DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Tailgate

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gfviperman 
#1 ·
Dented top of my tailgate - 100% my fault.

How much should I pay for one from a salvage yard?

#2 ·
Do a search on car-part.com for your area. With the camera, I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $700. w/o the camera, around $400. Where there's a dent, there's a story. Care to share the story?

Reactions: Asur
#4 ·
Here's the story:

Wife bought a new couch. We asked how much to deliver - was told $65.

We said good but we are going on vacation for a few days will call when we get back.

Called on return to set up delivery. Was told there was a mistake and it would be $175. I said #@$&* and that I will pick up the couch in my trusty RAM. Only 10 miles.

Got to the shop, and helped young lady get couch to the door. She said maybe best to back the truck up in front of door to load easier. Another shopper was there and he offered to help me load.

Tailcoat gate was down, I was too lazy to put it up before backing into the space. So I
backed it up with the camera showing the the pavement and sensors going off in full song.

I noticed a small steel pole, so I stopped short of the door and re-positioned the truck. Asked the young lady if I has hit the pole, she and the guy helping me said no.

We loaded the couch and off to home I went.

Neighbor helped me place couch in home.

Feeling pretty good about myself and my RAM, went to raise liftgate to put the wraps and flaps on this job.

That's when I noticed the dent - I did hit that pole.

Bottom line: the $175 delivery charge was a helluva deal!!!

Have some photos, but don't know how to load them.

#5 ·
i bought a new tailgate through a auto body shop
it was still in the box that was marked MOPAR
it needed to be painted & that cost as much as the tailgate

i paid a little less then what the dealership wanted
i transferred all of the original hardware, including the camera

#6 ·
get a photobucket account and then link photos in your post

you might be able to get it fixed by a Paintless Dent Remover. Check with your local dealer they use them all the time, But a pic of the tailgate would give a good idea how bad and if it could be done.

#12 ·
the part that you need, runs about $419 new

OEM Tailgate - 2009-2012 Dodge Ram 1500 & 2010-2012 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 $ 419.95

the plastic piece on top of the tailgate runs about $40

OEM Tailgate Spoiler - 2009-2011 Dodge Ram 1500 & 2010-2011 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 $ 49.95

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.