DODGE RAM FORUM banner

DIY Upgrade 5.0 radio (ra2) to 8.4an (ra4) with navigation

427K views 2K replies 168 participants last post by  SitKneelBend 
#1 ·
I am in the process if ordering parts to attempt to swap out my 5.0 uconnect radio with a 8.4 navigation radio. I will use this thread as a DIY for anyone else who is interested in doing the same thing. I have bought a nav radio, steering wheel audio controls and am planning on swapping everything out over the next two weeks. I will try to document everything with pictures so stay tuned.

Also, I know a guy who has quite a few nav players where even if you have the 8.4 without nav, you can replace yours and sell yours to offset the price. If you interested in one if these, let me know and I'll see if I can get us a bulk order deal!

#28 ·
Backup camera, bluetooth, uconnect, everything works. Removing the airbag is the hardest part of the steering wheel controls because you can't see the clips to remove it. once the steering wheel is off its a simple unplug, swap harnesses, plug in controls and replace the back trim and your done, maybe 15 mins...When I installed my radio I didn't have to input a 4 digit code, it just worked. I am having troubles finding a dealership to add the navigation to my vin for future updates. They are saying since they didn't install it, they can't do it and some say they will do it for $200, yeah right! If anyone knows someone who can do this for me, please let me know.

#33 ·
So I think I figured out how to add the volume controls for the navigation add. After digging through the wire diagrams off and on for the past month or so and searching the mopar websites looking at different parts I noticed that the 8.4 screen actually connects to an HVAC module located in the floor board at the passenger side. I ordered this part as well as the harness because I could not find any totaled trucks to pull these parts from. I'm hoping that the harness will have all the plugs needed for this so I can make a custom harness. If this works I will put together another DIY so we can all add the factory navigation with full function! If anyone has those parts or knows someone who has those parts, let me know as I'm still waiting to pick them up.

#35 ·
RE Radio upgrade

@ GETUPKID

Hello I have a 2013 & 2014 ram 1500 CC 4x4 with the RA2 5.0 radios with Bluetooth. I ordered a 8.4 radio off of Ebay and plugged it in and was not able to get power to the unit. So I was able to send it back for a refund. Did you have any similar problems? Or did I get a bad screen. And is your radio the RA3 or the RA4 ? As I really want to add the 8.4 to both mine and my wife's truck. And did the havoc wire harness work for the radio volume.
Thanks for your time

#36 · (Edited)
I am doing the same mod I updated to the 5.0 now I want the 8.4AN, I have one from ebay with bezel. Can you tell what part numbers are involved for the module and the harness?

You ask if anyone has those parts? What are the part numbers?

Also the RA4 has four antenna ports vrs the RA3 having two. I know two are for SAT and AM/FM. But what of the other two? I know there is a GPS Navigation System Antenna - part 5064350AA is this for one of those? if so why does the RA3 not have the port as it can do nav as well? I was wondering if anyone knows what they are for?

If the volume knob and climate controls can work, the next step would be getting it to communicate with uconnect?

Thanks

#40 ·
So the module and harness came in. The harness was completely wrong and the module has just one place to plug in which looks exactly like the 24 pin connector from the knob bezel. I decided not to buy it because I found someone who has a totaled 2013 who might sell me it and some plugs. So as of right now, no progress but will keep you updated.

jetmech, my radio worked perfectly when i turned it on, not sure why yours didn't work.

cptwing, the unit I have does not have 4 plugs, just the two. I'm not sure what those two extra plugs are for but my HD radio and nag both work great. Any help with figuring out how to get this to work is greatly appreciated. It wouldn't be the first time I created a custom harness for a radio ;)

#41 ·
#43 · (Edited)
The OEM Navi solution is interesting, they obviously found a way to add volume control thru the can-bus at that location. I hope the pic they have is far from the finished product. I found out that the HVAC module they use in the bezel is modified not sure how, so the available room for volume control is limited, but a rocker switch really? And what of the other control's IE tuning, mute, back etc. I would love to see one of these from the back and know how they connect to the truck. If anyone buys one please document the install.

Kid, I was going to start looking thru the diagrams but you already have and met with limited success. I really hope you make out better with the wreck you are looking at. Please document all you can, as if you find a way I will need p/ns for my conversion.

As to my other question I cannot see the sticker on the back of your radio kid, but I believe you have the RA3 8.4A radio which does not have factory GPS turned on by default, the dealers can turn it on, apparently yours was. Also the RA3 does not have HD radio. Is your radio a VP3 or a VP4?

Thanks

#44 ·
Help

Ok,so let me get this straight, I have a 2014 ram slt 4x4 with a touchscreen 5.0/Ra2,and your saying that if I buy the 8.4 with nav its plug and play ?.. And I understand the air controls won't work and I'm fine with that,but my gauge cluster is differnt then your so will it still work?. Thank you for any help.
Ps I have the radio control on my wheel already

#46 · (Edited)
Kid any updates? Also wondering will the truck setting still be accessible and function when I swap to the 8.4. I originally had the 3.0 and did not have access to these settings. When I upgraded to the 5.0 I got them, in the radio and the evic. I presently have the cheaper small led evic cluster, but an upgrade is in the works.

#48 · (Edited)
It is possible to add on the 2013 and 2014 I would certainly guess it can be added to the 2015. The only head unit that cannot display the cam is the RA1, the RA2, RA3 and RA4 will all work. For the RA1 there is a kit that replaces your mirror. The 2015 rams have the same head unit options as the 2013 and 2014.

See this thread and others
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=182525

RA1 kit is p/n 82213752AB abt 450.00
RA2, RA3 and RA4 kit is p/n 82214240-001 abt 250.00

Hopefully when you get the truck your dealership will be the exception to the rule and have a clue what they are doing and actually know the correct answer to your question. Most dealerships are clueless and flat out tell you the wrong information when you ask such things. Love my truck hate the non existent support system, guess that's what I get for buying a Fiat truck.

#50 ·
Help please

I have the 5.0 radio i think,lol,its a small screen has bluetooth and two nobs on it,if I unplugg that and get a 8.4 nav radio will that plug right in and work,Im not worried about the ac controls as I have the 3 round nob ones,I just want it fot the nav... any help would be great,I also have radio controls on my steering wheel..

#52 ·
I replaced the 5.0 with the VP4 which has navigation and HD radio. The truck control options (locks, lights, etc) still work on the new unit so you can still program the truck to unlock just the drivers door or all doors, uphill assist, etc. As discussed, I am still trying to figure out how to add the dash volume controls. The RA1 and RA2 (5.0) have volume controls on the radio themselves, when you replace the radio you will lose those controls and will only have the HVAC controls.

The part I ordered fell through so I still have not had the chance to try out the HVAC module yet. I plan on ordering one online this week to try it out. I also need to find the plugs for the back of the HVAC controls for a navigation bezel. Once I get those I will hopefully be able to build a harness to get the controls to work. I will keep you updated if anything works or fails.

#58 ·
I have been researching the climate control upgrade corresponding the 8.4 upgrade. Just to be clear, there are two different climate controls that come with the 8.4 system. There is a single zone push-button style control (not sure if it is truly "automatic" single zone or just manual single zone with push buttons instead of knobs). Does anyone have the single zone push button climate control shown in the image below, and can comment as to whether it is an "automatic" climate control or just manual? See the following image:

There is also the dual-zone automatic control that comes on the higher trim levels. It seems both the single zone and dual zone bezels have only an 8-pin harness. I believe this is the wiring diagram for the 8-pin harness:

It seems the 8-pin harness is just a basic CAN IHS plug that merely communicates the input of the switches and sends them to the CAN system in the truck (I'm not quite clear on where this specific 8-pin harness connects to the rest of the CAN system).

Folks like me with the 5.0 uconnect have the manual single climate control with 3 knobs (as opposed to push buttons). The manual controls have a 24-pin harness, and some have another 5-pin harness. See the following image from the back of my climate controls:

Notice the 24-pin connector in the middle, and the smaller 5-pin connector (oriented vertically) toward the shifter side of the dash. Just for reference, here is a sample of what the front of my climate controls look like:

From other posts concerning this topic, I've seen others that only have a 24-pin on the back of their manual climate controls (w/ knobs). Yet, I have another 5-pin harness on mine as shown in 2nd image above, and I was able to find a wiring diagram here:

The drawing of the connector is incorrect on the wiring diagram above (it's not a 24-pin), but the 5 wires shown in the chart do match the connector/harness in my truck. It sits off to the left (near the shifter side) of the larger 24-pin harness. I'm puzzled why my 2013 RAM SLT Crew Cab w/ Big Horn package (5.0 Uconnect and manual climate knobs) has an extra 5-pin harness that some other folks who have posted pictures don't have this extra 5-pin harness on their units. In any case, it seems the above wiring diagram identifies the 5-pin properly.

I have been trying to find a wiring diagram on the 24-pin main harness in the center stack for the climate control, but I can't seem to find it using the previous resource others have provided (https://techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com/service/repair/wiring/view/classic.htm). I do see a 24-pin connector, but the wiring guide puts the location near the passenger side lower dash/floor. This is the one I'm referring to:

Some of the labeled wires on the guide above just don't seem right for the 24-pin plug in the center stack. So, I'm guessing the above diagram is not the right one for the center stack, but I could be mistaken. Anyone else successfully found the wiring diagram for the 24-pin on the center stack?

In any case what intrigues me about the 8-pin connector on the single zone climate control for the 8.4 bezel, is the wiring diagram shows it as a basic CAN IHS connector. I believe it would be fairly simple to make your own harness based on nearby wires in the center stack that could be spliced into. I'm not sure if the CAN IHS interfaces allows for splicing? (as opposed to a CAT 5 signal which requires a switch/router/hub) If CAN IHS does allow for splicing, one could hypothetically make your own connector by splicing into nearby wires to match the wiring diagram for the 8-pin, ordering just the 8-pin harness. I'm just not sure if CAN IHS allows for splicing. Furthermore, I don't know if there is an additional module required elsewhere for the single zone push-button climate control (obviously for the dual zone automatic control there would be additional hardware and modules necessary, but what about the single zone system?). I could be wrong, but it seems that folks like me with the 3 knob manual controls and 5.0 bezel have some type of controller embedded into the bezel/knobs (given the larger 24-pin connector and smaller 5-pin connector) compared to the 8.4 single zone push buttons (with only an 8-pin CAN IHS connector), where the control module must be somewhere else (?).

My question to folks who have successfully installed the 8.4 in their trucks with manual climate (3 knobs)...do you see corresponding changes on the 8.4 screen under climate when you adjust the 3 knobs and other climate buttons? I think I read where one user was unable to use the 8.4 screen to adjust the climate, but what about the reverse? Does the screen reflect changes made by the manual knobs?

Depending on the answer to the above question, I'm thinking if one could successfully make the 8-pin CAN IHS connector necessary for the single zone push button 8.4 controls (by splicing other wires in the stack), and the 8.4 system reflects changes made to the climate control, then it may be possible for one to upgrade the climate controls to push button single zone (shown in the first image). I'm just not sure if there is another module required, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.