DODGE RAM FORUM banner

All 09 Ram owners must read!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

140K views 244 replies 158 participants last post by  Airdog 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is a pretty important subject clearly because of how unhappy I am with dodge. Have owned 3 rams, my brother has had 4, even my sister owns a Dakota. The issue is on the 09 1500's, there is a pretty big issue with the exhaust manifold bolts. They have a issue with breaking off either at the head of the bolt or inside the motor. This is a problem with my truck and a problem with a friends truck (same as mine). I have seen many posts on this subject not only on this forum but a few others. My truck was in for a bad shift solenoid and they said i have 4 that are broken and i can tell cause i can hear the ticking. $800 dollars to replace all of them with the new style bolts. Dodge is aware of this issue because they have come out with a new style bolt to replace it. My powertrain warranty does not cover this part on my truck so im in a bit of hot water. I called dodge corp today and talked with someone about it and they say there is no "known issue" with this, even though every dealership has received a letter about this from dodge that if its a problem replace it, if not leave it alone. I have 4 dealerships that are on board with this that they will let dodge call them and tell them how many times they have seen this issue. WHAT I NEED FROM ALL OF YOU is if this is an issue with your own vehicle or someones vehicle that you know of, i need you to post up about it on this blog. I will be forwarding this blog to the tech at dodge corp to let him see how much of a problem this is. I refuse to pay 800 dollars out of my own pocket for a part they decided to go cheap on and is breaking yet for some reason they will not put a recall out about. If i can get enough support they will put it out as a recall and they can be replaced not only for me but for everyone else. PLEASE HELP EVERYONE!!!!:smileup:
The more support for this the closer to a solution we can receive.

See less See more
#100 ·
i have a tick/rattle only at WOT is an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold causing this? ive never thought much of it. i have an 09 5.7L with 50k miles. is this covered by the powertrain warranty?

#103 ·
yeah i started the engine yesterday with the hood open and i didnt hear any exhaust leak. i dont know what my issue is haha

#104 ·
Took my 2010 to the dealer today and they said it's normal!!! so I said then all of brand new truck without tick are not normal? Can I trade my normal truck to abnormal one then? That pissed them off, finally they gave up and willing to check it, couple hours after thaey called me and said that they couldn't get the bolt out so they need to replace the cylinder head???????

#111 ·
I have a 2010 trx with 116,000 on it and its been ticking when its cool,so i had it in last Monday for the rear end recall(the rear end was rebuilt twice already because of the nut coming off) and I had them take a look sure enough the right side has broken bolts and is leaking they wanted $380 to fix it I said no thanks,got home and called customer care explained the problem and told them about what iv been reading on the form and that im not the only one with this problem,they said they would see what they could do to help me!! Well they called back and said they would cover it all but $50 so it gos in this Monday to get fix.

#112 ·
Last week I had the ticking start on mine, passenger side of vehicle. Although I havent crawled in there yet to check it, I suspect its the bolt issue, per RRT-017. I called my dealer and they told me that if in fact it is this issue, then it would be covered by them, even if I am outside of my warranty.

It will be a couple weeks before I can actually get it in there but Ill post up with how It plays out.. It also needs to go in for the rear nut recall.

#113 · (Edited)
Well, contrary to what I said in my above post, my dealer is NOT going to cover any work under an RRT (or otherwise) for my manifold bolt issue. They essentially said it is out of any warranty and due to mileage (83K) it is out of the realm for them to do anything. Chrysler customer care said the same thing. Awesome..

Can anyone tell me where they were able to locate the Stainless bolts (P/N 06507746AA) called out in the RRT? I have located this part number online, but the images do not show a stainless bolt so I am hesitant to order them.

#114 ·
Few months back I had the tick start in the morning. Called the dealership to check up on it and sure enough it was the bolts, covered under lifetime powertrain warranty. I bought nothing in the way of extended warranty and repair was at 98k. Service repair says tech found exhaust gasket left and right were the cause of the broken bolts and replaced gaskets and all bolts.

#117 ·
This might sound like a dumb question, but what does the ticking sound like? Is it a very light tick or is it a really proounced TICKTICKTICK? Would I know if I had a problem if I heard it?

#120 · (Edited)
Sounds like someone is under the wheel well tapping on the frame with a steel rod, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit, tit...

I had the "Hemi Tick" when I started my truck in the morning. Went away after 30-40 secs. Talked to the dealership about it. They put it up on the rack and said I had 3 broken header bolts near the #8 cylinder. Scheduled an appointment, brought it back and 3 hours later I picked it up with a hand shake and a smile. All covered under Lifetime Power Train Warranty that came with the 2009 Rams. Too bad it doesn't stay with the truck for 2nd owners...

#118 ·
Tick tick

Well i think i might be affected by this , i noticed a small tick when i first start mt truck when its cold but i haven't had a chance to check it out fully . Since its been snowing like a son of a b~~~h here in Ontario Canada. Hopefully i can look into it a lot closer tomorrow after work.

#122 ·
Broken Bolts

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Here is a from the EPA's website. According to this document, under the
Emissions Warranties for 1995 and Newer Cars and Trucks

These components should be covered. I have already contacted Chrysler about this and they still say I have to pay to have the bolts and manifold replaced. Now that being said, i have an extended warranty on my 2009 Dodge as the lifetime warranty does not transfer. I HAD TO PAY $100 OUT OF POCKET. I believe Chrsler should be picking this up since the emissions warranty should be 8yr/80k miles. has anyone had success with this?

#123 ·
The Manifold is not covered.

here are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or
80,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) on 1995 and newer vehicles:
• Catalytic converters
• The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU)
• The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Here is a from the EPA's website. According to this document, under the
Emissions Warranties for 1995 and Newer Cars and Trucks

These components should be covered. I have already contacted Chrysler about this and they still say I have to pay to have the bolts and manifold replaced. Now that being said, i have an extended warranty on my 2009 Dodge as the lifetime warranty does not transfer. I HAD TO PAY $100 OUT OF POCKET. I believe Chrsler should be picking this up since the emissions warranty should be 8yr/80k miles. has anyone had success with this?

#125 ·
I have the same problem.
My dealer told me they had alot of cars that they changed on.
And it was always on the passenger side, the one at the back.
My problem is I live in Sweden, where theese cars dont sell.
All RAMS are private imports, therefor I dont think a recall would apply to me.
Another problem is that in Sweden everything is more expensive.
The dealer wants about $3125 to change a bolt.

#127 ·
Tick Tick

Well I called the dealer and asked if they would cover my broken exhaust studs under warranty and they said yes they would. So I took it in and to my surprise they changed all the studs and bolts on the right side as well as the manifold all under warranty. They then proceeded to tell me I only have 6 months warranty left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.