DODGE RAM FORUM banner

High speed movement??

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Daven1989 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Ram RT and when I'm driving at a high speed my truck tends to move a lot, does anyone else have this problem?

#3 ·
No unusual movements here. Had it up against the 106 speed limiter a couple of times and was steady as any vehicle I've ever driven at that speed or higher.

#7 ·
Do you have anything else besides the BT 2/4 kit? It's not uncommon for that kit to have rear end wagging issues and there are many ways to fix it: proper realigning of the panhard bar, adjustable control arms/panhard bar, bushing upgrade, shock upgrades, swaybar, and that's just for the rear end, the list goes on.

Now, I've built my suspension to handle high speed, and my truck is quite capable of doing 275km/h which is 170mph, so it's possible to do it properly.

#10 ·
Mine does it and it is horrible, it feels like it is rocking back and forth - side to side, it can get to the point of almost losing control if I don't slow down. One of my shocks is bad in the rear, (no rebound), so I am sure that is not helping. I am working on custom shocks now to see if that fixes / helps. I am going to address one thing at a time until I can eliminate it completely. I will post if / when I figure it out.

David

#11 ·
My 2015 R/T feels like it takes a while to settle after hitting waves or dips in the hwy at speed. also 2/4 belltech drop.

kind of a shimmy after the suspension compresses. But to be honest it did this stock as well, Just wasn't as easy to notice because the stock rear was so soft and had a longer travel.

I'm not to happy with some of the angles in the rear. The control arms were already less than parallel to the ground stock, and now they are angled quiet a bit. There are nice options available for adjustable arms/ bars etc. But none of them that i have seen correct any geometry they just offer length adjustment.

#12 ·
The adjustable control arms and panhard bar correct the pinion angle and line of thrust issues that crop up with the bolt-in drop kits but we've found that the control arm angles aren't ideal but it's not really an issue until you get to 4/6, they're not a major contributing factor to the loose rear end. The only way to correct the geometry issues is to custom build new axle brackets. I've done the rebuild on mine since it's 4.5/6.5 and it's built for top speed and handling and I wanted to be sure I had some anti-squat built into the system for when I take it to the drag strip.

If your feeling like the suspension is wavey after bumps then it's not a geometry issue, it's a dampening issue. You need to upgrade your shocks to ones with a better or adjustable compression. The Belltech Street Performer shocks are too soft for these trucks and do not perform well. QA1 has some direct bolt-in ones available now, I believe they're the 905 stocker stars and you can get them in the single or double adjustables, just be aware they're a little pricey but they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to handling. I'm not sure what the number is for the front since I never looked into them since mine's a 4wd, not a 2wd and I have adjustable struts instead.

#14 ·
can you tell me what suspensions mods you have done. I got the high speed wobble after I lowered mine. I have the McG 2/4 drop, belltech shocks, spohn adjustable control arms, hellwig front and rear sway bar, and I still get a liitle wobble under hard acceleration 70 up.

#16 ·
If you're 4/6 then you will have a lot more problems than just the alignment. You need to level out the panhard bar and do the axle mount relocation if you want to truly fix the problem, everything else is just a bandaid fix that can temporarily cover up symptoms while parts are new. The BT shocks are alright on the R/T as it's lighter but they are still far from an ideal shock with a weak damping rate. Your lateral travel on bumps is your main cause of the wag and that can only be fixed by realigning everything.

Have you noticed any wear on your rear lower control arms from where they have been hitting the upper arm's frame mount or are you still hitting the bumpstop cup?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.