DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
bigtony is on a distinguished road

rumfoot,
got the e-mail and the o2 sensor is only an emission component. This does not affect the starting of the engine. Have you replaced the crank sensor? It's behind the passenger head bolted to the block poking through the bell of the trans. This could get hot and malfunction, cool off and work again. It's in that type of location from what I seen on mine. MAF sensor could affect the starting as could the MAP sensor.
I haven't looked on mine but see if it has a fuel rail pressure regulator this could also cause flooding if it's malfunctioning. Had a Ford that sat for nearly a year and the fuel regulator caused starting problems, idle, die and not start till I let it sit for a bit. Replaced the fuel regulator and worked fine. I think the gas varnished and messed it up from sitting for a year. He couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start and all I did was reset the fuel pump breaker on the passenger side kicker. Got a good deal on that truck. Let me know what move you make because I just rambled a bunch and gave you many options, I'm good at that.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram 1500 5.9L
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
rumfoot is on a distinguished road

Yes i have replaced the crank sensor my symptoms did not change when i replaced the crank sensor. How can the fuel pressure regulator cause this problem when the engine is turned off the fuel injectors are theoretically closed. Doesn't the o2 sensor act as a lean/ rich switch. I was having an issue with it stalling when i put it in drive but i think the TPS and the IAC fixed that. I haven't replaced the MAF sensor or the o2 sensor. My fuel filter/pressure regulator is in the fuel tank UGH. It would be a tossup as to which one to change first. The truck has 188k miles it has set for two years and has been neglected. I have rebuilt the front suspension. I am nearing the point where i think the best thing to do is take it to a professional who can scope it and fix it. I think my money would be better spent going in that direction rather than blindly guessing which sensor or part to replace next. I want to thank everyone have has helped me with this project. When i get the issue resolved i will post it.
Thanks everyone
Rumfoot (Danny)
Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
bigtony is on a distinguished road

I just looked my truck over doing the intake gasket's today, the 98 didn't have a MAF on the air intake just after the filter but before the TB like my Impala. It likely has the MAP sensor but I need to ask the dealer in the morning when I pick up more parts because I seen a sensor on the front near top of the intake left side looking at the engine and it sticks into the intake, between the TB and the injector. Not really sure what sensor it is but I think it measures the air before mixing with the fuel. I'm still learning about the truck but I'll post the info. I had oil and carbon all over the inside of the intake. Taking it to the shop might be the way to go but make sure you tell them all the parts you just replaced so they don't attempt to do the same thing. Some shops still guess at the problem, I caught the Dealer doing it. You are gaining ground. Mine had 182,000 when I got it 2 yrs ago and I have 220,000 on it now. You did much of the same work I did, but mine always ran pretty good till lately. Using way more oil than I care for and it's not leaking it on the driveway, now I know why. I seen all I needed to see after removing the intake. I get it back together it should purr, get better gas mileage and stop going through oil like I own a well. Good luck at the shop.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Bigtony
Thanks for all of your help. I will have save some money for a couple of weeks before taking it to a shop. I will post the results when it is fixed. 7/25/14
Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

guys
Google (OBDi ram gasoline engine fault codes) Dodge ram info page will give you a world of information about how to get codes without a OBDII reader. MY fix was a bad coil.
Thanks for your help
Rumfoot 7/28/14 Last entry to this thread