DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil pressure question

4K views 21 replies 3 participants last post by  ramvan2500 
#1 ·
Greetings friends,
I took my van in because the oil pressure guage was dropping to "0" then jumping back up to normal at stop lights and when idling.
The mechanic removed the light indicator wires from the "sending unit?" then he removed the unit and screwed in a pressure guage and said that he thought the pressure was low.
He wondered if there was another place to check the pressure. He looked but didn't find anything. I told him about the ForumZ and he said to ask if there was another place to check the oil pressure other than the one at the back of the motor (the one with the wires that go to the guage)

He changed the oil with 20W50 and the needle on the guage doesn't do that anymore....so far. I drove it for about 50 miles after I left the shop but I am not comfortable with that fix. I prefer to use 10W30 which I have used for years.
Does anyone know of another place to check oil pressure other than the one that I described.
I much appreciate any suggestions.
Best Regards,
Wolfwasp

#2 · (Edited)
The only place to check oil pressure is to remove that sending unit thats it. THe sending unit is located next to the distributor on the right side of the rear of the engine.

Anyways if you are reading low oil pressure you may want to have the oil pump replaced, you can get a upgraded one which has 25% more flow.

Take some pics of the van, I have a conversion van too. I have a 95 and had a 02 or 03 I forgot.

#4 ·
Thank you ramvan2500. I will print this out and take with me. I'm going in today for brakes and the continuing saga of the oil pressure guage.
I will take some pictures of my van soon.
Would love to find out about your 2500 series too.
Thanks again.

#5 ·
It's not a problem. Whenever you need help have questions about your van ask me. I do all my own work on my van. I just done a load of work to get it working after it was sitting for 5 years. A brake job was one of the things I did to my van but I replaced alot, calipers, pads, hardware, wheel cylinders, rear brake hose, rear brake lines, and just a ton load of more work. But yea any questions you got about my van just ask. I have pics up on a thread I started after I did a compound and wax treatment.

#6 ·
Mileage is 196K. I bought it at 150K and have been doing everything the last guy should have. But I don't mind. It was in good shape cosmetically and it is a project/hobby for me. (Kind of expen$$$ive tho....)
I had the heads replaced because it wouldn't pass SMOG and there were only 2 valves that looked suspect. And it still wouldn't pass SMOG. Turned out it was a faulty coil sending crazy and different messages to the computer. It has been a lot of fun fixing it up since the coil was replaced.
We moved to California a few years ago and I am about 30 minutes from Napa and the same to SF, so when people come to visit I become the chauffeur / wine country guide / designated driver / butler / etc. etc. I really enjoy it.
It is a great way for 4-6 people to get around California.
I will definitely take some pictures from now on.

#7 · (Edited)
Hehe, I wonder who ripped you off with the heads because changing heads wouldn't make two hoots and a fig with inspection. If you changed the Catalytic you would do much better but the dodge vans that have a EGR valve will always have a high NoX reading. Having the heads replaced was still good but it would of been the same as if you did a valve job which would of cost you 100+ bucks only because you would have to replace gaskets. Anyways though if your ever in florida just give me a hollar and bring the van by and I'll fix it for you for free minus parts of course. Anyways, I'm lucky I don't have inspection where I live but I still have to replace my muffler and cat soon. My muffler is ready to split down the middle but for 16 years it is going to happen.

Anyways with your low oil pressure I am quite sure your pump is the issue, I thought for a second maybe his bearings are done with but I'm thinking only 196K miles I've seen vans with over 300K with the original bearings that and the van would make some horrible sounds.

It's going to be the driver as long as they tip you lol.

#9 ·
You're welcome, any time. You're right about the conversion van ally thing. Hard to find conversion parts but vans parts easy etc... I do all my own work even with the interior so if something breaks I have to make it myself, especially since the company who converted my van went out of business years ago.

#10 ·
I hear ya, the guys that did mine went out of business too. I'm looking for matching window blinds. I'm missing a couple for the small windows. I found a place in San Fran but their prices are crazy.
I had to leave the van at the shop yesterday. The brakes were no problem but the tie rod ends are loose so I figured I better get that done. Should be ready today, but now I need an alignment. Never ends.
I am waiting till this stuff is done then I am blasting off for Canada. I have a cabin up there. Its for sale but the market is not great so I will probably stay till Fall. Fishing is good tho. 2400 miles door to door. Come on up if you want to take that van for a good long spin.
I have satellite internet up there so I will be online again.

Attachments

#12 ·
Great! Thank you. I will get some pics of those window blinds. I think I can take one of the small ones off the side doors and and put it on the back door (or vice versa)and they will match. Then I will need 2 the same for either the back or the side doors. Hmmm....I think I will take them off the back door as there is also a big one on the side. They will all match. Then I can do the back because when you are looking at the back you cant see the sides. Ok, got that figured out.
I picked up the van and rushed it over to the alignment guys before 5. They parked it inside for the nite and will align it in the morning. Then I have to pick up my wife and a couple of her friends and take them to Napa / Sonoma. Wine tasting. I am the DD. There will be cameras so I will take some pics and upload them when I get back.

#13 ·
It's no problem, I know some of the companies who make them. It's a shame regency went out of business. Wasn't even that long ago, mines a Sherry Design Van. I had done a ton of wood work inside and had to replace my window which took years to find but I had gotten one, the problem was the company who custom made my window went out of business (everyone going out of business???) so I had to find one from another Sherry Van but Sherry Only made less then I think 20-100 Vans I am unsure exactly how many but not many I can promise that.

You should take pics of the inside of your van one time, I have pictures of the inside of mine on a thread I started http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=83176

#14 ·
Got Pics

Hi ramvan2500,
I got some pics of the blinds but no measurements yet. I have to take off for Canada in the next day or so and I might not be able to get them. I will try.
It seems the conversion guys are having trouble staying alive in this economy. Too bad.
It is so nice to have smooth powerful brakes! and I can feel the new tie rods. Nice tight steering.
It's hard to believe that a tiny bit of slack in the tie rods and ball joints will make the steering so sloppy. It didn't look like there was much movement in them, but I guess it doesn't take much.
I may be offline for a while but I will check in again when I get set up at the cabin in Canada. I have a satellite internet connection up there.
Take care and have a good summer. Looks like it may be a hot one.

Attachments

#15 ·
Hi ramvan2500,
I got some pics of the blinds but no measurements yet. I have to take off for Canada in the next day or so and I might not be able to get them. I will try.
It seems the conversion guys are having trouble staying alive in this economy. Too bad.
It is so nice to have smooth powerful brakes! and I can feel the new tie rods. Nice tight steering.
It's hard to believe that a tiny bit of slack in the tie rods and ball joints will make the steering so sloppy. It didn't look like there was much movement in them, but I guess it doesn't take much.
I may be offline for a while but I will check in again when I get set up at the cabin in Canada. I have a satellite internet connection up there.
Take care and have a good summer. Looks like it may be a hot one.
Very nice conversion van! I had a dodge van with those same exact blinds. They're pretty easy to get at high price but at low price they're difficult but I will do my best. Indeed a shame they're going out of business but rest assured that if the economy ever is back to what it once was years ago then conversion companies may well begin opening up. But what cannot be found can always be made!

Anyways I hope you have an excellent summer up in your cabin, I think you're very lucky to have a cabin up in BC. It is indeed getting hot down here, been around 90F. I have the measurements for the blinds for those side doors those are a standard size, it's the larger windows that would only need measurements because those windows are typically custom made by or for the conversion company and since they usually are then the window size will differ van to van. But I will start hunting down blinds for the side door since that is the only measurement I am sure of at this time.

Anyways, Enjoy your summer up in beautiful BC. Hope to hear from you soon :)

#17 ·
It might be your oil pump it might not be, best bet is to start from using a mechanical gauge to rule out actual oil pressure loss, sometimes it's the sending unit sometimes the gauge it self. You can get a little oil pressure tester from Harbor Freight for like 15 bucks, my local HF has them for 3.97 each with a case and all not bad :)

I will check into a TSB for your truck to rule out any known oil pressure loss problems that can be associated with the pump, their have been some TSB's but got to check, like in the other thread do a seafoam threatment to clean up the internals a little, helps with the oil galleys.

#19 ·
thanks alot for the tip! I will def try that, hopefully I can finally fix the nuscince of a problem :wow:also while talking to someone so familiar on engine maintnance, which oil thickness do you think would be proper to run on my 155,000 mile 5.2? Thanks alot! :smiley_thumbs_up:

#20 ·
Well I am at 123K miles and I run Valvoline 10W30 and have oil pressure cold at 80 PSI, but it differs from the user so for you I would just bump up to W40 which would be typical from any mechanic. So yea either 5W40 or 10W40 would be fine. As another TIP I like Fram but stay away from them because they do leak a little at least for me I have experienced this problem, so just pull down for 6 bucks and buy a genuine Mopar filter. You can get them at the local advanced auto parts store. Always put some oil in the filter and finger some oil on the oil filter gasket before installing.

I run 30 Grade because their hasn't been much wear on my engine and it's pretty much spotless clean and the mileage is highway mileage so their hasn't been to much wear on the rod bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.