DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2011 Uconnect streaming audio quality

57K views 101 replies 45 participants last post by  Ram Enthusiast 
#1 · (Edited)
Moderators, would it be possible to have this thread set up as a Stcky?

I have been asked to see if I can get an idea of how many people are disapointed with the Uconnect streaming audio sound quality.
I would like to start a list of people with any of the 2011 Chrysler brands (Chrysler, Dodge Jeep) that also have a Mitsubishi radio in the vehicle (RES, REQ, RBZ, RHB). I mention all three because people will fnd similar information on an issue when searching online but may have a different CHrysler brand.
Let's start a numbered list please. You can quote the reply from the next person, cut out the names and place them into he body of your reply, then add your information. What I need is your screen name, vehicle type and radio model. Thanks for your assistance.

EX: (example will be contiued in the next reply)

xsdbs 2011 Wrangler RHB

#2 · (Edited)
I have been asked to see if I can get an idea of how many people are disapointed with the Uconnect streaming audio sound quality.
I would like to start a list of people with any of the 2011 Chrysler brands (Chrysler, Dodge Jeep) that also have a Mitsubishi radio in the vehicle (RES, REQ, RBZ, RHB). I mention all three because people will fnd similar information on an issue when searching online but may have a different CHrysler brand.
Let's start a numbered list please. You can quote the reply from the next person, cut out the names and place them into he body of your reply, then add your information. What I need is your screen name, vehicle type and radio model. Thanks for your assistance.

EX: (here you'll notice that I cut my information out and added it into the body of my reply below).

1) xsdbs 2011 Wrangler RHB

#6 ·
Ok, great. Is it possible to start the list and add your information as in the example that I provided? It won't work very well with a buch of replies about the issue. that way there is a list with the number of members. Thanks

2) 4play1 2011 RAm RBZ

#11 ·
Blue tooth sound quality sucks. Rather use audio cord
2) 4play1 2011 Ram RBZ
3) new2ram 2011 Ram RHB

#10 ·
you sir will want to go to the thread that is linked below and see my post #41. I have the update file and instructions that you need for your particular issue there.

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108564&page=5&highlight=2012+uconnect

******NOTE****** this is not the update that I am talking about for this thread about streaming audio, most members here have already performed this update which was for the choppy audio. This update would need to be done first before the next (possible) update would be performed.

#14 ·
Buccaneezer, Glad that I could help you out with that update. Hopefully between the 8 forums that I have this thread posted in, I'll get enough names to show that it is an issue. I have already been in discussions about it to a couple engineers that I know. They have shown interest but want to know how big of an issue it is.

2) 4play1 2011 Ram RBZ
3) new2ram 2011 Ram RHB
4) rgreen252 2011 Ram RHB
5) buccaneezer 2011 Ram RBZ

I had serious issues streaming bluetooth audio exactly described and resolved in this post by the OP. I don't use it a lot, but at least now it's an option!

2) 4play1 2011 Ram RBZ
3) new2ram 2011 Ram RHB

#15 ·
Streaming audio and phone call audio quality are both sub-par. Also, having to manually choose Dock Connector on iPhone and wait ~30 seconds for "Reading" sucks too.

2) 4play1 2011 Ram RBZ
3) new2ram 2011 Ram RHB
6) dwzild 2011 Ram RBZ

#16 ·
@ dwzild,
what is the build date of your truck? If it was built prior to 6-1-2011 have you had the TSB 08-036-11 revA applied to the Uconnect? If not and you don't want to hit the dealer for it, I have the update file and instructions. This may take care of part of this issue that you're having.
The choosing of the "Dock connector" was a force play that Apple was trying to make and have streaming audio the priority audio output, where you can direct the audio to the Apple tv, speakers, or any other Bluetooth device that the phone is paired to. Chrysler wants the USB connection to be the priority controller because you're in a "Hands Free environment", so if you're in BT mode and you plug the iPhone into the docking cable (with the update) Uconnect will automatically click onto the "docking" mode.
The waiting during the reading mode, will happen the first time that the phone is plugged into the docking cable because Apple is sending all the meta data to Uconnect to put into a library. This time frame will be different depending on the amount of material that you have on the iPod / iPhone.

#18 ·
@XSDBS,

Apparently, I have the newer "2012" uConnect HFM. I was able to apply the 08-018-12 update. I no longer have to chose which output to use when USB cable is connected. uConnect BT is no longer an option when plugged in. Haven't played with it too much. I'll tinker around tomorrow. Thanks for all your info in multiple threads on multiple forums.

I don't want to steer this thread in the wrong direction b/c I know you are trying to get 2011 BT issues resolved. Just wanted to give you a shout out.

Thanks again.

#19 ·
@ dwzild
Great, so it seems that your system is now working correctly. Steraming audio won't be an option while the docking cable is pluggen in. This the way that Chrysler wants it and the only way to work around Apples desire to be in control. If for some reason that you want to stream audio and charge the phone / iPod at the same time, then what I did was to purchase a USB charger that fits into the cig lighter port.
But really there are several reasons to go with the docking cable but these are the main ones:
1) full library control thru the radio by browsing or voice commands,
2) charging during play,

@XSDBS,

Apparently, I have the newer "2012" uConnect HFM. I was able to apply the 08-018-12 update. I no longer have to chose which output to use when USB cable is connected. uConnect BT is no longer an option when plugged in. Haven't played with it too much. I'll tinker around tomorrow. Thanks for all your info in multiple threads on multiple forums.

I don't want to steer this thread in the wrong direction b/c I know you are trying to get 2011 BT issues resolved. Just wanted to give you a shout out.

Thanks again.

#22 ·
just a little update on the 2011 streaming audio sound quality in vehicles with the Mitsubishi radios (RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB).
The update is being worked on and there is an iPod issue that is being worked on also. The iPod issue is where a song starts to play, then there is about a 1 second pause, then play continues. If both issues can be fixed with the amount of memory left in the module, this will be great. I'll let you know more when I hear anything.

#23 ·
OK, so here's the update for the Bluetooth Streaming audio on 2011 vehicles with 1 of the following radios ONLY:
RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB
For 2011 vehicles built prior to 6-1-2011 that have already had either 1 of these TSBs performed (#08-036-11, 08-036-11 rev A, 08-019-12). Your vehicle must have 1 of these TSBs performed. If your vehicle has not had the TSB performed, please let me know and I’ll help walk you thru what you need to do.
1) This is an update for the Bluetooth streaming audio sound quality.
2) There was not enough memory left to safely do anything for the iPod stutter at the beginning of the next track.

Here's the file and instructions for the 2011 Uconnect Bitpool update.
***Important note: Please make sure that the vehicle battery power is not interrupted. This could cause damage to the update and the module. The best procedure is to have the vehicle running during the process. *****
You will need a thumb drive of at least 1GB. If you have files on the thumb drive, please delete them and format the drive (to FAT32) just to make sure that it is completely clean
Download it to the thumb drive that has no other files on it. Once it is downloaded to the thumb drive, please rename it so the file is uconnect.upd (basically delete everything up to Uconnect.upd).
Turn the radio on, Place the thumb drive in the center console or glove box USB connector on vehicles with the factory installed unit. If you have the Mopar kit installed, the USB connector may be in the glove box. This cable is an optional cable <PN 82212160> and may not have been installed if the kit was installed at the Dealer.
Press and release the Uconnect button and say “set up, software update”. You should hear "update started". This process should take about 10 - 15 minutes; there will be some beeps during the process. Please listen during the update for any error message that may be said by Uconnect. When the update is completed, the radio screen will go back to a radio display.

High Speed CAN BUS vehicles use the link below for downloading the file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ovyaa0n1cbuhs97
Low Speed CAN BUS vehicles use the link below for downloading the file:
<I have added the Low Speed CAN BUS file here also because people from other forums and with other vehicles will possibly find this thread and if I didn't have it listed, I would have to start a new thread for it. So I'm just saving some time (perhaps just being lazy) for others ans well as myself>
http://www.mediafire.com/?6are7vroedrjdoz
Please reply back with your results. I have tested it myself and have also had a couple of friends test it for me.

#25 ·
UConnect BT Streaming Audio - Skips

The bluetooth audio streaming from my iPhone 4S.. to my 130S system skips like a record player or a cd player when you bump it.... but just randomly... not constantly... but enough to make it annoying.

I have been reading many posts on issues with the BT streaming here and have tried to apply three different updates. None have successfully installed.

I can see my current software version is 63.02.48 V: HS: d2.

When I try to install an update it just says please insert an update in the control module and try again.. I am using a clean FAT32 flash drive in the control module located in the glove box.

Is there any solution to this problem?

#26 ·
You have the most current SW version in your system. That's why you can't apply the update. I would try rebooting the phone itself. This is dne by holding the power and home buttons till the apple appears, then release them. The phone will now reboot.
The issue that others are having with the streaming audio is the sound quality and not the type of skipping that you are describing.

The bluetooth audio streaming from my iPhone 4S.. to my 130S system skips like a record player or a cd player when you bump it.... but just randomly... not constantly... but enough to make it annoying.

I have been reading many posts on issues with the BT streaming here and have tried to apply three different updates. None have successfully installed.

I can see my current software version is 63.02.48 V: HS: d2.

When I try to install an update it just says please insert an update in the control module and try again.. I am using a clean FAT32 flash drive in the control module located in the glove box.

Is there any solution to this problem?

#30 ·
The iPhone UCONNECT update from the other thread installed ok, and fixed a bunch of issues that I had with using my iPhone in my truck. THANK YOU!!

However, this particular update does not seem to be taking. FAT32 formatted a USB flash drive, copied the uconnect.upd file onto it after DLing and renaming from this thread. I inserted the drive into the glovebox USB port. I then tried the voice commands that you mention in your instructions, but I get the "not recognized command." so i went back to the previous UCONNECT thread and saw that you pressed and held the uconnect button to initiate the upload. I tried that method, and still got nothing.

Has anyone been able to successfully update their system with this TSB? If so, did it resolve the crappy streaming sound?

#31 ·
Please excuse my dumb question, but I need to ask because others have done this..
1) you sure that you're not pressing the Uconnect voice button by mistake?
2) If you are actually pressing the Uconnect phone button, then can you try renaming the file to uconnect.upn and try it again.

The iPhone UCONNECT update from the other thread installed ok, and fixed a bunch of issues that I had with using my iPhone in my truck. THANK YOU!!

However, this particular update does not seem to be taking. FAT32 formatted a USB flash drive, copied the uconnect.upd file onto it after DLing and renaming from this thread. I inserted the drive into the glovebox USB port. I then tried the voice commands that you mention in your instructions, but I get the "not recognized command." so i went back to the previous UCONNECT thread and saw that you pressed and held the uconnect button to initiate the upload. I tried that method, and still got nothing.

Has anyone been able to successfully update their system with this TSB? If so, did it resolve the crappy streaming sound?

#34 ·
I tried the update, after two minutes, it said the used archive is not compatible with this unit. I have the RHB unit.
I did play with the bluetooth after this attempt, here is the issue. I get the skipping sound and fast forward sound BUT.... once the iphone screen goes black, (takes about a minute for my phone) the streaming works well. When i push the iphone button, blue tooth sounds like crap again, i leave the phone alone till it goes to sleep and the streaming sounds great again! I can live with this but would like to get it to work perfect. Just thought id share with others, you may want to try it to see if this is the case for you too.

#37 ·
The 2 easiest ways that would tell me if you did the 1st update is
1) to plug in an iPod or iPhone to the docking cable, does Uconnect read the iPod and start play or is there an "error occurred" displayed on the radio screen? (if it reads and starts to play, then the update was done)

2) Try streaming audio from the phone, does it sound like the chipmunks? (If the streaming audio is not playing fast and choppy then the update was done).

***note - if you are using an iPhone to test the streaming audio, in order to really test it to see if it is playing fast is to have it playing then press the home button on the phone so that the backlighting is on, then if the audio doesn't play fast, the update was done****

I believe i did the first update over a Month ago. Is there way i can tell for sure? -Thanks

#38 ·
3rd Radio-How do I tell which software version?

I am on the 3rd radio (RHB) in my 2011. I had an issue with the first one and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Then the dealer called me back a few weeks later and replaced the 2nd one because of a programming issue, IIRC. So now I am on my 3rd radio. How can I tell what my software version is? :confused: I am having some issues with the bluetooth and my iPhone 5 as well.

#39 ·
:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:
1) what was wrong with the 1st radio?
2) a "programming issue"? The dealer just called you without your having a problem and told you that there was a programming issue with the radio?
3) On the RHB radio, press the "menu" button--> system set up --> system information --> the the radio SW is across from "application".
4) Now if your asking about what SW is in the Uconnect module, you'll need to drop the glovebox down to the floor, look inside the dash structure to the far right, you'll see a black module about 4"x6". You'll see the SW version there. (can you take a picture of it and post it)
5) Have you had any Uconnect SW updates or TSBs done on the truck?
6) What are the issues that you're having with the iPhone5? also what network are you on?

I am on the 3rd radio (RHB) in my 2011. I had an issue with the first one and the dealer replaced it under warranty. Then the dealer called me back a few weeks later and replaced the 2nd one because of a programming issue, IIRC. So now I am on my 3rd radio. How can I tell what my software version is? :confused: I am having some issues with the bluetooth and my iPhone 5 as well.

#43 ·
thanks xsdbs!

I just purchased a used 2011 RAM 1500 Longhorn edition with the RHB unit. After figuring out that my iPhone would not stream properly, I scoured the web and thankfully found this thread. I have successfully applied the TSB update and on my way home will apply the 2nd update to fix the BT streaming audio quality. THis functionality is very important to me so I wanted to say THANK YOU!

I have also seen comments about updating "Gracenotes". Can anyone briefly explain what it does and whether or not it will need updated separately?

Lastly and slightly off topic - are there any other updates to the system that I should be looking for? I thought I saw somehting out there about the rear view camera or something?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the help.

#44 · (Edited)
Recent update - 33.01.23

I performed this update last night. It apparently has a bunch of stuff in it including updates for navigation as well as audio. After doing the update, I was able to stream audio over BT but the volume level was very low. If I plug into the usb, it sounds great. Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas why streaming BT still has very low volume? I wonder if this supercedes the fixes listed in this thread or if I need to go back and perform these again??

I found this at: http://www.mofv.com/mygig/ then go to FORUMS and SOFTWARE UPDATES then COMING SOON RBZ/RHB UPDATE 33.01.23.

UPDATE: After the phone re-paired with Uconnect the volume issue improved greatly. Its still a couple of volume levels below radio but the sound is very good. I am generally happy with it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.