clutter.

#75 ·
I haven't tried this but I can see a couple of issues that could come up:
1) the data lines from each device would be active and possibly cause a reading error.
2) The USB power output is rated at 5 volts and 1/2 amp, having more than on device on that connector could cause the power supply in the Uconnect module to fail due to trying to draw to much current.

#77 ·
what is the build date of the truck?
If you're not sure, then can you take a picture of the Uconnect module and post it. Drop the glovebox down to ward the floor and look inside the dash, you'll see the module to the far right of the dash.

#86 ·
omg so glad i found this thread.

i have a 2011 that has been plagued with the poor quality tinny sounding bluetooth audio. I had done the first update right when my iphone started having issues with the chipmunk skipping audio. But for years i'd dealt with the crappy bluetooth audio. Now after this update it is greatly improved... i no longer will have to use my aux cable out of the headphone jack.

thanks a ton!

also did the software update for the radio itself. from 20.02.01 to the 33.01.23 then to 50.00.07

everything went smooth. loving it!

#87 ·
I have a 2011 Chrysler 200 S That I am trying to sell, partially because the radio sucks, barely connects to my phone, Bluetooth is crappy quality and delayed from my phone. All around crap radio.

1) xsdbs 2011 Wrangler RHB
2) 4play1 2011 RAm RBZ
3) lcpldurante 2011 Chrysler 200 430N/RHB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.