DODGE RAM FORUM banner

3M Protection

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Otterdriver 
#1 ·
:smileup:The front end of my Ram is getting a few Rock Chip's on her. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone in for the 3M Protection & how much it cost & what do you think of it ?????:wavey:

#5 ·
Just throwing in my two cents: I've seen two vehicles with the 3M trim on it, and it does look good at first...but after a couple of years, and if you do have to remove it for any reason, you can see a dull appearance with the rest of your vehicle, and a "new" finish with the part of your vehicle that was covered with the 3M. It looks uneven as hell. It's also expensive as hell. I've seen people pay up to 600-800 just to get the front of their hood done, and their fender wells done as well. Again, this is just my two cents, but I'd rather pay $100 for mud flaps, a couple of hundred for fender flares, and 200 for a hood deflector....

#7 ·
I should have done it to the painted area under the grill.. Too late now its all chipped to shit haha

#8 ·
Thank's for the feedback guy's.I just checked out the 3 m site.might even try it myself & see what happen's.

#9 ·
I went to a shop that has the pattern maker for the cutting of these plastic films. The owner of the shop showed me the whole layout of the shop, the prep area, the rolls of different thickness plastics, the application, etc
if you look very closely you can just make out the edges of the film, he told me that dirt, wax, etc. will build up along those edges, but, with a bit of TLC, its not very difficult to clean that area.
I wanted to have it in a few places, like the front & hood area & anywhere someones belt buckle could scratch the paint, & then around the gas filler access door.
My factory paint job has so much orange peel on the whole cab, that the price is not worth it, when the current paint job gets damaged enough to have it repainted properly, i will be using the 3M
I did get my headlights & windshield done with a chemical called Diamon-Fusion, its a nano technology product, most of the small impacts that typically hit the windshield during normal driving conditions and that will typically chip, dent or even crack an untreated windshield, will bounce right off a DF-treated windshield due to the impact resistance properties. It has saved my windshield on many occasions, i closely follow semi trucks for a living, i'm tailgating more often than not, rocks are always hitting my truck & i don't have a single mark on the glass or plastic headlight covers
another good thing about it, watch the video, 1 side of glass has not been treated, glad they used a Chebby :LOL:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2MyQTY6saY

#10 ·
I had the front end done by a local glass tinting shop. As I recall the cost was around $250.00, which I thought was more than reasonable. He ordered a kit from some outfit that comes all precut and ready to install. I am not sure it is the 3M stuff but it looks great and he guaranteed it would not yellow. You do have to be careful when waxing to prevent build up along the seams or use a soft piece of toothpick or something to clean that area once in awhile. I like it since it has protected the paint from flying rocks and helps when scrubbing all those bugs off. I also had him do my Shelby Mustang but that kit was a lot more expensive for some reason.

#11 ·
I had the hood of my WRX done at the dealership with pre-cut 3M (also cost around $250), and it was the best thing I did for that car! Kept the rock chips at bay, and looked great. Never turned yellow or peeled in the 5 years I had it. I wish I had done the front of my Ram...

#12 ·
Had mine done at Stripe tech

Stripe tech in Calgary did my 2010 Ram for about $700. That included hood, front sport bumper, grill, mirrors (as all are painted white) and lights. I had the 3M stuff before on a 2000 Sierra and loved it....but be careful buddy of mine went with a cheaper version...and his yellowed after 2 yrs. Stripe Tech guarantees the 3M for 5 years.

#13 ·
I've had my Xpel film on my truck for almost a year now. I have everything done (hood, bumper, rocker panels). My father has his car done and he has had it for 3 years and it's still holding up great. No yellowing or anything like that.

As for the post at the beginning that talked about the difference in the finish when you pull off the film... If you keep up the paint and detail it on a regular schedule then it won't be a problem. I'd rather do paint correction like that than have a ton of chips.

#14 ·
Getting the 3m protection for the front end is a good idea!

PLEASE DO NOT GET A BRA FOR THE FRONT!!!!

Thanks for the Diamon Fusion idea!! I really think that is good to do all the fron peieces to protect!!

#15 ·
Awesome 3M paint protection by Calgary Shield

Highly recommend the 3M protection on your RAM col.

I took the brand company truck to the field a couple weeks ago. (2010 RAM1500 with <1000k when I took it, still got the new car smell:woohoo:) Drove 1200k(about 20% on gravel) and I notice some small dents at the front and scratches on the paint behind the wheels (this one could be me going too crazy at the first time getting my hands on a HEMI engine:D) I am sure you don't want this happen to your baby...

I had the 3M paint protection put on the new mustang I bought last month by Calgary Shield and they did a wecked job on it :smileup:! I am a quite picky person when comes to cars but I can't find a single flaw on the shield they installed. And the shield actually saved my bumper a few times already.

I got it on the bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, and the rocker panels(a must have for peeling out if you think mud flaps affect the look). They quoted me around $800 for all these, which is fare, comparing to repainting the bumper/hood or other 3M shield installer I contacted around calgary. But I spent most of my saving on the down payment and couldn't afford that. So they cut me a cash deal with warranty for a significantly lower price, in exchange for a picture of my car on their website.

If you want to see some pictures or find out more about it shoot me an email at mr.eric.hu@gmail.com, I am very happy about it and want to share this with other people. Or you can contact them directly at http://www.stoneguard.ca/contact. They are very nice people and real easy to deal with.

Hope you enjoy your RAM1500 col, can't wait to get sent out for another field trip...:gr_grin:

#17 ·
Had mine done the first year I bought the truck, you really have to be looking hard to see the edge of the film on the hood, the line starts about 18 inches up, got the clip under the grill done also. No regrets with the 3M, had it done at Ming, they enter your vehicle type on their computer program and it is laser cut to fit. I think I paid about $300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.