DODGE RAM FORUM banner

5.7 HEMI RPM expectations when towing

8K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DenTilly 
#1 ·
Am a new owner of a 2014 RAM CC Outdoorsman model with the 5.7 HEMI / 8 speed transmission. I am reaching out to the forum in the hope to get some answers my powertrain questions. I have been to the dealer, called the 800 RAM number, sent an email to the global head of RAM powertrain engineering, etc with no luck so far.

Specifically, I am trying to understand what is a reasonable RPM level to expect from my powertrain when towing my 5500 lb RV. In the past,, towing this small trailer, I have used an older 6.0 PSD diesel from Ford, which was way overkill for the load. When time came to buy a new truck, for many reasons, my new RAM was and is the best choice.

That being said, the 5.7 / 8 speed powertrain does require more RPM for torque while towing than the 6.0 PSD. I am entirely OK with this, but....I do not have any understanding for what is a reasonable RPM that will not un-duely strain or stress my 5.7 engine.

My wife and I are very conservative drivers, typically land cruising at 60 mph +/- minus 5 mph depending on the terrain and weather conditions. From our recent 47 day adventure from Canada down into FL, AL, TX, TN covering some 5000 miles, it seems that the sweet spot is 2200 RM +/- 200 on the flats, about 3000 RPM +/- 300 in the hill country,and about 3400 RPM +/-200 on 5 or 6% long hills [throttled way back to 50 mph]. However, on great occasion we hit plus 3700 RPM which made us feel somewhat uneasy as it seemed to be too much RPM.

We hope that we can get feedback from someone with specific technical knowledge of the 5.7 HEMI / 8 speed tranny, so that we know that we are putting our powertrain to best use for us, and the longevity of our engine and transmission. RAM is a great truck, and we expect to travel many thousands of miles in it exploring.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's a hemi, they love to rev. 4000 rpm is fine. I tow way heavy trailers, have a hot cam that shifts at 6300. My hemi develops most dyno hp at 6,000 rpms. AS long as oil tem doesn't get too high or water temp. I run a 180F thermostat and a deep MagHytec trans pan, helps to keep trans temp down. I've towed trailers as heavy as 15,000 lbs, no problem. It's just different power than a diesel. Oh, mine has 215,000 miles, burns no oil and tows great, I just don't worry about the rpms, it's a hemi. Put her in Tow Haul mode, turn up the stereo.:smileup:

#3 ·
good to know HEMI's and higher rpm's go well together

Thanks much for the feedback, and comforting to know from a senior member that higher rpm's and hemi's go well together. Just by way of further background....why is a HEMI so well suited to higher rpms than some other type of engine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.