DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Basic Car Audio Electronics

15K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  darkhorseg6 
#1 ·
This is an excellent site for people interested in learning about vehicle electronics. For those of you planning on new systems for your rides, or just a bit confused about voltage, current, ohms and whatnot, this can help ya. Its an all around great resource for audio.

Maybe we could have a mod sticky this

Basic Car Audio Electronics

#3 ·
A good bit late after you put up the link but I'm just now getting into some lighting mods and started searching for help. This will be much used. Thanks!

#10 ·
Absolutely one of the most " patient" write ups I've ever read. :LOL: Excellent! It ran me right back to my younger years of car audio. :smileup:

#11 ·
A question for for anyone with the answer here, I have the 8.4A factory 6 speaker setup in my truck, I'm going to add the underseat sub enclosure with 12 inch subs and I need to know if the factory head has preamp outs on it to run an external amplifier for a set of subs? Any info is greatly appreciated!

D.

#16 ·
A question for for anyone with the answer here, I have the 8.4A factory 6 speaker setup in my truck, I'm going to add the underseat sub enclosure with 12 inch subs and I need to know if the factory head has preamp outs on it to run an external amplifier for a set of subs?

I have yet to hear about any factory head units with pre-amp outputs. The way around this is called a line output converter. There's 2 styles active and passive. Passive works but you will be happier with active just make sure you get a great wire connection...avoid using trailer taps! Also avoid the cheaper 2v. Spring for the 4 or even 6v adjustable units. Installation is easy but I have found that you don't want to put it behind the dash. You'll have a nasty ground loop hum. Best at a rear location like a pillar behind a panel.

#13 ·
I used a PAC audio adaptor in my 2014 RAM with the same system to add pre outs.
https://www.techauthorityonlinedemo.extra.chrysler.com
this website will have the wiring diagram you need to tap into the factory speakers wire behind the head unit. the adaptor was a PAC Audio SOEM-4
Good luck, was pretty straight forward and my system sounded excellent after the install I didn't add any subs, just changed all 6 speakers and amped them up. I ran all new wire to all of them as well, so it completely bypassed any factory processors, and the HU controls were all fully functional, I grabbed the signal from the back of the unit BEFORE it hit any Busses.