DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Heater quit working right when it gets cold!

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
1997 Dodge Ram Pickup. Heater went out in it the other day. All it does is blow cold air and on top of that, the thermometor barely shows it warming up if it does at all. I'm not even sure if its working properly. I topped it off with antifreeze today and after driving around for a little bit, it still never warmed up. Two people tell me it could be the thermostat and others say its the heater control valve or heater core. And do I have to take off the entire dash just to get to the valve and core??? Please help. The A/C and Heater is the only thing i know nothing about.

#3 ·
All it does is blow cold air and on top of that, the thermometor barely shows it warming up if it does at all. And do I have to take off the entire dash just to get to the valve and core??? Please help. The A/C and Heater is the only thing i know nothing about.
The temp guage not showing operating temp leads me to believe its the thermostat. Do a complete flush and fill when you change the t-stat.

Yes, to change the core you have to take apart the dash.

#4 · (Edited)
run your truck for a while, like going to or from work, feel the top radiator hose, if its hot, then its not likely the thermostat, then feel the hoses going to & from the heater, it may be the Heater Valve Control Valve is not opening & allowing the water to enter the heater, its usually located in the hose that goes from the water pump to the heater core, if it doesn't open & close properly, that is your problem.
it looks something like this
http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEheaterValve.asp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.