DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Exhaust help!

3K views 16 replies 1 participant last post by  erm 
G
#1 ·
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l 4x4 automatic

So i found out today, when getting my truck inspected, that the "cat back" exhaust the previous owner put on consisted of straight pipes after the cat and then two sets of dual tips that have like make shift baffling on the inside edges but they are still straight through. They arnt legal, but they're giving me a sticker anyway.

I want to do an exhaust, but to my way of thinking, why bother doing a cat back when an exhaust system can only flow as much as the most restrictive part? Why not do everything from the headers to the tips? and why not run true dual?

So im thinking id like to do everything from headers to tips, i want cats/a cat, and mufflers/a muffler so that im legal. The guy said if it had a cat, and muffler, and didnt throw a check engine light im fine. So i was kind of thinking two headers, two cats, two mufflers, and two tips. complete dual exhaust. Am i wrong with that idea? what would you suggest i do? Also what size should i go with

Im open to any and all suggestions!!!

G
#2 ·
First things first...check your local regulations. In my state, if the truck was not originally equipped with dual exhaust by the OEM, you cannot install dual exhaust.

Having said that, if your local regs allow such a modification, you are on the right track...start at the exhaust end and go headers, high flow catalytic converters, crossover or "X" pipe, two mufflers of your choice, tailpipes and tips.

To avoid losing low end torque, I would not stray much farther than .25" above stock exhaust diameter. So, if you are at 2.5" now, don't go any larger than 2.75".

Your favorite exhaust shop can tell you, by measuring the pipe at the inlet or outlet of the existing cat, what the stock size is. Some shops will want to put on a 3" catback exhaust and that's fine, as long at the cat inlet or outlet is no larger than .25" of stock.

#5 ·
start at the exhaust end and go headers, high flow catalytic converters, crossover or "X" pipe, two mufflers of your choice, tailpipes and tips.

To avoid losing low end torque, I would not stray much farther than .25" above stock exhaust diameter. So, if you are at 2.5" now, don't go any larger than 2.75".

Your favorite exhaust shop can tell you, by measuring the pipe at the inlet or outlet of the existing cat, what the stock size is. Some shops will want to put on a 3" catback exhaust and that's fine, as long at the cat inlet or outlet is no larger than .25" of stock.
This guy knows his stuff!

i got nothin else :4-dontknow: cause MADDOG got it all :smiley_thumbs_up:

the X pipe is KEY to performance :)

#7 ·
the X pipe equalizes the pressure in the exhaust = better performance

and I have 40's on my truck :)....Ill get a clip of it one of these days....

if you like hard core....i have super 44's on the SRT8 :)....this is a rev to only like 2k :)....ill get some cooler clips once the Vortech is on and all tuned up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26U7Q-FAjdY

G
#8 ·
Anddddd super 44's are what i want.lol
Are there any specific headers that are better than the others, without being twice the cost? also, would highflow magnaflow cats send a check engine light?

#9 · (Edited)
I am a fan of Kooks....but thats just me....

and its possible...it did in the SRT8 cause I have MF cats....but it hasn't been back since i cleared the codes

*i did a search and it looks like you can get ceramic coated hedman hedders for a pretty good price :)

G
#10 ·
Thanks for the kind comments, StevO! You are correct. The "X" or crossover pipe helps to scavenge exhaust efficiently and equalizes the exhaust pulses. It also helps in maintaining low end torque.

Hot exhaust gas, as it cools in the pipe, wants to "crossover" as the length of the pulse increases. Finding the right spot for the crossover pipe is important.

One fool proof way to do that is after you have the duals on without the crossover, paint the inside of the pipe behind the cat with some paint back towards the mufflers. I'd say 12 to 18 inches should be enough. Run the truck for a while around town, do a few WOT blasts just for giggles and grinz, then get back under the truck to see where the paint has burned off...where it ends is a good place for the crossover as the gas has cooled to the point where it wants to crossover.

Hedman, JBA, SLP and Doug Thorley are all firms you should google up and search for applications.

I've used SLP, JBA and Thorley headers before. They have really good quality stuff.

With any header, get a set of Stage 8 fasteners. Once they are in and torqued to the correct spec, when you add the clips, they never back out! Also, get a good set of gaskets. Summit used to carry a line from Russell Pressure Master Seals which were outstanding gaskets. Combine a good set of gaskets with the fasteners and you won't have to worry about leaks.

Interestingly enough, JBA is a California company so all their products carry a California Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions compliance certificate. Since CARB requirements are so stringent, most states recognize this certificate and grant reciprocity...meaning if it has this certificate, it meets or exceeds their emissions requirements and they won't consider your headers or other mods to be in violation of the emissions rulez in your area.

G
#13 · (Edited)
Went on the highway with it today and realized that i may love the bottom end power on the ram, but it has like no top end. I raced my friends 4.3l v6 blazer from a roll, and lost. I tried to get it up to 100mph and it took FOREVER.lol

would doing the full exhaust, the intake, and programmer make a big difference?? I know i know, my evo is my go fast car, not the ram, but still.lol

off topic, but im sure maddog can answer this, Driving today, my friend had me pull over and told me that i had a hose dangling under my truck, looked under it and there is what looks like an egr valve bolted to my front axle on the passenger side. There is a 5/16" hose coming off it, with a plastic barb in it, like so you could connect another hose to it. Where does this go and what is it???

G
#16 ·
off topic, but im sure maddog can answer this, Driving today, my friend had me pull over and told me that i had a hose dangling under my truck, looked under it and there is what looks like an egr valve bolted to my front axle on the passenger side. There is a 5/16" hose coming off it, with a plastic barb in it, like so you could connect another hose to it. Where does this go and what is it???
i forgot exactly what it is, but the guy said its a vent hose for the case on the front axle, something like that, he said just fix it somewhere and make sure it stays out of mud and stuff

G
#14 ·
Just thought of something else, you said not to go more than .25" bigger than stock, well, lets say the stock system is 2", just so its easy to figure out. If i ran dual exhaust, with 2" pipes, then wouldnt that have twice the flow capability and half the back pressure?

Also, i saw a bolt in magnaflow cat, its got pipes that bolt to the factory headers, then down to the cat that uses factory hangers, then a pipe that goes to the cat back. How would this, plus a supper 44 with dual outlet do?

#15 ·
Just thought of something else, you said not to go more than .25" bigger than stock, well, lets say the stock system is 2", just so its easy to figure out. If i ran dual exhaust, with 2" pipes, then wouldnt that have twice the flow capability and half the back pressure?

Also, i saw a bolt in magnaflow cat, its got pipes that bolt to the factory headers, then down to the cat that uses factory hangers, then a pipe that goes to the cat back. How would this, plus a supper 44 with dual outlet do?
ill let the big guy answer this but no i do not believe that to be the case...

and as far as the MF's...if they were like my cars....they just are a drop in sorta thing that bolts right in no issues :)

G
#17 · (Edited)
First, your dangly hose is the front transfer case vent. Just zip tie it up near the axle tube but don't kink it.

With respects to the pipe size, no it won't hurt your truck to go to duals as long as you have the crossover in it as that helps provide the backpressure you need to maintain low end torque.

The magnaflow cat and super 44 single in/dual out system would work great. That's basically what I have only I went magnaflow for the muffler.

Here's a vid of the system:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a136/MADDOG95/Dodge%20Truck/?action=view&current=PICT0003-1.flv

About that top end..your engine needs more air and the stock intake won't provide enough. You just need to get a CAI on it and add a programmer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.