DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Converting my 2011 Ram Express to an R/T

56K views 255 replies 44 participants last post by  RIPPMODS 
#1 ·
I am in the process of converting my 2011 Ram Express to an R/T. So far I have the painted side mirrors and door handles. Also I just ordered spyder halo headlights. Next I need the 22" wheels and sport hood. If anyone has seen someone selling either of these please let me know. This week I will have my 2" rear lowering kit by ground force installed and I recently out the nav system in it. i will have pics soon. Has anyone else done this yet?

#2 ·
well just so you know, no matter what you do it will never really be an RT....if you want to make it similar or clone that'd be cool though. The whole interior in the RT is leather/top of the line/every option as far as I know, hood, wheels, torque converter, 4.10's with LSD, badging, springs(disregarded as you are lowering yours) are the main things...

#4 ·
well it sounds like from his mods he's not really trying to exactly clone an RT, he just wants an express with some other mods and maybe RT badging??? (I don't think you should clone it with badging, even if it were an exact replica....it's still not an RT...)

#8 ·
Agree with you, if he wants to make his Express looks like a R/T, why not!!

#7 ·
I just looked it up, it's only for reg cabs which sucks since it was only 200+ for it through Summit. The kit for our trucks (crew/quad) is part # 9984 and it's priced at 700+ (which isn't bad but still)...

#10 · (Edited)
My plans for my truck are to look similar to the R/T with the hood, wheels, painted mirrors and handles but to also do some different mods. I got new headlights and I put a sway bar kit on it, I just have to get the lowering kit put on. Other then that I am going to put an upgraded torque converter and the 4.10 gearing. I hope it will eventually be faster then the R/T. It is my daily driver so I am just making it handle better and look better for now. I would have gotten the R/t at first but locally there wasn't any available. They ended up giving me a great deal on the express so I got it because I needed a new car since my ford f150 died. Overall this truck is so much better.

#12 ·
OMG please dont get srt rims everyone gets them there are so many more better looking rims out there if your going to spend the money then get something different its not an srt so why get those rims here are some other options

Not trying to be a prick but if your going to shell out the money then do do what everyone else is doing (to me the srt rims are played out ob rt's ) be original

#27 ·
I agree. No matter how close you get it it's never going to be an rt. The title an vin will say differently. At least don't put rt badges on it. Just like a lambo kit car will never be a lambo, it will always be A fiero w different cosmetics.

#16 ·
Not really a fan of mislabeling vehicles, its cool to do all the mods but I don't really like when people go the extra mile and put the badges on.
That's what I was trying to say in my previous posts....I just don't think he should put RT badges on it. Maybe come up with your own unique badges, that even maybe resemble the RT style, and have them made.....like the SLT8 badge a member put on their truck (I think it was kay9)...I thought that was really cool and original...

#17 ·
I'd like to see what the express looks like with the 2" drop! I'm thinking about going this route on mine after a set of 22's.

OMG please dont get srt rims everyone gets them there are so many more better looking rims out there if your going to spend the money then get something different its not an srt so why get those rims here are some other options

Not trying to be a prick but if your going to shell out the money then do do what everyone else is doing (to me the srt rims are played out ob rt's ) be original
I agree, kinda... I'm a bit of a n00b aroudnd here but it seems like the SRT's are the wheel of choice so you end up seeing them a lot. I will likely get a set unless I can find another 22x10" wheel that is less that $300. I think the SRT wheel has the correct proportion and looks great on the truck. I'm always opened to suggestions but I haven't found anything yet that fits what I'm looking for.

#19 ·
I'd like to see what the express looks like with the 2" drop! I'm thinking about going this route on mine after a set of 22's.

I agree, kinda... I'm a bit of a n00b aroudnd here but it seems like the SRT's are the wheel of choice so you end up seeing them a lot. I will likely get a set unless I can find another 22x10" wheel that is less that $300. I think the SRT wheel has the correct proportion and looks great on the truck. I'm always opened to suggestions but I haven't found anything yet that fits what I'm looking for.
it will look just like the pic i posted with my drop

#18 · (Edited)
That's cool, :smileup:

I'm turning my RCSB 4x4 Sport into an R/T too (no stinking badges though)

Looks almost identical inside and out, only the underside reveals a front diff and drive shaft if you can get low enough to see under my Ground Force 2/3 drop :D
I went one step further on performance and have a 3000 stall torque converter, eventually to have 4.56 gears too, already have several 13 second time slips ;)
I use my 4WD in the Winter and for an awesome awd launch at the track on 4 drag radials

I want some R/T 22" Alcoa's Bad!!!

but for now I painted my stock 20's Black with PlastiDip, makes my 305/50R20 Grapplers look extra "Beefy"

#22 · (Edited)
Hey, just wanted to throw in there that if you are really wanting gears, I'd skip to 4.56s, especially if you already have 3.92s. I'm a little disappointed with the factory 4.10s as they put you at a terrible point in the powerband at the end of the quarter mile. I'm still stock so maybe with mods it will feel better but I've already been contemplating a gear change.

#23 ·
x2, 4.56's are the way to go, I've got 3.55's in my 4x4,
but run smaller DR's at the track for 4.30:1 effective ratio

I want 4.56's and a Detroit True Track, but it's more money for a 4x4
cuz I have to do both diffs....$3k+ up here for parts plus install :(

I've looked at many 22" aftermarket wheel options and most,
including SRT replica's, are over 41-42 pounds each :158:, no thanks!

Alcoa R/T 22's actually weigh around 34-35lbs ... less than my Chrome Clad 20's
I dont like the GY 285/45R22's pizza cutters though, got to be 305 wide Nitto NT420S for me. :D
Once you've had 305's its hard to go narrower.

dodgert, for the right price I'd buy your wheels, ;)
but dont want/need the tires, shipping prices go from $125 wheels only to over $300 with tires.

#26 ·
x2, 4.56's are the way to go, I've got 3.55's in my 4x4,
but run smaller DR's at the track for 4.30:1 effective ratio

I want 4.56's and a Detroit True Track, but it's more money for a 4x4
cuz I have to do both diffs....$3k+ up here for parts plus install :(

I've looked at many 22" aftermarket wheel options and most,
including SRT replica's, are over 41-42 pounds each :158:, no thanks!

Alcoa R/T 22's actually weigh around 34-35lbs ... less than my Chrome Clad 20's
I dont like the GY 285/45R22's pizza cutters though, got to be 305 wide Nitto NT420S for me. :D
Once you've had 305's its hard to go narrower.

dodgert, for the right price I'd buy your wheels, ;)
but dont want/need the tires, shipping prices go from $125 wheels only to over $300 with tires.
Thanks for the weight on the R/T rims. And the 420s are awesome, they're what I have on my truck now but I still have the original 285 width. Can barely spin them on a dry street where as the goodyears would spin like nothing

#24 ·
I didn't get the R/T at first because they didn't have any in my area and also I got such a good deal on the express I knew I could build it up cheaper then the R/T. The R/T cost about $32,000 right? Well with the deals at the time plus my trade I ended up getting my Express with power options and the 3.92 rear end for $8,500 out the door. Once I get the 22" wheels, a better torque converter and rear gears I will be well under the price of an R/T and faster then a stock R/T.

So far the mods that I have done are

Paint matched mirrors $200 each
Paint matched door handles $35 each
Sport hood and paint $875
Spyder Headlights and hid kits $520
Sway bar kit $300
Lowering kit $270
Shorty Antenna $15
Access Vanish bed cover $350
Weather Tech mats $100
Nav unit $500
Paint protection for hood, grille, bumper, and fenders $600

Total that's about $4,000

Future mods
22" R/T wheels
K&N Intake $350
Magnaflow Exhaust and Y pipe $750
Gears - not sure yet
torque converter - not sure

#28 ·
8500 WTF lol and wait till nov ill be able to get the k&n's for 180-200 brand new
That's believable...you can get a new express for low 20's, I've even heard one person say they got theirs under twenty....factor in his trade if it was worth 10-15k then there's 8,500.....lucky him lol.

#29 ·
All of my parts should be installed by the end of the week and it will almost look like a R/T except for the 22's! I still havent found any yet, Im hoping once I find some I am going to get them powdercoated black along with tinting my taillights black. Im not trying to pass it off as a real R/T, I know there are some differences but really when Im done the only difference you will notice is there is not a center console.

#30 ·
This past weekend I was at a car show in JAX and a guy had a 2011 Ram R/T and he put the 6.1 hemi crate engine in it with a turbo setup and he was making 800hp. It was really nice, if I see it again I will get some pictures and post them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.