DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Aftermarket Head Unit Options (comparable to 430N)

12K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  outlaw17 
#1 ·
All,

What are some good options for a replacement head unit for my 2012 Ram ?

I was looking to buy a 430N , but I'm sure there are better aftermarket options out there and would like to hear some experiences.

I'd like something as close to plug and play as possible .. Something with NAV. I am not looking to replace any amps or speakers if possible.

I have Uconnect, & Sirius ... and would like to keep the USB port in the glove box as welll as have a din connection for iPods.

Suggestons ?

V

#2 ·
I think your going to be hard pressed to get EVERYTHING on your list. Idk if you could find a way to keep your glove box plug, but I'm sure you could find a nav headunit that had an iPod hookup in the rear that you could run into the center console and has a USB plug in the front. Find you local audio shop (NOT BEST BUY, that will turn into nothing by an over expensive headache) and ask questions and let them no what you want. A double din nav unit with lots of bells and whistles does cost a pretty penny though, be ready to spend a grand or so for the unit and possibly a few hundred on install if they won't do it for free with a large purchase and you don't want to tackle it yourself

If you find a headunit you like in person and are comfortable with the install you can buy it online and save yourself a few pennies

#3 ·
I don't know much about the head units, but i do know that they have a different DIN SIZE than is usually called Standard
Most all the people that mod the radio do a little trimming & open the dash to take a Double Din

The DIN sizes for car head units come in two standards.
The single DIN measures 180 x 50 mm or The standard for radio is set at 2" x 7”
the double DIN 180 x 100. . For a double DIN radio it is 4” x 7"

some Chrysler and GM stereos are 3" tall (DIN-and-a-half) or 3" x 7"

when you are ready to shop, look in our vendors section to see if there are any that sell radios & components

there is a lot of info at this site,
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CfcrHY8WmHo/learn/reviews/20030923/car_audio_pointers.html

some radios that would work in my 2009 quad cab
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350/In-dash-GPS-Navigation.html?tp=20212

G
#5 ·
I like the idea of upgrading with an OEM head unit (did the same thing in my truck) and you won't have to add any harness adapters to do so unless the unit you upgrade to needs one for the iPod. That adapter is plug and play.

If you don't have NAV now you'll need an antenna for that function to work. Most aftermarket head unit companies offer one that is compatible with their products.

If you go to an aftermarket head unit, you will need an adapter for it to work with the stock harness.

So you are OK with the sound but want more functionality in the head unit?

#6 ·
Yes, The sound is fine .. just looking for more functionality than the 130 offers. It seems so 1980's.

My BMW Coupe has killer sound, so if it is that I want, I'll just hop in that and go for a ride :)

I like what the 430N offers , but thus far have been unable to find a decent deal on one. Seems everyone thinks they are worth 1500-2000+. Any tips? If I want to spend that much, I'd go to the stealer and pick it up.

Thanks for the replys.
V

#16 ·
Be careful on the MyGig units when crossing from another vehicle model. Some have the mounting tabs on the top and bottom and not the sides like a Ram truck. They may be the high speed bus, but not mount alike. That's a great deal if it's the same!

#21 · (Edited)
Forgive me if this is answered somewhere else, I've not been able to find this on a search yet...

To upgrade from the 130 to the 430, did you need any additional parts? Was the hole in the dash the same size? How did your install go Vacek?

Sorry, just saw this.

The install took all of 15 minutes to pull the dash apart (carefully), take out the 130 and replace it with the 430N. Same wiring harness, same size unit, same screws ..... literally just a quick and simple swap.

My vehicle already had Sirius from the factory, so I did not need to install any extra antennas or anything at all for that matter. GPS worked the second I turned it on .. UConnect & Sirius both worked like nother ever happened :)

Really, it could not have been any simplier.

I also installed a V4 Lockpick ... which was just as easy as the Unit itself, and gives me LOTS more flexibility for iPods, video, cameras, etc ...

If you need any other details, please let me know.

V

#24 ·
I have a 2012 Ram with the RES stereo without Uconnect, is the install just as easy for my unit? Do I just need to get the proper mirror, is the mirror harness the same? I can just get one from a wrecking yard. I was kinda screwed by my salesman so I want to get the 430 unit and do it myself, I will worry about the sound quality at a later date.
Also I would like to get the back up camera working too, is that on the 430 unit as well? I hope to just get all the tailgate stuff from a wrecker as well, but is the truck wired for it up to the rear ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.