DODGE RAM FORUM banner

All 09 Ram owners must read!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

140K views 244 replies 158 participants last post by  Airdog 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is a pretty important subject clearly because of how unhappy I am with dodge. Have owned 3 rams, my brother has had 4, even my sister owns a Dakota. The issue is on the 09 1500's, there is a pretty big issue with the exhaust manifold bolts. They have a issue with breaking off either at the head of the bolt or inside the motor. This is a problem with my truck and a problem with a friends truck (same as mine). I have seen many posts on this subject not only on this forum but a few others. My truck was in for a bad shift solenoid and they said i have 4 that are broken and i can tell cause i can hear the ticking. $800 dollars to replace all of them with the new style bolts. Dodge is aware of this issue because they have come out with a new style bolt to replace it. My powertrain warranty does not cover this part on my truck so im in a bit of hot water. I called dodge corp today and talked with someone about it and they say there is no "known issue" with this, even though every dealership has received a letter about this from dodge that if its a problem replace it, if not leave it alone. I have 4 dealerships that are on board with this that they will let dodge call them and tell them how many times they have seen this issue. WHAT I NEED FROM ALL OF YOU is if this is an issue with your own vehicle or someones vehicle that you know of, i need you to post up about it on this blog. I will be forwarding this blog to the tech at dodge corp to let him see how much of a problem this is. I refuse to pay 800 dollars out of my own pocket for a part they decided to go cheap on and is breaking yet for some reason they will not put a recall out about. If i can get enough support they will put it out as a recall and they can be replaced not only for me but for everyone else. PLEASE HELP EVERYONE!!!!:smileup:
The more support for this the closer to a solution we can receive.

See less See more
#129 · (Edited)
Just wanted to bring this issue back up for all those that have this problem I heard the ticking noise and being a mechanic myself I knew what the noise is. My truck has about 50k on it. So I made the appointment to get the pinion nut recall done and told them about the noise. Dropped the truck off overnight and at about 5 o'clock the next day they called me and told me the truck was done. When I asked what they did, they said they did the recall and found broken bolts on the manifold. They said they took the manifold off, removed the broken bolts and reinstalled manifold with new gaskets. All of this was covered under warranty of some kind. I have only brought the truck there for warranty issues. They are still covering this problem. So all of those of you that have to fight with the dealership this might shed some light on the subject that not all dealerships are stealing, but some definitely are.

#130 ·
First I'd like to say that my dealer has always treated me exceptionally well. That said I purchased my vehicle March 5 2009 so my inspection is due now. I heard that we have a 60 day grace period to get it done. In the mean time I'm sure my 7 and 8 exhaust bolts just broke because I can hear the ticking from the leak on cold start ups. Yesterday I called my dealer and talked to someone who at first played stupid about the 5 yr inspection. Then I proceeded to tell him that my exhaust bolts are broke and I could swear that I had them changed out already and asked him to check. Lo and behold this guy (Brady) said he didn't see where it was done on the computer. I said well it WAS done and I'd like to know how they could break again if they changed them out with the new stainless bolts....he was like da da da? They do replace them with stainless exhaust bolts right....so I was told? After complaining about the bolts he then acknowledged knowing about the 5 yr inspection and said I had to bring it in asap before the 5 yr anniversary date or my warranty will be voided....I said oh you remember now? I then asked if he knew if there was a grace period and he said he had no knowledge of it. Well guess what, today I get home and there is a powertrain inspection postcard in my mail box and it clearly says that this a free offer and it will expire on May 3...two days before I purchased the truck so now I'm ticked. So to add fuel to the fire I dug up my maintenance records and found out that they DID in fact change them out on 01/31/11 with 20572 miles on my truck at the time. And they say they changed 4 of them...doesn't say which ones on the receipt. Says RRT 10-009 QTY 4 FP # 6509544-AA...description Stud Doub 9004007. So now I'm going to have to get all of my maintenance records in order by date and go dispute this. I have a good mind to go to another dealer and get their buts in trouble for not fixing something they claimed they fixed. And I may go to a friends shop and have him write a repair order on the broken exhaust in case they try to hide the facts or give me trouble about it. Question before I make a fool of myself, can these bolts break again and do they replace them with stainless bolts? EDIT: I have 66k miles on my truck

#131 ·
Please disregard the lifetime drivetrain warranty issue. I was thrown off by the dates 3/5 vs 5/3 inspection expiration date. That is clearly showing that I have a 60 day grace period after my purchase date...sorry guys. Thanks goes to Pedro Dog if you ever pass through here for bringing it to my attention.

#132 ·
I'm having the same issue, local dealer stated that he knew nothing of this issue. He did quote me 2500.00! I stated are you kidding "for two bolts"! Local shop is concerned about breaking the bolts off in the head and turning this into a big mess. Its very embarrassing to drive this beautiful truck sounding like a hunk of junk! I'm very thankful for this forum. I will return to the dealership with paperwork in hand and see what he states now!

#133 ·
I had my bolts fixed at around 25,000 miles at no charge because it was covered for 3 reasons. 3/36,000-It's a TSB- It's covered under the powertrain warranty. I now have 79,000 and it did it again. Took it in this morning and they fixed again no charge because it is a TSB and it's covered under my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. If they are telling you it will cost you then your vehicle must not fall in any of the requirements for the TSB/Recall to apply. You can run the vin online and there is a list of all the TSB's and Recalls on your vehicle up to this point. I took my Ram in one time and the dealer did some TSB's on the truck that I didn't even know were out. Also, Some TSB's/Recalls are INSPECT and Reapir if needed and some are Repair/Replace no matter if the condition is there or not. They replaced my tie rods whether they were bad or not.

#136 ·
So I bought my 2009 RAM 1500 about 2 years ago for a great deal at a local Nissan dealership in the Phoenix area. Although I got a great truck for a great price( 5.7 HEMI all the options except 4X4 and heated seats and the truck only had 22K miles on it) they sold me on an extended protection plan through them with MPP and I thought it was a good deal incase anything goes out on the truck. Lets be honest with new trucks now a days its hard leaving a mechanic for less then $400 bucks if anything goes out. So I too have recently had the ticking/exhaust leak. Since I'm the 2nd owner I don't have the power train warranty and this POS warranty company will not cover the work because its the Manifolds that are covered not the bolts and gaskets...:mad: . My local Dodge dealerships will not cover it either because even though they have designed new bolts for the exhaust manifolds dodge won't call it a "recall". So I have decided to just spend the extra couple hundred and just go for a shorty headers if they have to come off anyway. This is my .02 on the issue.

#137 · (Edited)
Just took mine to dealer here in Texarkana and was charged 600 dollars to replace the bolts. They knew about the issue and actually stated " we have reapaired many of these" . Dealer would not accept my argument that this was ridiculous to charge me for an issue that is a known problem. They were very pleased to accept my money however.
To top things off , when I picked up my truck ,the mechanic had left my steering linkage loose . I mean the bolt that tightens the steering column to the linkage was about to fall out and very noticeable as I had 2 inches worth of slop in the steering. I tightened the bolt myself then called them. They came and and looked at it and said it was fine and actually made my wife and I feel as if we were being deceitful .
All I can say is I will never take any of my cars to the Texarkana dealership again nor buy anything from them ever again.

#138 ·
Exhaust Bolts

I have 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 and just in the last week i noticed a loud ticking noise from under the passengers side of the truck when i first start it up when engine is cold. thought it might be in the valve train but it quiets down after 20 - 30 seconds when the engine starts to warm up. after reading this forum and finding out how many 5.7 Hemis have this problem with broken Exhaust bolts, and Chrysler knew about this issue, that they would replace the bolts for no charge. how many other parts that are defective and they;re not telling the consumer are out there. my god, one has to wonder. Chrysler should step up and take care of this issue by even meeting the customers halfway if not the total bill, to fix this. we're all not made of money like Chrysler thinks we the owner of these trucks are.

#139 ·
I have 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 and just in the last week i noticed a loud ticking noise from under the passengers side of the truck when i first start it up when engine is cold. thought it might be in the valve train but it quiets down after 20 - 30 seconds when the engine starts to warm up. after reading this forum and finding out how many 5.7 Hemis have this problem with broken Exhaust bolts, and Chrysler knew about this issue, that they would replace the bolts for no charge. how many other parts that are defective and they;re not telling the consumer are out there. my god, one has to wonder. Chrysler should step up and take care of this issue by even meeting the customers halfway if not the total bill, to fix this. we're all not made of money like Chrysler thinks we the owner of these trucks are.
This is the same situation I have, passenger ticks when cold then goes away as it warms up, it must be a small enough gap that the metal expands an closes the gap when warm

#140 ·
Ditto on this although I had heard of people putting new headers on the truck and the sound is still there.

#143 ·
I have always read this forum but never joined but I saw this and joined. I have the lifetime powertrain warranty on mine and took it in about 7 months ago for this (52,000 miles). They wanted to charge me. After a battle with the service manager he told Dodge that my exhaust manifold gasket was damaged by the leak and the bolts had to be removed anyways to get to the gasket. So if you run into this problem tell them your exhaust manifold gasket is leaking. The gasket is covered.

#146 ·
Both manifolds on my truck were done LUCKILY under warranty and both times the mobile machining service was called in to extract the broken bolts from the head which made me extremely nervous. Theres no doubt in my mind this should have been a recall but what do I know. I couldn't even tell you if they replaced ALL the bolts with the updated ones or just the broken ones. Sure wish I had asked at the time..

#150 · (Edited)
I've got an 07 ram 1500 4.7L. I have the tick on start up. it not being a 5.7L, The bolt near cylinder 8 is broken off completely, haven't had time to check it out. pretty sure driver side is also because every morning I have water dripping out on both driver and passenger side near the front of my running boards. Just fixed the valve cover gaskets. Now about to replace all exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets. Thanks Chrysler. xxlxx

#153 ·
Regardless of warranty this should be recalled. Everyone I know with a Ram 1500 Hemi between 09-12 has had this issue. Its just one of those issues that these trucks have. My 09 sport quad cab has been back twice for the same thing. Still clicks away when cold and isn't under warranty anymore. I'm sure Canadian cold climate doesn't help but that's no excuse...

Funny, because my old man was a Chevy guy his whole life and turned his back on GM when that POS 6.0L had the exact same problem with no recall. He's not gonna be too happy to find his Long Horn has same repeating issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.