DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Should I be worried?????? Opinions wanted!

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Lazarus Truck 
#1 ·
Long story but here goes.

Myself along with about 30 other people pumped gas that had water in it. Come to find out the gas station pumped 2 feet of water from their tank while trying to rectify the problem.

I drove about 500 metres, the truck sputtered, spit and died. The engine light came on so I knew not to mess with it and got it right on a tow truck. Brought it to dealership.

Got home and learned of the issue with the gas. Called the dealership about 30 minutes after I dropped off truck and told them of the issue. They said thanks.

Got a call the next afternoon saying that the fuel pump had frozen. (come to find out after I called them they left the truck out all day and all night. temps were minus 20 celsius overnight.

They told me they just thought the lines would be messed up but never thought the fuel pump would freeze. the water in the gas tank froze too and they had to take the tank off and let it thaw out before they could get it out. Apparently there was about 4 inches of water frozen in the tank.

they told me it would need a new fuel pump or I could chance driving it with the old one after it thawed out and it may or may not stay good. I told them to put a new one in.

(out of all the vehicles broken down mine is the only one still left broke) They advised me that the gas station should pay for the fuel pump. I told them no, it should be the dealership as they left my vehicle out all night to freeze knowing there was water in there.

anyways, I'm quite upset over the whole issue but I'm more worried about possible damage to other parts of the truck particularly the engine.. Should I be worried??? I'm not a mechanic and kind of an idiot when it comes to the ins and outs of how an engine works.

the gas company has been great saying any damage incured at all will be covered in full but I somehow feel that if my truck had of been put into a bay or fixed right away this wouldn't be happening. All the other vehicles affected are back on the road with minimal repair issues. I feel as though the dealership is trying to pawn off repair costs when they made a mistake.

My main concern is that what happens if the water got in the engine and froze up????

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd get the gas station to foot the bill. In all honesty, the dealer had no idea that there could have been THAT much water in the gas. Usually when I deal with water intrusion in fuel tanks, it is only up to about an inch or so max. This is the stations F-up. Let them pay.

#5 ·
^^^^ This is my thinking as well, as long as someone pays. Have the dealer check for fuel leaks around the engine. With that much water it's hard to say how much got into the fuel rails and injectors. It did kill the engine better safe than sorry.

#8 ·
I have a question. If something like this happens and a third party agrees to pay for repairs, does the truck owner lose any control over those repairs?

Can the payer make demands such as 'rebuilt' over 'new' and such? If they can, how do you get around this?

Thanks

#10 ·
I'll roll with one of my dad's favorite sayings: It's not a problem until it becomes a problem....

#13 ·
As much as I hate the "Stealerships", I cant blame them on this one. You cant expect them to rush a critical patient into ICU. It's just another truck with water in the fuel to them. Any ancillary damage, caused by the wait, still falls fully on the fuel station.

Reactions: PaulMys
#14 ·
thanks all for taking the time to post a reply..

my main concern was that somehow this could damage the engine and a year from now something could happen related to this and I could be up the creek..

the gas station has been great. they shut the pumps down as soon as they noticed the error. I really do not think they let this go on one second longer then it had to. My main gripe with the dealership was that of all the vehicles damaged mine is still the only one left broken because the fuel pump was damaged from freezing after I called them to tell them. I guess I'm pissed that it wasn't at least brought into a bay so it wouldn't freeze over night and most of the next day.

The dealership is known for crappy work and I don't take my truck there for regular service. They have been caught a few times burning the piss out of vehicles that were brought in for service. Actually a few weeks back my buddy caught them roasting the tires on a brand new 250 that was in for service...

Needless to say my trust level is extremely low at this point.

Either way the gas station has said they will pay absolutely everything and have been great to deal with so that is a relief but just hoping this doesn't turn into an issue down the road because of frozen water in my engine.

#16 ·
That water could have frozen in the pump (and lines, injectors, rails) on the way to the dealer for all you or the gas station know. Don't sweat that part. Just focus on getting it back on the road and getting reimbursed.

#17 ·
Have them change your fuel pump and the fuel filter, or at least check with them what material the fuel filter is made with, these trucks have the fuel filter in the tank and if it gets very wet with water it can kill the filter. The rest of the system should be fine, you might want to throw in some dry gas or whatever its called just to help flush out any possible left over humidity and in the winter that stuff wont hurt none. JMO I have never had this happen to me, just voicing what I would be asking and doing.

#18 ·
Hi Readeth,

+1 on the engine should be fine. Ask the dealer to do a complete intake check just to make sure that there was no freeze-up in the rails ar intake system.
As for the engine. If it had been the cooling system that froze up then yes definite area of concern. But the the engine stopped running because it sensed a problem with the fuel and thus no there should not be any issues. The amount of water that the injectors put in the cylinder should not be enough to hydraulic the motor.
BTW the gas station is the reason for the problem not the dealer. It is not unusual for them to leave vehicles waiting for service outside. So it is not something extra-ordinary that they did it was simply SOP (standard operating procedure).
Good Luck and hope your back up and running soon.

#19 ·
I'm with everybody else here, if the gas station has admitted fault and said they will take care of any repairs I wouldn't waste any time or energy worrying about the dealer leaving it outside. My question is why did you bring your truck to them if they have such a bad reputation? I would just ask them to make sure anything that may have been effected by this be checked and replaced if need be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.