DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Pulling a fellow Z member out...disaster

5K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  RamNJ 
#1 ·
A while ago I exchanged number with a fellow member (RamNJ) to take him wheeling seeing that I wheel to often and he wanted to test the Ram off road. Monday night at about 630 I get a call from him hes stuck a few towns over in a extremly swampy area I head over to give him a hand and see that hes beyond buried all the way up his front suspension with a tire almost in the air in the rear w/ the 3.55 gearing and open diffs this rendered his rear wheels totally useless. After trying to pull from the front and barely budging him I proceded to pull from the back only being able to pull him a foot or two. But in this process I blocked my exit off the trail. After spending over and hour trying to k turn out of the blockage I put myself in he got his buddy out to help us w/ shovels and a chain saw. We gave up on his truck and decided hed need to do his in daylight we cut down a few trees to give my truck more room to get outta there...it wasnt helping so now its about 1am weve been there for hours Ive been eaten alive my skeeters and this mud is the worse ive ever seen and ive been wheeling every weekend almost for the past 2 years all over NJ my only choice was to try to squeeze between 2 trees and exit the other side of hte trail. I fit but not without smacking up my door pretty good (estimate of body shop 350$) It took about a halfhour to get to the other side of the trail through some mud holes where I thought my truck was gonna slide into the river if it wasnt my only choice I would never touch this mud alone. I get to the other side its gated off the boltcutters I borrowed from RamNJs friend break on trying to cut the bolt my only option was to yank the fence out w/ my truck thank god that worked all in all a fun/expensive/interesting night I think I might have malaria from the dozens of bites I got and its safe to say my trucks gonna be pavement princess for a while last 2 trips fourwheeling where nothing but dents and a blown motor enjoy the pics

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Hey everyone first off I just want to say thank you to Moparmaniac and my cousin for helping me out.They are both good people. He came without any hesitation no excuses to help me and my cousin out. Well it was a crazy day Ive never been four wheeling so me and my cousin decided to have a lil fun but didn't know it was this bad. We went down the trail the first time got a stuck but made it out but when we got to the end there was a gate that was locked so we had to turn back. On the way back the area we got stuck was worse this time as you can see on the pictures. So I had many options but by the next day it all came down to my cousin building a bridge out of wood that he brought with him to put under the left side of my truck. We used the jack to jack it up so it can level the truck and I finally made it out. Lesson learned never go mudding,for wheeling, with one truck with no supplies.

#7 · (Edited)
Well glad to help despite the damage and possible malaria it was fun night and one of the reasons I love 4x4s those d-rings and mud tires aint all for show lol to bad we couldnt get you out that night but atleast you got out the next day

#8 ·
Yea it was fun the tires you had on the truck are awesome. I need something like that. I want to go again but not in the mud and with better tires and a lift and probably better gears too.

#9 ·
I dont think gears where the issue so much as the open diff once I get some stuff settled on my truck Ill show ya oak ridge its alotta fun

#10 ·
hey moparmanicac did i see a video of your truck on youtube?

#11 ·
Wow sounds like an experience. God thing you got out liked pretty bad

#15 ·
looks like a fun time and sorry to hear about your baby:(

#17 ·
If you want a pretty vehicle, keep it on the street, if you want to go off road, you either can't worry about dings and dents, or you have to be rich! lol! I used to love going off the street (although never really did much but hang out) but after taking my nice F100 out a half dozen or so times, I quickly realized how rough it is on the vehicle, and how expensive it is....I'm stuck to pavement now as I'm not rich haha

#20 ·
I wish Dodge/Chrysler would make a truck that could compete against the Ford Raptor. That truck is perfect for off road. The Power Ram is awesome though. I would def go for that.

#21 ·
Um they do its called a power wagon and it craps on the Raptor the Raptor would get left in the dust on rocks,mud,hill climbs and anything besides the high speed pre running sand type off roading it was made for which I have no interest in and most people dont have access to that type of trail anyway Power Wagon over Raptor any day.They are two totally different trucks and to be fair you cant compare them b/c one is meant for only one type of wheeling while the other is meant for every type of wheeling but one. But to say that Mopar doesnt make something that competes with it is a slap in the face to the worlds most off road capable stocker http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/1...f150-svt-raptor-vs-dodge-ram-power-wagon.html

#24 ·
The Power Wagon is definitely better than the Raptor for New Jersey's terrain. For Arizona, Texas, Nevada, etc, I'd take a Raptor.

#23 ·
On the 28th & 29th of May, Track is called Red Bud in Buchanan, MI

you will see at least 4 2011 Rams in the new off road race series called TORC (The Off-Road Championship )
they won't run the Ram Runner truck yet :( but, it will be the Pace Vehicle

#27 ·
power wagon ftw so much cooler than the raptor. its funny here in ga i see raptors all the time the people never take them off road there just for going from the subdivision to the mall and back LOL.

#28 ·
wanna get serious with wheelin get a Jeep! My 2011 costs way to much to crawl rocks or get into the mud. If that's what I'm gonna do then my Wrangler is where I turn! ARb's front & rear, 4:88 gears, 35" Pitbulls. I saw that mud you were in, it would be tough for my Ram. But that would be a walk in the park for the Jeep... What I'm sayin is build your truck to do what you want. Myself my Ram will stay mostly onroad, I'll beat the crap out of my $15000 Jeep, not the $47000 Ram.

#29 ·
Exactly! :rep: To each his own, but I couldn't agree more. I have a Jeep that will walk circles around my Ram, and it costs a lot less to fix when you break it. Obviously most people may not have a "spare" but it just scares the heck out of me to beat on a $40k+ Ram just for fun.

#30 ·
Well I agree not beating on $40k Ram but my Ram wasn't $40k it was less then $15k so I really don't have that much of a problem doing anything with it I am prob going to keep it. If I were to spend $40k or more I would buy a Power Wagon.

#31 ·
I am typing this without reading beyond the first page.....my suggestion and it probably has been mentioned if not well cool if it has then also cool, GET A WINCH if you wanna 4x4 in mud, you would be out except for mucky feet that is all. I used to beat up my 85 GMC 4x4 3/4 ton...tough truck was lifted by the dealer and bigger tires put on I got stuck first time out like you. Never again, first of all never bothered to get it that dirty takes too long to get it clean all that mud under and in everything not worth it but when I was called in to help friends I just hooked up my winch and pulled them out sometimes pulled me in but never too far, with the winch pulling my 4 wheels in reverse pulling and their truck in low spinning their tires we always managed to get them out, without any damage only once when a winch cable broke lucky for me it broke at my truck and hit his tailgate...oops.

G
#32 ·
To each their own. If ya wanna go off roadin', go off roadin'! Just understand (and post #1 is a good example) of what you may be getting into and be prepared (tools, straps, come a longs, etc...) and if you are gonna hit mud like that stuff, get a locker for both differentials!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.