DODGE RAM FORUM banner

All 09 Ram owners must read!! VERY IMPORTANT!!

140K views 244 replies 158 participants last post by  Airdog 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is a pretty important subject clearly because of how unhappy I am with dodge. Have owned 3 rams, my brother has had 4, even my sister owns a Dakota. The issue is on the 09 1500's, there is a pretty big issue with the exhaust manifold bolts. They have a issue with breaking off either at the head of the bolt or inside the motor. This is a problem with my truck and a problem with a friends truck (same as mine). I have seen many posts on this subject not only on this forum but a few others. My truck was in for a bad shift solenoid and they said i have 4 that are broken and i can tell cause i can hear the ticking. $800 dollars to replace all of them with the new style bolts. Dodge is aware of this issue because they have come out with a new style bolt to replace it. My powertrain warranty does not cover this part on my truck so im in a bit of hot water. I called dodge corp today and talked with someone about it and they say there is no "known issue" with this, even though every dealership has received a letter about this from dodge that if its a problem replace it, if not leave it alone. I have 4 dealerships that are on board with this that they will let dodge call them and tell them how many times they have seen this issue. WHAT I NEED FROM ALL OF YOU is if this is an issue with your own vehicle or someones vehicle that you know of, i need you to post up about it on this blog. I will be forwarding this blog to the tech at dodge corp to let him see how much of a problem this is. I refuse to pay 800 dollars out of my own pocket for a part they decided to go cheap on and is breaking yet for some reason they will not put a recall out about. If i can get enough support they will put it out as a recall and they can be replaced not only for me but for everyone else. PLEASE HELP EVERYONE!!!!:smileup:
The more support for this the closer to a solution we can receive.

See less See more
#224 · (Edited)
Dodge said no to manifold bolts

I had the same problem, took mine to dealership and had them replace them but no coverage.
Hello Greg, I have thoroughly reviewed your concerns; the manifold bolts are not covered under the powertrain warranty, they are a basic component. We would not be able to cover any costs associated to the repair, due to your vehicle being so far outside the basic manufactures warranty. You can be assured your comments about needing the repair have been documented in our corporate records where they will be reviewed internally. If there is anything further I can look into for you please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Sincerely, Katelynn
Customer Service Representative RAM Customer Assistance Center For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the following information:
REFERENCE NUMBER: 33314357 EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 3587862

#227 ·
Sorry to bring this dead horse back up but getting ready to tackle mine. I only see the Dorman's in stock in many online searches. So far I've read one person saying they've put them on customer vehicles with no returns. Any further need to plane the Dorman's down or do they come already fairly straight? I can not afford much down time to have manifolds sent out. So I was thinking of biting the bullet and ordering new manifolds. I would like shorties but at this point, I'd just like to get it sounding not like an old Chevy.

#228 ·
Any manifold is going to start out flat, the issue is they warp from heat cycles. Once they have warped they are supposed to be settled and not warp more, which is why planing fixes it

#229 ·
Well this happened on my 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 Heavy Duty 5.7 Hemi also. I heard the ticking from the passenger side and found 2 bolts broken. One broke at the head and the other flush to the engine. What a pain to remove. The bolt that broke at the head was removed with heat, lube and force. There was no room to really get on this. But it finally broke loose and I was able to get it out. The other bolt that was broken, i had to drill it out. I decided to leave it because there was no way I could get a drill on that. The frame was in the way. After I got new bolts and put every thing back together, i decided to look at the drivers side. No ticking sound, after shaking the heat sheald i noticed there is a broken bolt on the top set of bolt for the cylinder closest to the exhaust. I dont think the lower one is broken. I am going to attack the driver side this next week. So disappointed in how this was made and the lack of responsability that dodge has on this issue. What makes this worse is the 2009 have the shock mount right in the way. So difficult to get to the bolts. The videos of others replacing the bolts shows wide open access. I need to buy another truck, i will not buy a 2009 again. I recommend everyone to stay away from the 2009.

#231 ·
This is a problem with many years including the 2009. Anytime you have aluminum heads and cast iron exhaust manifolds and steel bolts you will run into this. Aluminum heats up and cools much faster than cast iron and steel so you constantly have three different metals expanding and contracting at different rates. This causes undo stress on the bolts. I do think that Chrysler has changed something in how the bolts are manufactured whether it be how they are made or how they attach. I had my right side changed twice and the driver's side once and haven't had any problems for a couple years so far. It's the nature of the beast. The newer Dodges don't seem to have as much failure.

#232 ·
I'm on my 4th set of bolts as I'm the original owner. Luckily, my lifetime powertrain warranty covers it every time. The last time, the dealership cracked the head while changing them and had to replace the head too.

#237 ·
So, I just called my Dodge dealership and gave them the information that you shared with me (Thank you) they still are telling me that the bolts won't be covered for my truck. It's definitely the same bolts that broke, so I'm not understanding why there aren't covered for the lifetime warranty. I was told all warranties expired in 2018. Ugh...

#238 ·
Then I would contact Ram Customer Service or whatever it is....I've seen them post in threads off and on. Or call another dealership to get information and tell the local one to KMA.

#243 ·
Hi there, I had it done by my dealer on my 2009 at 140,000 km (80,000 miles). it cost me $1,200+. I now have 180,000 (110,000 miles) and it needs to be done again. this time they quoted me over $1,600 as now they are saying to also replace the manifolds. Chrysler now owned by Fiat. Fiat is just turning a blind eye to the problem that they know exists. It's one thing for the ticking noise but the main issue is the exhaust odor coming into the cab when the vehicle is stopped or stationary,

#244 ·
I just bought my 08 doge ram 1500 5.7L HEMI from a private seller I do have a slight tick I didn’t think anything of it until I seen this thread would I clearly see anything from underneath to show that’s the origin of the noise? Also all the warranty talk is frim the dealership at which the truck was bought or can I use it to my advantage still being bought from private party and get the faulty parts replaced little to no charge ?

#245 ·
The dreaded "Hemi tick" is a well known issue. I had the #7 and #8 exhaust manifold bolts replaced twice since purchasing the truck new in 2009. The second time it was done the mechanic at the stealership broke a drill bit off in the head while removing the broken bolt stem. My truck was down for over a week while they got a new head in the replace the damaged one. They also replaced the exhaust manifold at that time and its been good to go for over 6 years now. If you don't have the manifold planed or replaced you will likey continue to pop bolts.
Best part is that all of it was covered under the 2009 Ram Lifetime Warranty...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.