DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Building a box for 2 subs

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rex450se 
#1 ·
I'm already looking to make a second, better now that I have a better idea what I'm doing, center console sub box.

This was the first one.
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=100621

So I am wanting to work in 2 12" Alpine Type R's into this so it will need to be bigger and an odd shape more than likely. I am also wanting it ported. Is it necessary for the subs to be in their own box sealed from the other or is it as simple as doubling the box size and port size? Since it won't be a simple box, getting the box divided evenly for the 2 subs will be quite difficult for the shape I am planning. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Victor

#2 ·
You do not need separate chambers, but it is preferred by some. Recommended cu ft per chamber on a dual chamber 12" box is somewhere between 1.60 and 2.80cu ft. The recommended cu. ft for a shared chamber 12" ported sub box is somewhere between 2.50 and 3.60 cu. ft. A shared chamber creates more of an echo effect. If you make a sealed box it has been said you can stuff insulation in the box and it will make it sound better.
of course the port sizes vary by box but I would recommend doubling the port. you know about creating air canals for the ports right?

#3 ·
What do you mean "air canals" for the ports? I have never heard anything referred to air canals.

Also, if I were to make it sealed does each one need it's own chamber or not? I'm just weighing my options here. Thanks

Victor

#4 ·
No, you do not need to make dual chambers. One chamber will work just fine. If you are looking to port the enclosure remember if you make dual chambers, you will need dual ports. Where as with a single chamber, one port will work.

As far as the port, do the calculations needed. Doubling the box size does not always mean the port gets doubled. The port should be larger, but the amount is not always set in stone. It's better to check first before building....what's that old saying....measure once cut twice, measure twice cut once.

#5 ·
Well this is what I came up with. It's right at 1.1 cu ft per sub. On the low end of the 1-2 cu ft Alpine recommends, but well within specs. And it is loud. I am running it off of an old reliable Kicker 1200.1 running 1200 watts rms at 1 ohm. It has one sub downward firing and one rearward firing with the port over the rear sub.

Victor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.