DODGE RAM FORUM banner

which transmission for the R/T?

2013 R/T question

15K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  14RTRAM 
#1 ·
I am thinking about picking up a 2013 R/T and I have one question for the masses.

I was looking at the 2013 order guide that is in this post:
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=123635

As far as I can tell, at first they will come with the 5.7 and a 6 speed and 4:10 gears, but will eventully (late availability) come with the 8 speed and 3:92 gears.

The question is, should I get one with the 6 speed or wait for the 8 speed?

#4 ·
#3 ·
Personally I would wait until the 8 speed rolls out. If you want to get an idea of how the 8 speed handles being tested, go test drive a charger or 300 with the 3.6 pentastar that has the 8 speed transmission.

The ratios that will be in this transmission will make the truck faster off the line while getting better MPG's.

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/dodge/2013-ram-powertrain.html

#5 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe the new 8 speeds two first gears are for towing purposes which mean better launching and getting up to 60 quicker. That's how they can get a new charger with the v6 to 60 in 6 secs. And you have to think that car is only 300 pounds lighter than a reg cab express. So I'm sure the 2013 rt will be a whole lot faster than a 2012

#6 ·
I'd go with the 6 speed (really 5) if you're going for performance. Assuming the case size is the same dimensions, there will likely be less room to to add more clutches with the 8 speed. That is just a total guess, as I don't know what the specs are on the 8 speed.

#8 · (Edited)
2009 & 2010 i believe had the 545RFE transmission, it was a 5 speed
2011 & 2012 had the 65RFE transmission, it was a 6 speed
both had the same outer housing

the R/T had a different torque converter, than the rest of the models & i believe it had a 4:10 ratio rear differential

Click on the image of the Rams at the top of the page
scroll down to the NEWS, i think it is the 2nd line down
i posted what i could find out about the 2013 models

2013 ORDER GUIDE, posted by Horseman
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?p=909208

#13 ·
I'd go with the 6 speed (really 5) if you're going for performance. Assuming the case size is the same dimensions, there will likely be less room to to add more clutches with the 8 speed. That is just a total guess, as I don't know what the specs are on the 8 speed.
That's what I've said all along.

anyway man, call it what you want. 5 speed, 6 speed, whatever. It's the one you'll probably want.

#15 ·
This will blow all your minds....the 545RFE and 65RFE are actually both 45RFE's which was the 4 speed trans. All chrysler does is change the pcm program and BOOM new gears magically appear. The 545RFE name actually means a 4 speed, 5 torque rating, rear mounted, fully electronic trans with 5 forward gears pretty confusing. The 65RFE is just another computer program. If you take apart a 45RFE and a 65RFE the only difference is the valve body and trans pan.

Also since I've already gotten to take apart an 8 speed trans I can say they are pretty stout. There is only one part about them I don't like, there is an aluminum drum on the out side of the gear train that transfers all the torque coming into the trans to a rear gear set. It brought back memories of the old chevy 700r4 sun shell. But since the company (ZF) that makes the 8 speed has been using it for more than ten years in European cars they've already been tested. The 8 speed will change the game for chrysler, Its an awesome trans, and it doesn't eat up 60-70 hp like the 65RFE does.

#18 ·
I didn't think they was putting a 8speed in the R/T. and even if they did it would have that crazy nob-shifter.

#23 ·
The ZF 8 speed isn't a CVT and it will be a great transmission....

If it is good enough for Bentley, BMW, Jaguar and Maserati...all use ZF 8 speeds.....with more HP and close to the weight of a Ram.....I think an R/T truck with one would be great!

I would kill for a 8 speed with 3.21 gears.....

Acceleration of the 545 with 4.56 gears and the fuel economy of a truck with 3.21s

#26 ·
Yeah I'm not digging the odd shaped fogs but at some angles they look better.

I would guess tinting the lenses might help but at least these dont have that ugly azz rambox like the silver one....really kills the sport look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.