DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil Pan replacement advise?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Wolfwasp 
#1 ·
After the U joint project, I am up for the next item on my list. Oil Pan.

2004 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi

I will be replacing the oil plan for my truck soon. Any tips from you pros out there? I have heard/read that you may need t loosen the engine mount and jack the engine up slightly? Is that necessary?

I live in Boston and the oil pan is rusty from the snow and salt. My biggest concern for this job is breaking the bolts. I have already purchased a set of new bolts from the dealer for $11. Purchased OEM oil pan and gasket. I will be spraying a rubberize coating on the new pan before installing.

Any tips and advises will be greatly appreciated. And I will post photo write-up for this too when I work on it.

Many thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would hit all the bolts with a good amount of Liquid Wrench or equivelant and let it soak in for a few days. If they look real bad maybe even hit 'em again after a day or so.

Hopefully they aren't too bad b/c I don't think those bolts get torqued down all that hard. But hey, when you are talking rusty bolts you never know. Can't help you with the actual replacement as I've haven't done one of those.

#3 ·
Hi, I am definitely not a mechanic but I did help a friend who thought he was going to replace his oil pan. It was a long time ago but we got the bolts off and immediately realized the pan wasn't coming out.
As I said, it was a long time ago, and I hope they changed the design since then, but I would suggest finding out FOR SURE before you start. Best of Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.