22K views 106 replies 72 participants last post by  Titan077 
#1 ·
Nitto Grappler A/T
Nitto Grappler M/T
Toyo M/T
Hankook Dynapro M/T
BFG M/T
Goodyear MT/R

Many question what tires to get. Hope the users of these dominating tire brands can give a little help to us all that look to get bigger tires and don't regret spending all that $$$$ on the wrong ones. Please add a pro/cons to your tires you went with.

#66 ·
mrjosh...What a coincidence. This was an older thread but I was reading through it because I'm also tire shopping. I actually also decided on the BFG T/A KO's after weeks of research and stopping in a tire shop today. I do mostly pavement driving with some beach & light dirt trails mixed-in for recreation and of course a few months of snow. Good to hear your pleased with them so far.

#67 ·
hey IBEW3 did you get the ko2's or the original ko's i spent a month on reading every review on tires and what to go for it was between these and the toyo open country at2's extreme im soo glad i went with bfg though have you tried them in deep mud yet? I am really surprised at how smooth the drive is on hwy and how quiet they are

#68 · (Edited)
I priced and decided on the original KO's. I didn't get them yet - I ordered new rims and am waiting for them to arrive... I probably won't see much mud with them - mostly sand, dirt and snow. Given that, let me know if I should consider the 2's. Let me ask...I understand these are not true hardcore off-road tires just AT's, but aside from me seeing them unmounted do they add some degree of aggressive tire look?

#70 · (Edited)
That's what they claim, truth is they are identical tires with the only difference being a more aggressive sidewall..
not too take anything away from them, they are both still an amazing tire, just have to ask yourself if your willing to pay the extra dough for the more aggressive look.

#72 ·
yeah no problem well with these they carry the snow flake symbol on them so they are meant for severe winter conditions and when ya think about it a more aggressive side wall means more traction in deeper mud and snow the side wall has a deeper lug so it would dig into what ever for more traction.

#73 ·
I recently replaced my Toyo M/T's with Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's so far I'm happier with the Nittos wet traction seems better, both eat up mud and road noise is comparable. Price wise Nittos hands down, was able to order them thru Walmart for 388.00 each shipping included as opposed to the 450.00 plus shipping I was looking at for the Toyos.

#74 ·
Random question, for everyone that has leveled and added 295s or even a true 35, does our tire monitor on the screen still read the tire pressure correctly with a larger tire?

#75 ·
Yes they do

#76 ·
None of the above, I run TSL Super Swamper Radials in the summer, and Mickey Thompson MTZ's in the winter , both in 37 12.50 17

#77 ·
I LOVE my Nitto Trail Grapplers thus far!!! (20k miles, I think? I really haven't kept track) 37x12.50R17 The only issues I have had are some small chunking BUT, that's to be expected on a 7,500lb truck (that usually has about 1000lbs or more of people and cargo added to that curb weight) rock crawling with street pressure in the tires! (I am lazy about airing down, I'll admit it)

I HATED my previous tires! (37x12.50R17 Goodyear MTRKs) I liked their looks and their performance offroad BUT, they never would balance after a few thousand miles (shook the whole truck when the worst ones were on the front!!!) and one of them chunked all the way to the belts (like a ripped open flap!), Goodyear ended up refunding me completely and then I went to the Trail Grapplers instead.

#81 ·
Of THAT group? BFG.

Nitto, ryhmes with... crapp-o... which describes their tread life. I barely got 20,000 miles out of a NEW set on my Jeep Commander for street use. Last set of Shi... I MEAN, Nittos, EVER! :smiledown:

#83 ·
Right now I run the BFG T/A KO2's. They are the best tire I have ever had on a truck so far. I do actually go off roading with my truck but nothing too insane so they work great. They did not eat up my gas milage that bad and they run great on/off road. Love them!

#84 ·
My 2015 2500 Heavy Duty came with Firestone Transforse AT's The vehicle rode like a rock hauler. Beat the crap out of the truck and my back. Decreased the pressure to front = 38 and rear = 42. A great improvement but I switched to Michelin tires with real aluminum wheels and got a 100% improvement in ride quality even at the factory recommended pressure. I'll use the stock garbage firestones for running in the woods. When I was a trucker, the company I worked for would always toss the stock tires and use them on the yard mules. New Michelin's went on the highway trucks.
Buying tires because they have aggressive looks or fancy lettering is like dressing up a pig for a wedding.

-John

#85 ·
Buying tires because they have aggressive looks or fancy lettering is like dressing up a pig for a wedding.

-John

I don't think many people would spend $800 to $1000 on tires simply for looks. I do a few loose/deep sanded beach runs each summer, go to a private shooting range that requires driving down a sand mining trail, I live in an area with substantial snowfall and also make a few runs to Vermont pulling snowmobiles a few times a year. The NY-Metro area is not known for "mudding" or other similar 4x4 ventures.

While it doesn't make sense to dress up a pig for a wedding, it does make sense to dress up a well-built, nice looking girl for a wedding, right?

People buy nice wheels/rims and other mods all the time. Why? To "dress up" their truck - visual effects only. These are $35,000+ vehicles. They're designed for work & play beyond what the average car is designed for, but I don't know many people on this forum that consider their trucks "pigs". Take a look around at the countless great-looking trucks on here.

When my truck is working it get's covered in dirt, sand, road grime and road salt. When it's not working - it's clean, waxed and looks good - by no means is it a pig.

#86 ·
I got my BFG A/T KO2's because I for one needed exactly what they were offering. A tire I can daily drive on the weekdays and play with off road for the weekend. I needed a good all around tire. I went with 33.25" but those only came in 18" form. My truck came with the 20" rims and I wanted more tire/less rim. (Plus the 20" BFG KO2's were ridiculously more expensive then the 18") So i bought 18" rims. I bought my specific rims which were the "nicer" ones but I said ah what the hell is an extra 20 bucks a rim. I figured I would have to look at them for a while so why not get the ones I like. :smileup:

Attachments

#87 · (Edited)
I used to work at a tire store... many youngsters would come in, look at tires and buy them on looks alone or because they were cheap. They were probably rated the worse tires for whatever Joe & Sally Average wanted them for but, they still insisted on buying them. To make matters worse, some manufacturers put really crap tires on vehicles that by the cost alone should have the best. A good example is the Jeep Rubicon. Those vehicles have come with some of the worse rated tires in history! "Run the best equipment money can buy and don't fall for BS and gimmicks." -Smokey Yunick

-John

#94 ·
^^^This.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.