DODGE RAM FORUM banner

DIY Upgrade 5.0 radio (ra2) to 8.4an (ra4) with navigation

427K views 2K replies 168 participants last post by  SitKneelBend 
#1 ·
I am in the process if ordering parts to attempt to swap out my 5.0 uconnect radio with a 8.4 navigation radio. I will use this thread as a DIY for anyone else who is interested in doing the same thing. I have bought a nav radio, steering wheel audio controls and am planning on swapping everything out over the next two weeks. I will try to document everything with pictures so stay tuned.

Also, I know a guy who has quite a few nav players where even if you have the 8.4 without nav, you can replace yours and sell yours to offset the price. If you interested in one if these, let me know and I'll see if I can get us a bulk order deal!

#5 ·
Interesting. I too will join the group in seeing how you progress on this. I have the RES Sirius radio with the hard radio buttons /steering wheel controls but no blue-tooth module/USB port. This upgrade would be worth my time if you can document how you make this work. Good luck!

#9 ·
Actually, it's not the after market unit, it's the oem navigation. If you have the 8.4 without navigation, you could replace it with one with navigation (which has hd radio) and sell yours to offset the cost. It would be much cheaper than the $500 the dealers are charging...

#1,667 ·
I have a NAV enabled in my 2017... i found out today, if you have the dealer enable the NAV on the NAV capable 8.4, you do not get the options for XM TravelLink, Traffic in NAV or the Weather. The difference is 8.4A (capable) to 8.4AN <- NAV enabled at factory. Exploring the upgrade options, the dealers cannot help

#1,493 · (Edited)
what radio is it

Is that a 8" radio in a slt bezel. what vehicle is it out of. I have that exact setup but the 2014 Ram 1500 UCONNECT® 5.0/RA2 radio.

I have a 2014 Lonestar and am looking at a new truck because of the radio. I just found a replacement bezel for the 8.4an

OEM auto parts has a new bezel for the 8.4an with radio for 995.00 complete. Looks like this may save me buying a new truck.

http://oemautopartsco.com/products/...-3500-uconnect-gps-navigation-8-4an-ra4-radio

#16 ·
So I got the trim piece with the AC controls and the plugs are different. So that is the only thing that did not go smooth. This means you need to have steering wheel audio controls to make this mod. The AC controls still work but you cannot adjust the AC on the screen, only the hard dials...

#17 ·
Originally Chrysler said this upgrade was not compatable with the lower systems. I am guessing that the screen controls will not work the functions in the truck, cooled seats, air, etc.

Most likely it is all software and maybe a module change somewhere but good luck trying to get that.

#21 ·
Alright, I am finally getting around to writing up my DIY. Just a quick background of what I had and what I wanted to do. When purchasing my truck, I wanted to have navigation but all the trucks on site with navigation had at least $7000 added to the price tag so I went with one with the 5.0 RA2 Radio with bluetooth. I had read that it was not possible to swap out any radio in the 2013/2014 rams so I wasn’t even thinking of attempting it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a post that said that it is a direct plug and play so I went out and found a "cheap" OEM navigation radio (RA4) to try it out. Here is a summary of my experience.

Parts I bought: RA4 8.4 radio with navigation (this has HD radio), Radio trim with AC controls (don’t buy this), Steering wheel with audio controls, Steering wheel back for audio controls

Start off by removing the negative off the battery and let the truck sit for a few minutes.

Next, to remove the radio trim and gain access to the radio you need to peal up the rubber cover at the sunglass holder, right under the “RAM”. This will reveal two hex screws, unscrew these an pull the whole trim off, it takes some force but will pop right out.

Now you have access to the four screws holding the radio in place, remove these four screws and pull the radio out. There is one large plug, one medium plug and two small plugs, unplug them all and set the radio aside. All these plugs will now be plugged into the new 8.4 radio, direct plugin (plug and play). Use the same four screws to fasten it back in place.

I bought the radio trim with the volume and climate controls but found out when I received it that it is not possible to swap this out. The 5.0 (RA2) radio has manual climate controls where the 8.4 radios have automatic controls. After digging into it, this is not possible to replace as it would require additional modules, flashing and might still not work. I decided to keep the original trim on and see how it works. After reattaching the radio trim, I realized its not a perfect fit at both the radio and the dash but is close enough that nobody would notice it without pointing it out.

My next step was adding audio controls to the steering wheel. (If you already have steering wheel controls you can skip this step) If you google around, you can find instructions on taking off the steering wheel/airbag. There are two screws on the bottom of the steering wheel column trim that will allow you to remove the top trim piece. Once this is removed, lower the steering wheel to the lowest position. There are three clips holding the air bag to the steering wheel, to remove these you need a straight edge screwdriver an you will pry the clips from the inside out. This will take some time to figure out but once you get the first on, its all downhill from there. After removing the third clip, disconnect the two connections to the airbag and set this aside. Now, remove the center nut and use a marker to mark where the steering wheel is aligned then wiggle the steering wheel back and forth to slide it off the column. Disconnect the plugs and if you bought a steering wheel with audio controls, it is a simple plug and reconnect everything. I bought a brown steering wheel so I took the harness and controls out of that steering wheel, replaced them with mine and installed a new back cover (with holes for steering controls) and reinstalled the steering wheel. It looked like the steering wheel can only go on one way because there is a notch in the column that realigns the steering wheel but if not, make sure you align the steering wheel with the marker marks from before. Now work backwards and reassemble everything (remember to replug in the air bag.

Reconnect the negative and turn your truck on! At first, the navigation screen said “SRT” when it turned on but the second time it showed up as “RAM”. I didn’t need to flash the system, everything works! Well, not everything, because the radio trim wouldn’t work, the climate controls on the screen do not work but when you adjust everything with the hard buttons, it shows it on the screen so its compatible. Since the 5.0 (RA2) radio had volume controls on the radio, you lose the volume controls on the dash, hence the adding audio controls to the steering wheel. The only other item I noticed that is different then if it came with your truck is the “Apps”. I don’t have the wifi in my system so I cannot download or use any apps, no big deal but if you are looking for that feature, this isn’t for you.

The navigation directions do show up on my cluster which is awesome, the radio sound quality is much better (more base) and the uconnect works perfect including navigation commands.

I was able to sell my 5.0 radio on ebay and everything ended up only costing me $100. I still have the brown steering wheel so if I can sell that, the cost goes down even more. If you have any questions, let me know but I am completely satisfied with this mod!

Attachments

#1,756 ·
Alright, I am finally getting around to writing up my DIY. Just a quick background of what I had and what I wanted to do. When purchasing my truck, I wanted to have navigation but all the trucks on site with navigation had at least $7000 added to the price tag so I went with one with the 5.0 RA2 Radio with bluetooth. I had read that it was not possible to swap out any radio in the 2013/2014 rams so I wasn’t even thinking of attempting it. A few weeks ago I stumbled across a post that said that it is a direct plug and play so I went out and found a "cheap" OEM navigation radio (RA4) to try it out. Here is a summary of my experience.

Parts I bought: RA4 8.4 radio with navigation (this has HD radio), Radio trim with AC controls (don’t buy this), Steering wheel with audio controls, Steering wheel back for audio controls

Start off by removing the negative off the battery and let the truck sit for a few minutes.

Next, to remove the radio trim and gain access to the radio you need to peal up the rubber cover at the sunglass holder, right under the “RAM”. This will reveal two hex screws, unscrew these an pull the whole trim off, it takes some force but will pop right out.

Now you have access to the four screws holding the radio in place, remove these four screws and pull the radio out. There is one large plug, one medium plug and two small plugs, unplug them all and set the radio aside. All these plugs will now be plugged into the new 8.4 radio, direct plugin (plug and play). Use the same four screws to fasten it back in place.

I bought the radio trim with the volume and climate controls but found out when I received it that it is not possible to swap this out. The 5.0 (RA2) radio has manual climate controls where the 8.4 radios have automatic controls. After digging into it, this is not possible to replace as it would require additional modules, flashing and might still not work. I decided to keep the original trim on and see how it works. After reattaching the radio trim, I realized its not a perfect fit at both the radio and the dash but is close enough that nobody would notice it without pointing it out.

My next step was adding audio controls to the steering wheel. (If you already have steering wheel controls you can skip this step) If you google around, you can find instructions on taking off the steering wheel/airbag. There are two screws on the bottom of the steering wheel column trim that will allow you to remove the top trim piece. Once this is removed, lower the steering wheel to the lowest position. There are three clips holding the air bag to the steering wheel, to remove these you need a straight edge screwdriver an you will pry the clips from the inside out. This will take some time to figure out but once you get the first on, its all downhill from there. After removing the third clip, disconnect the two connections to the airbag and set this aside. Now, remove the center nut and use a marker to mark where the steering wheel is aligned then wiggle the steering wheel back and forth to slide it off the column. Disconnect the plugs and if you bought a steering wheel with audio controls, it is a simple plug and reconnect everything. I bought a brown steering wheel so I took the harness and controls out of that steering wheel, replaced them with mine and installed a new back cover (with holes for steering controls) and reinstalled the steering wheel. It looked like the steering wheel can only go on one way because there is a notch in the column that realigns the steering wheel but if not, make sure you align the steering wheel with the marker marks from before. Now work backwards and reassemble everything (remember to replug in the air bag.

Reconnect the negative and turn your truck on! At first, the navigation screen said “SRT” when it turned on but the second time it showed up as “RAM”. I didn’t need to flash the system, everything works! Well, not everything, because the radio trim wouldn’t work, the climate controls on the screen do not work but when you adjust everything with the hard buttons, it shows it on the screen so its compatible. Since the 5.0 (RA2) radio had volume controls on the radio, you lose the volume controls on the dash, hence the adding audio controls to the steering wheel. The only other item I noticed that is different then if it came with your truck is the “Apps”. I don’t have the wifi in my system so I cannot download or use any apps, no big deal but if you are looking for that feature, this isn’t for you.

The navigation directions do show up on my cluster which is awesome, the radio sound quality is much better (more base) and the uconnect works perfect including navigation commands.

I was able to sell my 5.0 radio on ebay and everything ended up only costing me $100. I still have the brown steering wheel so if I can sell that, the cost goes down even more. If you have any questions, let me know but I am completely satisfied with this mod!
For rams with the FOUR speed fan

Ra3 or Ra4 Radio (eBay, Amazon, auto wrecker)
Hvac Control Module 68105017Ax
Dash Bezel 1UJ96DX9AF
Conversion harness, 4 speed specifically
911 Error Fix/Cellular Fooler Plug from Oemautopartsco

The 4 speed fan is more expensive, more parts and more work to make, $125 shipped. I'm waiting on an order of parts and then I will make it for you right away if you need it.
7 Speed fan harness is $80 shipped.
Hey what exactly does this harness do, I have the 4 speed fan and no volume controls I even have steering wheel controls that stopped working once I installed my vp2 8.4 DT SXM this 8.4 came out of a 2019 ram my volume is stuck at volume 20 I even purchased the infotainment 299 bezel with vol knob and still not working hopefully it’s defective I’m at a loss any advice would be greatly appreciated

#23 · (Edited)
I think the group purchase fell through as the guy stopped responding to me. Check ebay for "13 ram navigation" and there is one for $599 or best offer. I was able to sell my old one for $350. I was about to send the trim back but if you want it for $100 shipped, PM me and we can work it out. Let me know soon thought because I was going to return it today.

Also, if anyone is interested in the steering wheel, it is brown leather and you would just need to buy the harness and controls (part numbers below and prices from http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/)

68163713AB Steering Wheel Wiring Harness w/ audio controls wo/Heated Wheel = $15.81
56046098AD Radio switch Right = $42.19
56046099AD Radio switch Left = $43.54

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.