DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Can't get UConnect to work on 2011 RAM

5K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  xsdbs 
#1 ·
Have 2011 RAM Laramie with RHB unit.

UConnect issue.

Have been on phone with RAM, UConnect, Sprint, Samsung...
No Dice!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Truck built 09 07

There may be a TSB - dealer no help whatsoever!!!!

#2 ·
What exactly is the problem? Mine wouldn't pair for the life of me. I'd keep saying Pair and it would just beep. Finally it gave me the voice prompts and it worked.

#3 ·
1) what phone do you have?
2) There is a TSB available but first I'd like to know more about the issue.
3) Can you pair the phone at all?
Lets start here and try to go forward, ok.

Have 2011 RAM Laramie with RHB unit.

UConnect issue.

Have been on phone with RAM, UConnect, Sprint, Samsung...
No Dice!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Truck built 09 07

There may be a TSB - dealer no help whatsoever!!!!

#4 ·
Did it work and then just quit? Mine did that one day and i could not get it to pair with either of my iPhones. When I got home, I disconnected the negative battery cable and grounded it to something metal before reconnecting it to the battery. Its been working properly since. If you try this, be prepared to reprogram the auto up function of your windows....Which is very easy btw.

#5 ·
Pared phone - worked for one (1) day. Then, when in truck, phone would cycle on-off-on-off etc.. Finally, deleted phone. Would not re-pair until I went to Sprint store and had phone re-set. Re-paired again, worked one day then on-off-on-off etc. That was a Samsung Seek. Do not want/need smart phone. That may be my problem.

Then got a Samsung Trender - listed by Mopar/Uconnect as OK. It paired first time, but didn't work exactly right. Deleted and tried to re-pair - no dice!!

Have same issue on wife's Jeep GC with RER Nav.

#6 ·
can you answer my questionsin post #3? I know that you're having issues keeping the phone paired but the other 2 answers will be helpful. Thanks

Pared phone - worked for one (1) day. Then, when in truck, phone would cycle on-off-on-off etc.. Finally, deleted phone. Would not re-pair until I went to Sprint store and had phone re-set. Re-paired again, worked one day then on-off-on-off etc. That was a Samsung Seek. Do not want/need smart phone. That may be my problem.

Then got a Samsung Trender - listed by Mopar/Uconnect as OK. It paired first time, but didn't work exactly right. Deleted and tried to re-pair - no dice!!

Have same issue on wife's Jeep GC with RER Nav.

#10 ·
I'm going to say that you need the Uconnect SW update applied to your vehicle. If the vehicle was built prior to 6-1-2011 then the TSB # is 08-019-12, If it was built afer 6--1-2011 then the TSB# is 08-018-12.
If in fact you don't want to go to the dealler for this update, then I can supply it and the instruction to perform it. It's quite easy to do.

Will check with dealer on update - but they have basically been clueless.

Phone has latest SW.

That was the problem with the Samsung Trender. Older SW was OK, newer SW no good.

Go Figure!! I surely can't...

#12 ·
Can I get you to do me a favor first?
I would like you to drop the glovebox down toward the floor, then look iside the dash structure to the far right. You'll see the Uconnect module, it's about 4"x6". Can you take a picture of it for me. I just want to make sure which PN is on it. There are different files depending on the PN. Thanks

Hey xsdbs - My build date is 6/11. Could you provide me with a link to the update and instructions? I am hoping with this fix the choppy bluetooth audio streaming.

Thanks!:smileup:

#14 ·
You will actually be able to apply the 2012 update to that module. It's the same module that the 2012 vehicles Uconnect was built off of and added some enhancements. However I do need to point out a couple of notes that do appear on the TSB.
1) SIR supported features, Visual Voice Mail, Voice memos etc, will not be supported.
2) iPod resume play will not be supported.

Here's a link to a thread that I have on this forum with the update location and instructions. See post # 13

http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=108564&page=2&highlight=uconnect

Here is the pic...hope it's the right one. :4-dontknow:

Thx again for the help with this!

#16 ·
What that "resume play" means is that when you are listening to the ipod and you stop the vehicle, turn the key off, then come back to the truck later, the ipod won''t start playback where it left off. The system will go straight into the last radio media that was played before you started listening to the ipod. Then you will manually go back into ipod play where the song will tart at the beginning of the song.
Th ereason for this is because vehicles that have the factory remote starter system were having warranty issues for a pop heard thru the vehicle speakers after turning the ignition on when entering the vehicle during a remote start cycle.
Here's what was going on. You'd remote start the vehicle, The radio would be powered up but Uconnect wouldn't be. This is because if you were withing the bluetooth range there could be issues if you had an incoming or outgoing call. The call would be routed thru Uconnect and you wouldn't be able to hear the conversation from your phone. So Uconnect isn't powered up, with the radio setting in an AUX mode waiting for the ipod signal, there would be no audio input to the radio untill the Uconnect is powered up. Then Uconnect has to go thru the connection process to your phone before ipod play can start. So you're sitting there and about 30-60 seconds after turning the key on, there would be a pop thru the speakers. So that led to Chrysler doing away with the resume play.
Hope that explains it ok.

Thanks for the info! I will let you know how it goes after I do the update. Dumb question, but what do you mean Ipod resume play will not work? Meaning it will not resume playing after a call? I rarely use my Ipod so I guess it doesn't really matter. =)

#17 ·
Wow! Great explanation. I never even thought about the remote start and the UConnect issue. I just upgraded to a new phone so I haven't gotten around to applying the fix yet. That and the fact, I can't find my usb drive. :doh: Is it best to use a formatted usb drive or will it be okay to use one with other files on it? These days the drives come with software and I don't know if that would affect the update.
Thanks again for all your help with my newb questions!!

#18 ·
Hope I'm not too late to answer your question. I've had a bad week and major back spasms. Actually acting like a dog today. I'm crawling on all 4's just to get around and it's boring as hell just laying here. Called out to my wife to bring me my computer. Of coarse I got "that look". any way Yes normally a clean formatted flash drive is best, but if there's only factory files on it and it's already formatted to FAT32 it should be ok. It's usually when people have a lot of their own files, some extensions can cause problems. Hope that helps.

Wow! Great explanation. I never even thought about the remote start and the UConnect issue. I just upgraded to a new phone so I haven't gotten around to applying the fix yet. That and the fact, I can't find my usb drive. :doh: Is it best to use a formatted usb drive or will it be okay to use one with other files on it? These days the drives come with software and I don't know if that would affect the update.
Thanks again for all your help with my newb questions!!

#21 ·
No dice. I re-formatted (FAT32) my thumb drive and downloaded the linked file from a different port on my computer. The name of the file is uconnect.upd. The actual error message that I get verbatim is:

"The used update archive is not compatible with this unit."

I took a photo of the only easily accessible module under the left side of my dashboard for your review. Thanks!

Attachments

#22 ·
Ok, so please remind me. This was factory installed correct? The factory module should be righ around that general area of the picture. I have looked inside the end of the dash before and viewed it.
Can you rename the file extension to .upn instead of the .upd..
There were some modules that had a different chip in them for a short time.

No dice. I re-formatted (FAT32) my thumb drive and downloaded the linked file from a different port on my computer. The name of the file is uconnect.upd. The actual error message that I get verbatim is:

"The used update archive is not compatible with this unit."

I took a photo of the only easily accessible module under the left side of my dashboard for your review. Thanks!

#23 ·
Yep, factory unit, couldn't find the module but I didn't have time to start tearing apart the dash panels to find it. I attempted to re-name the update file to a .upn file but uconnect wouldn't recognize it, asked me to connect a mass storage device with the update files. Should I try the 2012 update files after all?

#24 ·
I'll see if I can't get by a dealer to get the picture to show the location. I have looked in the same place that I'm mentioning. I'm not sure why you're not seeing it.
As far as I know the 2011 modules with the updated SW were started to be used in JUne 2011. But that date may have been used as a cusion because the new date may not have been the same in all the plants.
You won't damage anything by trying the 2012 update, if it's not going to work then you'll get an error message.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.