DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Disable remote start?

17K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  300m 
#1 ·
More than once I have started my truck unknowingly with my key fob in my pocket. Today I heard it start and thought someone was stealing it. Any one know a simple way to disable this feature? It's a 2011 with the factory system

#3 ·
After the truck is locked, momentarily set off the panic. The remote start is disabled until the truck is started with the key in the ignition. :)

#4 ·
Ok I found a permanent fix - there is a switch connected to the hood latch that I disconnected, this is a safety interlock that won't allow remote start with the hood open. Imagine pushing the button by accident when you are working on the engine !Now it thinks the hood is open and remote start is disabled.

#5 ·
You post it a few years ago
The trick to momentary activate the panic to disable the remote start.
3 years later still useful to me "almost" exactly the trick i was looking for.

But, i start looking for that trick because after leaving my truck at rest for maybe two weeks i try to remote start the truck but nothing happen even the parking light did not flash, then i unlock and relock the doors, and the remote came back to live and start the truck???
I never go outside, never start the truck with the fob in the ignition key switch. then i said to myself there must be a trick to do that. your trick is good but you must go out to restart the truck with ignition.

Just wondering if you knew a trick how to remotely deactivate and reactivate the remote starter.

Anyway thanks for that one

Crusty

#6 ·
For those who want to fix the problem, here's what to do.
Open the FOB by prying the 2 halves apart, after removing the key, then, using a jeweller's Phillips screwdriver, push down hard on the screw head before turning the screw: IT IS TIGHT.
Once opened, remove the battery, and using contact cleaner, clean the tiny gold contacts.
On mine, the tiny cupped disc that shorts out the 2 gold contacts when pressed, was loose and moving around, causing the engine to start on its own; I glued it back on with silicone rubber, and the problem is fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.