DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Feel of the Vararam Air Grabber

10K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  HOTRODHARLEY 
#1 ·
Anyone not notice a difference after installing the air grabber? I dont seem to be noticing any poer difference and my engine even seems to be running a few degrees hotter?

I did have meineke install a muffler that t hey screwed me on and im having a magnaflow y pipe and mag 18" muffler and all the 2.5" pipe changed back to the stock 3" after meineke hacked it out. Im hoping this will open everything up and the vararam will come alive.

It gets such great reviews, im just not seeing anything right now? Do those fins behind the 2013 grill block the air?

#3 ·
Im still deciding on a CIA. Im between the vararam and s&b. But my opinion on your experience with it is that it should have still showed inprovement regardless of the exhaust change. Fast is right the most gains or feel will be at 3/4 to WOT. Have you tried that? Get back and thanks for review

#5 ·
as stated above most all CAI's including the air grabber you will notice the most improvement at WOT, I don't think the muffler should affect it much, and as fast said the air grabber has proven track time and dynos, have you tried WOT yet?

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

#15 ·
thought the trucks came stock with 2.5'' or 21/4 not 3'' i replaced all mine and no way in hell it was 3''
I believe his shop replaced the 3" section of pipe in front of the muffler with 2.5" pipe.. at least that's what it sounded like to me. You are correct, after the muffler is 2 1/4" pipe.
Judging by the results of his update with the new Maggy parts, that really sounds like what happened.

#14 ·
Just an update, I had a local custom shop rip out what Meineike had done and replace all the factory 3" stainless pipe and remove the knock off muffler. They welded in the magnaflow y pipe and magnaflow 18" muffler.

Night and Day difference! Now all that air being sucked in has a place to escape. I really feel a more responsive throttle now. My truck is now running 15-20 degrees cooler under normal driving.

I plan on getting a tuner once they start releasing them for the 2013's and go from there.

#17 ·
You are correct. They cut out a couple of feet of the 3" pipe before the muffler. It really took the power from my truck, everything felt sluggish. I did my Vararam within and hour of the exhaust so I was trying to figure out if it was me or the truck. Now that everything is opened backup in the exhaust, especially the Y-pipe, the truck just moves so much better. Throttle response is better and truck just wants to go....

#20 ·
On topic question.

Would there be any difference at all if you were to put 3" from the muffler back since it's such a small portion at the end of the exaust and are those resonators restrictive before the tail pipes?

#21 ·
dual 3" pipes would kill your power. A single 3" pipe would be fine. You don't need a full 3" dual exhaust unless you are running a 500+hp big block or running boost. It's dyno proven that high boost aps need larger diameter exhaust. I've seen 4 cylinders with turbos running 3 1/2 to 4 inch piping making around 400 hp and tq to the wheels.
As for the resonators, they are not restrictive. You will see no gains from removing them. They just help minimize drone, thats it.

#22 ·
I meant 3" from the muffler back. Not the manifolds.

I wouldn't expect any gains, my main concerns were the resonators or whatever I could guess they were at the time being more restrictive emissions junk. I'm sure 3" after the muffler would change the tone a bit though.

#23 ·
Dual 3" will not as you say... "kill power"

Just look at the early SRT8 cars. They were 420HP and the majority of aftermarket systems were full 3" dual exhaust.

I myself had an SRT8 300 for a number of years and I built a 3"/3.5" system and knocked off a couple tenths at the track.

Our trucks are pushing 400HP and with mods easily 425HP or more. So full 3" isn't the worst idea ever. Non mandrel exhaust shop 2.5" duals would be a bad bad bad idea..!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.