DODGE RAM FORUM banner

inconsistant loss of HP

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  crazzywolfie 
#1 ·
I bought a 89' ram150 about 4 months ago. its equipped with a 318 TBI, and I am not unfamiliar with this engine because I've owned five before this one but none of them have given me the problems I am having now

Symptoms:
loss of power
excessive fuel consumption
anything more than half throttle and it misses, sputters, RPM jumps constantly, and anything more than 30MPH is impossible as for any kind of uphill grade
stalls when you stop or slow down

I've tried a new throttle positioning sensor (its currently new) and ive tried a alternate map sensor from my scrap pile but I don't know if its good or not.

and just to complicate the problem it only does this every now and then and does this without warning and whether its hot or cold does not matter

#2 ·
Free bumppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

#5 ·
not the converter its fairly new and yes ive checked codes ...it gives a map sensor code a clutch relay code (which it doesn't have but it shifts fine) and still a throttle position sensor code (even though it is new). one day when it was acting like this I just simply pulled over and quickly turned the key off then back on, and for about 15 miles it ran like new but then quickly started not taking fuel, misfiring at anything past half throttle but as long as your giving it about 1/4 throttle you cant tell it....also fuel economy is HORRIBLE when its like that

#10 ·
alright today I swapped the PCM out just to trouble shoot to see if that changed anything and all that I noticed was that now it seems sort of sluggish for some reason. but the only codes it reads now are 12,37 torque converter clutch solenoid circuit (which it does not even have a solenoid), and 21 problem with oxygen sensor signal circuit. sensor voltage to computer not fluctuating... so I will re-swap the computers tomorrow and see if it shows different but for some reason I've got in the back of my mind that it is the vehicle speed sensor idk why

#11 ·
i don't think the speed sensor should be causing the problems you are describing. if anything a bad speed sensor would prevent the speedo, overdrive or cruise control from working. if you got a spare ignition pickup for a 88-92 dodge ram then i would try swapping it. the symptoms you are describing seem very similar to one going bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.