DODGE RAM FORUM banner

20 inch vs 18 inch

17K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  sk8noregon 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of getting 20 inch black Rockstar rims for my 1500 4x4, and throwing some 35's on there after I get a leveling kit. However, lately I'm rethinking it, feeling that the 20's may be too much rim. What do you guys think about going with 18's vs 20's ? I'm having a bit of trouble finding decent pictures for comparison of the two.

#3 ·
You'll find a better selection of available tires if you stay with the 18s.
The 18s are likely to be less expensive as well.

When you're talking 35s on a 20 inch rim, then you're not going to get much of an increase in ride height.... I've got the stock 20s on my truck, and the outter tire diameter is about 32 inches already (might be 31 inches and change can't remember exactly what the measurement was that I took after getting the truck).

Personally I'd stick with the 18s for the reasons stated above, but it's your truck so have fun and go with what you like

Exco

#4 ·
For me personally, anything smaller than a 37 and a 20" rim is too much. Plus, like has been said, 18" tires will be cheaper.

#5 ·
I also think it depends of the rim. I have XD monsters and they are 18's with 35's. I kept my stock 20 wheels that have 285/65/20 tires on them for winter. Some people say that if it is a deep dish style wheel that going down in wheel size to 18 will look too small. I was considering going with Fuel hostage or XD spy's but guy that did my tires/wheels was concerned that because those wheels might look to small? He said the XD monsers wouldn't look to small in 18 inch because they are a different style? Anyway, wheels are tough to pick. I was worried that I wouldn't like the wheels I picked but once they were on the truck I really liked them. Here is a photo

Attachments

#8 ·
rims

Yea, I'm worried about the ratio, I'd rather not go for the lo-pro look, I think I can fit the 35's with a leveling kit because it was slightly lifted when I bought it, but if not I wouldn't mind getting another 2-3" lift on it. Here's a picture (still a work in progress). Those are the stock 20's on it now, with what I think falls juuuuust short of 33's.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.