DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Vibration problem

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  hunter416 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab. It has a small vibration that feels like its in the rear at times and in the front at other times. My mechanic has checked all the u-joints in the front end and the drive shaft and they are a all good. It has all new wheels and tires. The ball joints are good. The vibration is not in the steering. Any ideas?

#2 ·
you posted this question before in a different section and two of us answered. Did you see it?

#4 ·
It's okay! The site can take some getting used to. Just click your user name in the upper right hands corner, then click "statistics" then click "view all threads by hunter416" there you can find your old post

#5 ·
Thanks! In your reply you asked if the vibration was there before the new wheels and it was. The vibration was there before and I was told one of the old wheels had bend in it that was causing the vibration. I put a set of American Racing wheels on it and a set on Hankook tires on but the vibration is still there. At times it feels like its in the rear end and sometimes it feels like it's in the front. My mechanic has drove it and says he doesn't think it feels like it's in the steering nor do I. I'm at a loss.

#6 ·
Does the vibration now seem DIFFERENT in any way than the vibration before the wheels/tires?

Possibility: there was a vibration caused by the bent wheel. Now that's gone...but a new vibration due to new wheels. Common with aftermarket wheels, they usually are no longer hub-centric (centered by the hub) and are only lug-centric now. Aftermarket wheel companys will make the inner bore of the wheel larger so that it can be used on more vehicles. So what happens is your wheel can be slightly off center and cause a "vibration" while at speed. I am currently experiencing this with my new wheels. Every time I take my wheels off to do maintenance and put them back on, the vibration is coming from a new spot. Because sometimes I luck out and the wheel snugs up centered, and sometimes it doesn't.

#9 ·
New ball joints, lowered the air pressure in the new tires, and replaced a badly warped rotor and a very worn out caliper on the drivers side. Keeping my fingers crossed. I will let you know after I test it.
good luck man! hopefully the issue is resolved

#11 ·
Put aluminum hub centric rings from motorsport-tech.com on all 4 wheels and the remaining vibration is gone! The guys at motorsport-tech even had the measurements for my center bore on my truck, which no one else seemed to have. Here's the link if anyone else needs it. They do a lot of other stuff as well, check them out.
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/4DCGI/hub_rings.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.