DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HIDs for friends 2006 Ram 1500

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LSxFBODYgen3 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'll try to make this short as to not take up lots of your time.

I have a friend at work who has a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 (thats all I know about his truck). I have a 2005 Toyota Matrix and offered to sell him my HID 35 watt ballasts. I told him I would have to pick up some new bulbs though because his truck takes a different bulb type than my car. After doing some quick research I found that the 06 Ram 1500 has a hi/lo beam combonation and takes the H13 (9008) bulb. Is this correct? Also If I gave him my ballasts and bought some new bulbs that are the H13 hi/lo type, would it be a simple plug-n-play for installation and, voila! HIDs work? Or is there more work than that? I know in my Toyota we have different bulbs for hi and lo and its an easy plug-n-play for them to work. As long as we disable our DRLs since our low beams are our DRLs. I think I also found out with the Dodge Rams your DRLs are your fog lights, so I wouldn't have to worry about disabling anything.

Any help would be great guys, I'm hoping I can sell him my HIDs ballasts and get him the right bulbs for hus truck and make this all work. But i wanna do my H/W before hand and know what I'm doing. I've never really worked on trucks before!

#5 ·
I would be inclined to guess that your HID kit would not be plug and play for the Ram. The kits don't tend to be universal since you are plugging the kit into the headlight wiring. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I've been researching HID's for my 09 and they tend to be model specific.

#6 ·
You are very correct. Even much so that there were alot of problems in the past of HID kits on dodges having a flickering problem(causing premature failure). There are now kits from vendors(which support this site) that sell plug and play kits for very reasonable prices. Honestly its easier to just buy a new kit thats plug and play. I want to get one but money can be better spent somewhere else right now. I do need HID more and more now that I drive longer to work and its winter and all(gets darker alot earlier)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.