DODGE RAM FORUM banner

All 09 Ram owners must read!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

140K views 244 replies 158 participants last post by  Airdog 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is a pretty important subject clearly because of how unhappy I am with dodge. Have owned 3 rams, my brother has had 4, even my sister owns a Dakota. The issue is on the 09 1500's, there is a pretty big issue with the exhaust manifold bolts. They have a issue with breaking off either at the head of the bolt or inside the motor. This is a problem with my truck and a problem with a friends truck (same as mine). I have seen many posts on this subject not only on this forum but a few others. My truck was in for a bad shift solenoid and they said i have 4 that are broken and i can tell cause i can hear the ticking. $800 dollars to replace all of them with the new style bolts. Dodge is aware of this issue because they have come out with a new style bolt to replace it. My powertrain warranty does not cover this part on my truck so im in a bit of hot water. I called dodge corp today and talked with someone about it and they say there is no "known issue" with this, even though every dealership has received a letter about this from dodge that if its a problem replace it, if not leave it alone. I have 4 dealerships that are on board with this that they will let dodge call them and tell them how many times they have seen this issue. WHAT I NEED FROM ALL OF YOU is if this is an issue with your own vehicle or someones vehicle that you know of, i need you to post up about it on this blog. I will be forwarding this blog to the tech at dodge corp to let him see how much of a problem this is. I refuse to pay 800 dollars out of my own pocket for a part they decided to go cheap on and is breaking yet for some reason they will not put a recall out about. If i can get enough support they will put it out as a recall and they can be replaced not only for me but for everyone else. PLEASE HELP EVERYONE!!!!:smileup:
The more support for this the closer to a solution we can receive.

See less See more
#3 ·
The exhaust is a part of the Lifetime Power Train Warranty
Engine, transmission, rear end
the exhaust is a necessary part of the engine
something like the alternator or power steering pump may not be
those are covered by the 36,000 mile/3 year warranty
just before i reached 36,000 miles, i bought the Maximum Care Lifetime Warranty
I turned my original 7 year basic care warranty in for the this extended care warranty

The plan that i have now, covers everything but wear parts, brake pads, belts, hoses, tires, etc.

#4 · (Edited)
Anything to do with exhaust should be covered under extended federal emissions which is 8yr. 80,xxx miles. converters, manifolds, and things BEFORE THE CONVERTER. Here is a TSB on the exhaust manifold bolts. Take the tsb to the dealer and have them run the labor ops. to see if they are covered. they will be able to tell you within a short time.

Tsb 11-002-11

This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise, without written permission of Chrysler Group LLC.
THIS SERVICE BULLETIN IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS RAPID RESPONSE
TRANSMITTAL 11-017. ALL APPLICABLE SOLD AND UN-SOLD VIN's HAVE BEEN
LOADED. TO VERIFY THAT THIS SERVICE ACTION IS APPLICABLE TO THE
VEHICLE, USE VIP OR PERFORM A VIN SEARCH IN TECHCONNECT. ALL REPAIRS
ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF WARRANTY.
SUBJECT:
Engine Ticking Sound In Cold Temperatures
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves replace the exhaust manifold bolts for cylinders 7 and 8 with new
stainless steel higher strength bolts.
MODELS:
2009 (DS) Ram 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.7L engine (Sales code EZD
or EZH) built before August 14, 2009 (MDH 0814XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some Customers may notice a ticking sound heard at start-up in cold ambient
temperatures. This sound could be less noticeable as the engine warms to normal
operating temperature. This condition may be caused by broken or loose exhaust manifold
bolts for cylinders 7 and 8.
DIAGNOSIS:
If customers complain of the symptom/condition, perform the following repair procedure.
PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty. Part No. Description
4 06509544AA Stud, Exhaust Manifold (7 & 8 cylinders)
AR (9) 06507746AA Bolt, Exhaust Manifold (only necessary if
exhaust manifolds are removed)
AR (1) 53032965AF Gasket, Left Exhaust Manifold (only
necessary if exhaust manifolds are removed)
AR (1) 53032966AF Gasket, Right Exhaust Manifold (only
necessary if exhaust manifolds are removed)
NUMBER: 11-002-11
GROUP: Exhaust System
DATE: February 17, 2011REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Raise vehicle on a hoist.
2. Remove the exhaust manifold heat shields from both sides.
NOTE: The exhaust manifold bolts may be broken. If possible use vise grips to
attempt removal without removing the exhaust manifold.
3. Remove exhaust manifold bolts on cylinder 7.
4. Can bolts be removed without removing exhaust manifold?
a. Yes >>> Replace exhaust manifold bolts (2 only) torque to 25 Nm (18 Ft. Lbs.),
install heat shield, torque to 8 Nm (70 In. Lbs.) and proceed to Step #5
b. No >>> Remove exhaust manifold remove and replace all bolts, replace exhaust
manifold gasket. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 - Engine > Manifolds >
Manifold, Exhaust, Installation procedures. Proceed to Step #5
5. Remove exhaust manifold bolts on cylinder 8.
6. Can bolts be removed without removing exhaust manifold?
a. Yes >>> Replace exhaust manifold bolts (2 only) torque to 25 Nm (18 Ft. Lbs.),
install heat shield, torque to 8 Nm (70 In. Lbs.).
b. No >>> Remove exhaust manifold remove and replace all bolts, replace exhaust
manifold gasket. Follow the detailed service procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/TechCONNECT, Refer To Group 9 - Engine > Manifolds >
Manifold, Exhaust, Installation procedures.
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation
No:
Description Amount
09-45-01-94 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 and 8 Replace
(B)
1.3 Hrs.
09-45-01-97 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 Replace /
Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 8 (B)
1.9 Hrs.
09-45-01-98 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 8 Replace /
Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolts Cylinder 7 (B)
1.9 Hrs.
09-45-01-99 Exhaust Manifold Bolts Broken Exhaust Manifold
Bolts Cylinder 7 and 8 (B)
2.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
ZZ Service Action
11-002-11 -2-

#5 ·
Other thing to keep in mind is that they may say bolts are not covered alot of times, If the bolts break off with part of it stuck out of the head, they will usually come out with your fingers or with small pliers. If they break off in the head they usually will come out rather easy, but some can be a pain.

#7 ·
i also had this same problem but i had no idea it would cost that much but i just recently within the last couple of weeks had them replaced under warranty as i had 2 broken off flush with the head and now no more ticking which im extremly happy about....so i hope it all works out for ya bud

#8 ·
thanks for the replies so far everyone. If you have not posted on this blog yet and you have this issue please say something about it. the more the merrier. whiteoffroad, thanks for posting the actual tsb, i forwarded that to the guy and cought him stupid. so much for him saying he could not figure anything out in his computer about it. the 2011 polls for vehicle dependability states that dodge, chrysler and jeep are the bottom three vehicles for this category which upsets me. its time they start fessing up and fix what they tried to save money on.

#11 ·
I took mine in for a recall (REPROGRAM HVAC CONTROL HEAD & INSP./REPL. ACTUATOR).
When I looked at the receipt, it had something about the bolt snapping off.
That appears to be worked under (RRT #11-017 5.7L ENGINE TICKING SOUND IN COLD TEMPS)
All was fixed, I didn't pay anything.

#14 ·
I had the tie rod ends done on my '09 before I left for Korea, wife has been driving it off and on and it now has the death wobble....so she took it back a couple days ago and they looked at the manifold bolts and replaced a couple of them....as far as I know they didn't charge her anything.

#17 ·
I bought my 09 SLT used (4K miles) and I just bought the extended warranty. At my 1st oil change, service manager asked if I heard ticking when the engine was cold. I told him I thought I did and he said I needed new exhaust manifold bolts. No charge, just had to order them and they called when the bolts came in, got my 1500 in that day and out in under 2 hrs. No muss, no fuss.

#18 ·
I had the ticking noise as well and when I took it in they told me there was an RRT and they fixed it under warranty. I had 2 bolts broken. Can't see how they won't cover it when they are the ones who issued the RRT.

#20 ·
You don't really have to worry about it unless you hear the ticking noise. If you hear it then you likely have broken bolts.

#22 ·
I have this issue now. My last oil change they mentioned it and ordered the bolts. No charge, on warranty. Leaky seal on my front diff as well. All no problem for the dealer.... They are treating me MUCH better than the last place, I guess I better make them happy and buy my next vehicle there.
It's all about the dealer

#24 ·
just noticed mine

i just checked a invoice i had from 2010 when i took it in for REPROGRAM HVAC CONTROL HEAD & INSP./REPL. ACTUATOR. And i noticed it had RRT 10-009 must be performed
4 6509544aa stud-double ended
9 6507746aa bolt-exhaust manifold
1 53032965af gasket-exhaust manifold
1 53032966af gasket-exhaust manifold

#27 ·
exhaust manifold problem

i bought a 09 dodge with a exhaust tick found out that it was the manifold being worped and i was told it had a 5year/100,000 mile warranty and i was going to get it fixed but after i took to the dealer to have it diagnost they said that warranty only will work with the original owner the guy i bought it from so i now have to pay 500 bucks out of my own pocket that was told to me it had warranty.. does anyone have ideas that might help me?

#28 ·
Finally decided to take mine in a couple of weeks ago. The lumbar motor in the driver's seat went out also... anyway, they kept it TWO DAYS and told me it was "not symptomatic" so they didn't bother to do anything with it. I asked him if they looked at it or anything and he just said, "No, it wasn't ticking... and you know, Hemi's have a tick anyway."

Grrrr...

So, I took it to another local dealer (not the one I purchased it from) and told them what it had been doing. They called me back a few hours later and said they were both broken and that my extended warranty would cover it.

Got a call from a survey company today regarding the "service I received" from the first dealership. How convenient... I think tomorrow I will call them back and let them know just how much of a waste of time it was.

#29 ·
Does the lifetime powertrain warranty cover just the original owner? I bought a 2009 crew cab SLT with the Hemi on 04/15/12. It only has 17,500 miles on it. Will I be covered if something goes bad?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.