DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ugly gap above rear window in 4th gen

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  916Timmy 
#1 ·
I'm assuming it's in all the 4th gens and not just the 2011's... But have you guys noticed the gap right above the rear window where the headliner ends? It's driving me absolutely insane! Yes I am very picky, I know... but I'm ocd about all the little things. In a few spots you can literally see where the headliner fabric was cut, and glued to the roof. Theres a piece of trim along the back of the headliner, im assuming to help keep it up, and it's not all the way against the back of the cab theres a gap there and you can see where the material is cut. You think they'd put that trim piece over the cut edge (kind of like how the carpet goes up under the trim and the step plates) It's not too bad where the gap is because you'd have to have your head against the back window and look up in order to see it, but the trim piece is cut a little short on both sides and plain as day you can see where the fabric was cut and glued.

I'm going to try to find a piece of rubber weatherstrip or a black rubber tube or something to put in that gap and cover it all up. Has anyone else even noticed this? Curious to know if I need to go see a shrink or not :LOL:

#2 ·
being as it is a new Ram, run it by the dealership service dept. & ask about it

way too many of these Rams have had water leaks around the 3rd brake light & or the sliding window, sometimes enough to make the area below the back seat puddle with water
i would wait until after a rain storm or 2 to make any cosmetic repairs, but, i would still mention it to the dealership, get it in writing that a concern or complaint was made

if it does not rain much there, rig a garden hose above the rear portion of the cab & let it run down over the brake light & window, it won't take a flood of water, just an even flow

#5 ·
I'll have to check mine closer for that gap you refer too. I can confirm the headliner cut issue in my 2010 Ram. I had gotten my ceramic 3m Tints from a reputable place been in business over 20 years and this was shortly after I got my Ram. I got a good deal on the 3m Tints and after the job was done I was looking closely and saw the cut in certain areas from the headliner towards the back glass. I was like WTF!!?? I thought somehow this was done while cutting the tint, but I actually had a 2010 Challenger rental at the time with a couple of days left on it through my insurance company and when I went into the Challenger, it has the same thing on the rear glass from the roof liner. It definitely doesn't look classy but you really only see it if you look really closely. I used to be OCD like you but have really worked on it over the years and things like that don't get to me anymore..so I really haven't thought about it sense...but I agree that doesn't look "clean" by any means.

#7 ·
Hahahahahaha!!!! Now ya know, will it get the best of you?? <G>:gy:
lol..years ago it absolutely would have. I did check pretty extensively and I too don't have any gaps like slikkwilly specified. Just the issue that seems to be in most/all Dodge vehicles with the headliner where it was cut and having the threads show some. But I didn't even notice that issue until after I got my windows tinted and was looking at everything very closely. Even now unless i'm right up on that area cleaning the window or something, I don't even notice it. But as far as the gap goes...willy...take a pic or two with your phone or camera so we can see what you're referring too.

#8 ·
LOL take some photos after you make an appt with your shrink LOL
J/K I am the same way though, I will have to look now, I almost wish you hadn't mentioned it LOL Now I am going to go look and if I notice it...oh dear!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.