DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Mistake?

4K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  SmoothVanilla 
#1 ·
Just installed Westin platinum oval 4" ss nerf bars. The Mrs needed a little help for getting in and out. I ordered a set of Raptor ss running boards first, but they came with 3 of the 4 plastic end caps damaged. Sent them back no problem with AutoAnything. I decided not to chance another go round with shipping damage to the Raptor running boards ( the end caps seemed pretty fragile to me and had no support bracket to the frame ) and went with the Westin nerfs. Not so sure now they are on the truck. What do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
those look great. Do you find they have enough space to step on to when exiting? I am looking at these in black but I have tried been testing with a friend of mine and they work fine climbing in but when exiting there is really nothing to safely step on to. But he has the 3". I currently have the mopar oval ones and they work perfectly but I prefer the look of the ones you just installed. thanks

#5 ·
Exiting

those look great. Do you find they have enough space to step on to when exiting? I am looking at these in black but I have tried been testing with a friend of mine and they work fine climbing in but when exiting there is really nothing to safely step on to. But he has the 3". I currently have the mopar oval ones and they work perfectly but I prefer the look of the ones you just installed. thanks
Yes they do. The black step pad measures 4" wide and 24" long. Looking straight down the door skin you can see the inside edge of the step pad. I guess I'm showing my age here, but my first reaction after installing them was "whoa those look fat" and maybe I should have went with the 3". But they are in fact very functional getting in and out of the truck. The appearance is growing on me plus the fact my wife said "you are not taking them off and spending more money for something else"! LOL!!!:LOL:

#6 ·
Love the color and the RT. Personally I think that style is outdated. But fully understand why you went with them over the others. Plus they serve your purpose and budget.
Similar situation with me, had to get some for my Quad Cab on behalf of my GF needs. And budget. Bought the ones from truck gear direct. Not high end, but they are made well enuff. I'd paid more for them if that's an indicator of how I liked them.

#7 ·
I agree the style is older than dirt, but other styles I liked were not available for the regular cab. That sucked! Plus I was under a time crunch to make a decision. As soon as FedEx scanned the raptor running board return AuyoAnything was going to send a replacement set of the Raptor stainless running boards. I at least think these Westins are a better choice for the R/T than the running boards when it comes to looks.

#8 ·
You can tell if the steps are right for you, if the door edge of your seat doesn't show signs of wear
Before i installed my nerf bars, i had to slide off of the seat to reach the ground & i broke the plastic piece that has the seat switches mounted in it :(

I had my nerf bars modified before i put them on, i needed a way to reach into the bed of the Ram, they had not yet made the 3 step bars for the '09 Rams

#13 ·
Thanks for the pictures man. I might just have to look into trying these. As I said earlier I currently have the 5" mopar ones and functionally they couldn't be better for me but I just think the rounded nerf style does not look AS imposing lol.

#17 ·
So far so good. The look is growing on me. I still like the look the best without any steps. I think I screwed myself on this whole ordeal anyway. My wife is only 5 foot and I must admit I enjoyed "helping" her get in the truck maybe a little to much!!!

#20 ·
Glad To Help

The measurement from the rocker pinch weld to the edge of the inside edge of the black step pad is close to 3 and 1/4 inches. From the top of the rocker just below the door down to the inside edge of the step pad is pretty much a straight shot down. The step pad is 4 inches wide. Don't forget this is a regular cab. Here's a couple pics to help you visualize. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

#21 ·
Another Shot

Here is another shot with the camera edge touching the driver door pointing straight down. I did notice the front of the bar is about 1/4 inch farther out from the body compared the rear of the bar. Notice how there is a small opening between the pad and the body at the front of the step pad in this shot. That I have no explanation for except it is how the steps were formed and cut. Both front and rear brackets mount in the rocker panel holes and the brackets seemed to be the same thickness. It looks that way on both sides. Maybe the support on the front brackets that is bolted to the front cab mount bolts? I don't know.

Attachments

#22 ·
This is for sure helpful thanks. I am going to measure mine from the pinch welds and compare. If I think there is enough room to step on to while exiting the truck I will most likely order a set of these in black for my QC. Thanks again man.

#23 ·
If anyone is interested I have my wheel to wheel steps that came on my R/T. I used them for about 100 miles and took them off. They are like brand new and we're a $600.00 option. I will let them go for $350.00 plus shipping.

#24 ·
I think you should have just lowered it. Gives the Sporty RT a Sporty stance. I too had a problem getting it. Dropped it 2-4 and love the stance. Everybody and their uncles have step bars because the darn manufacturers think everything needs to be sitting in the friggin clouds.:doh:

#27 ·
Hey Cammin Hemi I had another question for you. When You installed them is there any height adjustments on them? So they can sit a bit higher or lower? My friend mentioned the mounting holes for his were elongated for this reason. Thanks again.

#28 ·
Nerfs

Not much for adjustment is there. There is a little wiggle room front and back. I don't remember if the holes were elongated, but I don't think so. The support arm from the bracket to the frame pretty much limits any significant adjustments up/down/foreword/rearward.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.