DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rear View Mirror

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  inkdemon 
#1 ·
Was wondering how to get the rear view mirror off. Was wanting to tint the front window (eyebrow) but was needing to get that off to get it looking a little better.

#2 ·
When I got mine tinted the guy just slid it off but kept the piece that sticks to the window on. If you cut around that piece perfectly like my guy did it looks good! I forgot how he took the rear view mirror off but it came off pretty easily.

If you take that piece off the windsheild you may have trouble getting it back on. It is 3m double sided tape holding it on there. Trust me it does not look bad if you cut around it precisely.

#3 ·
You probably don't want to do this! Like Scat says, slip the mirror off the mount and cut the film around the mount. If you take it off, tint the window, then reapply it to the tint.....it WILL come off and damage the tint and you will be oh so upset when you have to re-tint the window, only to repeat the process....about every 4 months. :158:

#4 ·
You should be able to remove the mirror . I would not attempt to remove the metal plate . You would probably damage the windshield . If at all possible cut the tint out around the metal plate . That metal tab will fall off with the mirror in about 5 yrears when you least expect it . Then you can get the mirror installation kit and reinstall it .

#5 ·
On the window mounted mirrors there is usually an allen type set screw holding the mirror to the mount which as others have said is glued to the windshield. Loosen (do not remove) the screw and the mirror just slides off.

The screw should be at or toward the bottom and the mirror should slide up.

#6 ·
Yeah sorry didnt specify...LOL.. i was not looking to take metal tab off. Just the mirror portion. I did it to an old s10 of mine (leaving tab metal tab and cutting around tab) and it looked great...I will check on the Allan Key deal (thx Brain). Will post pics when I am done with

#7 ·
Yeah sorry didnt specify...LOL.. i was not looking to take metal tab off. Just the mirror portion. I did it to an old s10 of mine (leaving tab metal tab and cutting around tab) and it looked great...I will check on the Allan Key deal (thx Brain). Will post pics when I am done with
let us know how it comes off i needa tighten mine! my sub makes mine fall off :LOL:

#8 ·
ORRRRR...you accidentally hit a series of ruts in the middle of nowhere while mudding and knock off your mirror and send your toolbox into disarray. It took me hours to get that thing back to the way it was. But he is right, an allen wrench will loosen it up enough for you to slide it up and off. That is how I tightened mine anyway..

#9 ·
when you put it back on make sure it is down far enough. I removed mine and didn't install it right and it kept moving, I thought the back of the mirror was loose untill I moved it one day and saw the plastic near the window move so i loosened the screw and slid it down more and tightened teh screw and it is a torx screw not an allen head, a t25 i believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.