DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Trailer Brake controller adding the factory option?

33K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  jsnow499 
#1 ·
I am wondering if the wiring is already preinstalled behind the dash for the factory trailer brake controller. I see the spot in the dash is there to accept one. I pull trailers all the time and the need for a brake controller is great. I had to add a receiver hitch already, I can't believe there are pickups sold in todays world that do not come standard with them.:4-dontknow:

Anyhow was just wondering if anyone has added the factory controller and what is needed to do it. I was going to stop by the dealer and price one out and pick their brain as well about the issue.

#2 ·
Yeah as long as your truck is a 2010 or newer the wiring should all be there. For some reason the 2009 trucks do not come with the wiring. I installed the factory controller shortly after I bought my truck and it was very easy and works great. Talk to the dealer they should be able to order the kit from the factory they will need the VIN number for your truck to match the dash color because it will come color matched. If I remember correctly the kit was around the $175 mark but don't quote me on that. The only thing I am not sure on is the trucks that come from the factory with the controller have an extra readout on the dash for the brake controller. I'm not sure if that is something the dealer can re-flash your computer to add or not, I never bothered on mine because I didn't really need it. The controller has all the info I need on it so I figured I can just look down if I need...lol! Hope this helps!!

#5 ·
Just got back from dealer and visited with a friend who is a technician there, he said they need to contact chrysler and add it to the factory spec sheet and then get an ok from them to enable the factory ecm option to recognize the brake controller in the system. I ordered the factory controller and it comes as a kit with 2 different color bezels to match the dash. he said I can install it but do not plug it in until they enable the system.

Kit was $230 + what ever the cost will be to enable probably 50-60 bucks.

#6 ·
same here only mine worked right out of the box. installed it myself and such. Just called the dealer and they said they can flash it to show up in the ECU if i wanted. Probably have that done when it goes in for some recall work.

#7 · (Edited)
Well brake module kit came, very simple 10 minute install but there are supposed to be 2 harness connectors under the dash and be danged if I can find the second one. there is a large 4 blade and a small 4 blade square connector and I can not find the smaller of the 2 under the dash anywhere.:doh:

Guess the dealer will have to find it when they update the ecm and plug it in next friday when I get my right front axle shaft seal replaced.

#8 · (Edited)
Would be nice if the mods would let a person know when they move a thread to a different section.:thk:

I just got back from the dealer for some warranty work and to have them program the pcm to recognize the brake controller and found out my 2010 is an early enough build that it didn't come with the new wiring harness and thus will not accept the factory brake controller. My 2010 was a build date of 10-09 so anyone out there take note of this. there are supposed to be 2 connectors for the factory controller mine only has 1. so now to look for an aftermarket one.

Dealer even looked up the vin before ordering it to make sure it would work but they missed the mark on this one.:doh:

#9 ·
Well after looking around I found another way to install an aftermarket controller in the little cubby hole slot in the dash where the factory one would have gone. I found a "Curt" brake controller that is small enough to fit inside the pocket and keep the underside of the dash clean and have the controller in its designated spot. I will post pics as I do it. I am going to drill an hole in the back side of the pocket for the controller harness to fit through and will velcro tape it in place. It will be a very simple and clean install.:smileup:

#14 · (Edited)
Well after looking around I found another way to install an aftermarket controller in the little cubby hole slot in the dash where the factory one would have gone. I found a "Curt" brake controller that is small enough to fit inside the pocket and keep the underside of the dash clean and have the controller in its designated spot. I will post pics as I do it.
Did you do your brake control like this? Let us know! Pics!

#10 ·
you can buy the second harness on ebay and make the factory one you bought work. Its just a power harness, and it only needs to be programmed by the dealer it you want it to display on the evic. If you dont program it will still work like an aftermarket unit will....

#18 ·
This has been covered many times. You need to find a post by Netman66. It's the Encyclopedia Britanica of the factory controller for trucks that have both wiring pigtails and even a tutorial on how to hook it up to trucks that just have the one pigtail.

#20 ·
Maybe I'm misreading you here, but my understanding on using the factory controller is that you must have the 2 separate plug connectors in the factory wiring harness or use the "go-around" by wiring in the wires in all 1500 pickup's wiring harnesses to make it work as outlined in Netman66's post on this issue. All Ram 1500 trucks do not have the 2 separate plugs required by the factory controller even if they have the trailer/tow package. They do, however, have the standard 4-pin connector for an aftermarket controller.

#22 ·
OK...here's Netman66's post on the factory brake controller and on how to wire in the controller on a 4th Gen with only the single 4-pin connector. A fellow named "ken99" came up with the relatively simple DIY wiring deal that lets you use the factory controller when your truck has just one connector. I think ken99's tutorial starts somewhere on page 2,3, or 4. This is a huge thread, and if you want to know just about everything about the factory controller, go here.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=52410

This thread is in the "Dodge Knowledge Base" or something similar, when it should really be a sticky in this "Towing" section for Gen 4 trucks. As pointed out by GTY, either all or many Express level trucks don't have the 2 connectors. It may also be an issue of whether the truck has EVIC or not. My '12 Express without EVIC does not have both connectors.

#28 ·
For what it is worth on the topic, I almost bought a 13 laramie last week that did not have the brake assist factory option, which is $250. When I inquired to the dealership how much it would cost to get it added, they quoted me roughly $450 for the part and $150 for labor. Hence, about $600 for a $250 factory option. He did state that going aftermarket would probably be a cheaper option.

I ultimately did not buy this vehicle since it was missing a couple of other factory options that I wanted on my truck. In the end, I bought a truck that had options I did not want to spend money on to get options I did want.

#29 ·
I agree my first choice would have been to order a truck or find one with the controller but I bought a truck off a dealer lot without the option because the price was too good to turn down. List on the factory window sticker was $41,440 and I got that for $27,625 :smileup:.

I'm having a local dealer install the factory controller and switch with the truck programming on Friday for $150 labor (1.5 hrs). The parts are costing me $176 for the controller and $56.50 for the dash switch panel.
Those are the prices in Canada, USA parts are usually cheaper.

#30 ·
Help!!!!

I just bought another factory controller form the dealership today as I had thought mine had malfunctioned. I installed it and plugged the trailer into the truck and same issue. The trailer brakes are making a faint clicking sound. About once or twice a second. I verified when the drums were off that the magnets were energizing and releasing. Thus the clicking noise. Can someone out there please hook up to their trailer and see if their truck does the same thing.
PLEASE!

#31 ·
I just bought another factory controller form the dealership today as I had thought mine had malfunctioned. I installed it and plugged the trailer into the truck and same issue. The trailer brakes are making a faint clicking sound. About once or twice a second. I verified when the drums were off that the magnets were energizing and releasing. Thus the clicking noise. Can someone out there please hook up to their trailer and see if their truck does the same thing.
PLEASE!
If my parts come in and my controller is installed tomorrow I will check it at the 7 pin bumper connector with a tester and post back.
I can't try the trailer right now because it's in storage.

#34 ·
I seem to have the same problem, put in factory controller and it looks great, but went away last weekend and I had the gain set at 4.0 because of a lot of hills. Well my brakes were set and i didn't know it. set controller back to 0 and it towed fine. When I use the brakes with the gain at 0 the unit reads 1.0 then 2.0 then max at 3.0. Had the dealer set it up when i installed it so it would work with the computer. Now they tell me there is nothing wrong with it and the comp. knows how much brake to use. Any thoughts?

#35 ·
Mine is a 13, not a 12 but I connected my open car trailer while it was empty and the brakes worked fine except they were locking up when I pushed the brake pedal because of no load on the trailer. Even when it was set for 5 the trailer brakes were not on while driving down the road. I did set it to 1 and the brakes no longer locked up with the empty trailer. Later in May I will be pulling the trailer with a car on it so I'll see then but I don't think there will be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.