DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Poor MPG in 2012 Ram 1500

61K views 43 replies 39 participants last post by  Todd157k 
#1 ·
Hi, new to forum, but had a question on MPG. I recently purchased a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 3:92 and 5.7 HEMI. I have a 60-40 mixed highway/city driving (about 20 miles/day) but haven't been able to crack 13.5 mpg. Recent 350 mile round trip only averaged 14.4 at about 70 miles per hour. I am pretty easy on the throttle (unlike my leadfoot wife!). Not sure if I just need to break it in, cold winter weather, or E10 fuel that could be impacting it. We live in Iowa so it is generally pretty flat. This isn't my first truck so I wasn't expecting outstanding, but just a little disappointed. I have seen a lot of posts with much better fuel economy numbers. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
For what it is worth....Both my 2003 Hemi and my 2007 Hemi got about 15-17 mpg. Both had 20 inch tires and 3.92 rear ends. When I switched from regular 78 octane fuel to 89 octane 10% ethanol, my mileage dropped 1-2 mpg. I never had a problem with regular 87 octane fuel in either vehicle. But then you Iowegians have to use up your corn. :D

Tom

#3 ·
Welcome to the forumZ.Lots of great people and info here.....:smileup::smileup::smileup:...Rob
I find the temperature ,and winter fuel makes a difference in MPG.I've lost about 2.5 Mpg,getting 17.5 Mpg in the cold weather was around 20mpg . I try and avoid the E10 gas,and run 89 oct seems to help some.

#4 ·
Something doesn't sound right! I would take it to the dealer and have some dianostics done on it. I have a 2012 Ram with close to 4,000 miles and I just took a trip from Dayton, Oh to Toledo and got 20.3 MPG on the way up. I will note nothing over 70 MPH and most around 65 MPH with some use of cruise. Your MPG numbers sound more like my city driving only. Mine does very well on the highway for a truck this big.

#7 · (Edited)
To get 15.1 MPG on my new 12 RAM, I have to easy on the throttle big time. My last truck did not get better MPG till was around 12.000 miles.

NEW TRUCK

OLD TRUCK

#8 ·
Hey dude I just bought the same truck, Deep Cherry Laramie with 3.92's crew 4X4. I also am getting poor mileage right now, even less than you as mostly city driving. I'm averaging about 11.5 mpg with a light foot! But I've only had it for 2 weeks, 750 miles on it. From what I've read I have faith mileage improves once its been driven a few thousand miles. I figure 15mpg or so in the city and 19-20mpg hwy.

#9 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the updates! Just curious. This is my 4th HEMI (2 Grand Cherokee's and a 300) and the first one I haven't been meeting/beating the EPA estimates. Not my first truck, but first RAM so thought I would check. So far I love everything else about the truck!

#11 ·
How much are you using the remote start? I know when I use mine it kills my mileage, I now have gotten into the habit of starting it as I walk out to it (to activate the heated steering wheel and seat), this seems to have helped a lot. You can also reduce your speed a little, that will help especially in Iowa where it always seems to be windy. This is the fourth ram I have owned from new, second hemi powered ram( I also had a daytona charger with a hemi) and I can tell you that the hemi does seem to take a while to break in and they do get better over time. The best thing you can do though is, NEVER let the wife drive it, wives are WORST mileage killers!!!

#12 ·
I don't understand this problem either. I took my truck in at around 1500 miles because of the poor mileage (12.5 city), and they replaced the TC (because it was starting to make noise) and they did the driveability update. i just filled up about 30 min ago and did the math. 10.8 mpg. It runs great and i drive it like an old lady. Ive used top tier 89 octane since day 1. So i don't understand this problem some of us have. I dont buy the "it will get better with miles" theory because a week after I got it i took it in so they could replace the back bumper that got dented on the lot before i got it and they gave me a loaner that got 19 hwy and 14.5 city. And it only had like 50 miles on it.

#13 ·
What I can't figure out is with the variety of trucks I've owned why the newest most technically advanced truck who even shuts down to a 4 cylinder gets the same or worse mpgs than all the rest. Even my 82 f100 with a built circle track motor and all the extras could get 14 if I stayed out of the 4 barrel. I am very disappointed and with fuel jumping this summer it just makes me sick. On a positive note I love everything else about my ram.

#15 ·
How much of an increase did you notice? I strongly doubt my truck will increase 5 mpg city and get me to the level that some of you guys are at by simply putting miles on it. Its very frustrating having this kind of mileage. Im afraid of using my truck for any of the things I purchased it for, in fear of seeing single digit mileage numbers.

#18 ·
Hey everyone i'm not telling you how to drive your thuck but I found that i had to learn how to drive this truck, momentum is your friend and your enemy my quad cab 4x4 weights 5700 lbs it takes alot to get it rolling thats where most people loose there mileage. little things make a big difference obviously keeping your foot out of it at the lights coastihg up to the lights so they turn green while your still rolling. not tailgating so you don't have to keep hitting the brakes because the driver in front of can't drive. In hilly areas accelerating down the hill so your momentum will help carry you up the other hill if your not tailgating because the car in front was on the brakes going down the hill.
I went on a 8 hour trip to Carlisle PA for the automotive swap meet I drove there was getting between 20-21mpg a freind drove back same roads best he got was 17mpg that was the first time he drove the truck.
my truck has 3.55 gears and 20 inch wheels at 75 mph eng is at 1800rpm

#19 · (Edited)
I feel compelled to chime in this post even though it's older...I am too having a BEST mpg of around 13mpg which is very dissapointing since the sticker in the window said 16-22. I've been researching and thinking about this a lot. Yes we bought hemi's. Yes they don't get the best mileage. The average reported mpg of '11-'12 stock Hemi's is 15-17mpg. So logically and scientifically this evidence suggests that there is an unknown variable in some of our trucks leading to a 2-3 mpg loss. I'm at 5000 miles right now, my last tank I filled up I drove it down to E and got 325 miles...that's with a light foot and 50% or more on the freeway. I never stomp the pedal and rarely hit up to 2500 rpm's on acceleration. I always use 89, I put a drop in K&N and cut the hole in the bottom of the airbox for better air flow and changed the oil to Amsoil synthetic @ 1000miles(these changes weren't recent so yes the computer has had time to adjust). If anything I lost mileage after the changes that should have improved it. I bought my truck in July 2012. I'm about to put exhaust, intake and tune on it but am hesitant if it's not running at full efficiency on it's own. Also I should mention on freeway road trips I get about 100 miles more per tank so apparently the MDS is working just fine.

#22 ·
I feel compelled to chime in this post even though it's older...I am too having a BEST mpg of around 13mpg which is very dissapointing since the sticker in the window said 16-22. I've been researching and thinking about this a lot. Yes we bought hemi's. Yes they don't get the best mileage. The average reported mpg of '11-'12 stock Hemi's is 15-17mpg. So logically and scientifically this evidence suggests that there is an unknown variable in some of our trucks leading to a 2-3 mpg loss. I'm at 5000 miles right now, my last tank I filled up I drove it down to E and got 325 miles...that's with a light foot and 50% or more on the freeway. I never stomp the pedal and rarely hit up to 2500 rpm's on acceleration. I always use 89, I put a drop in K&N and cut the hole in the bottom of the airbox for better air flow and changed the oil to Amsoil synthetic @ 1000miles(these changes weren't recent so yes the computer has had time to adjust). If anything I lost mileage after the changes that should have improved it. I bought my truck in July 2012. I'm about to put exhaust, intake and tune on it but am hesitant if it's not running at full efficiency on it's own. Also I should mention on freeway road trips I get about 100 miles more per tank so apparently the MDS is working just fine.
16-22mpg?:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:

#20 ·
Rear end gearing is going to play a lot here. Someone who's truck has 3.92 gears is going to get worse milage than one with 3.55 gears.

Years ago, I built up a 340 motor and put it in a Dodge Aspen. Big cam, 10.5 to 1 pistons, the works. It had 2.71 gears and I was getting 20mpg with it and it was still fast off the line.

Now I just traded in a 2012 Ram Express that at first was getting 13mpg on average and most of my driving was highway. I've got a heavy foot so 80mph is normal for me. After I put 10k miles on it the mileage finally came up to 15mpg average. Traded that one in for a 2012 Big Horn and on the first day I was getting over 15mpg. Difference in gearing, 3.92 compared to 3.55.

Also, a 2wd gets better mileage than a 4wd, even the window stickers show this.

#21 ·
Good info...I don't have as much knowledge and experience as most of you on here or else I might have guessed it on my own, but this makes sense.

So the logical solution here is to change gears to 3.92, why don't they come that way from factory? Because as it sits right now I feel like I was frauded and should sue Dodge for false claims.

Class action guys. Class action...

#25 ·
Good info...I don't have as much knowledge and experience as most of you on here or else I might have guessed it on my own, but this makes sense.

So the logical solution here is to change gears to 3.92, why don't they come that way from factory? Because as it sits right now I feel like I was frauded and should sue Dodge for false claims.

Class action guys. Class action...
u shouldnt feel frauded i up to u to know what ur buyin perticulrly with i truck. axle ratio was the first thing i wanted to know as 3.55 is factory standard 3.92 should be better city mpg oh and im getting 11 mpg right now with cold wether winter gas and only 2000 miles on the truck

#23 · (Edited)
same here i was getting 15 to 16 when new only 1,000 miles now im at 4000 and every week i get around 12.8 mpg around town only . my ram hardley ever sees the highway but when it does i still only see around 15 at best.I use 87 octane and am sure that has allot to do with it . I drive a 2010 f350 super duty 2w drive Aat work and that only gets 9 to 10 mpg from day 1 so im not to worried.I know what the sticker said when i first looked at the ram and i have never gotten close to that 15 to 17 in town and 20 highway LOL

#24 ·
We live in Iowa so it is generally pretty flat.
Also can be quite windy, as I recall. Been to Iowa a few times, lived in neighboring Illinois for a year. Tail winds can help your fuel economy, but even a medium headwind can wreak havoc! These big trucks can act like a parachute. Don't know if this is a factor in your case or not, just wanted to toss it out there. Speed also. I know driving at 60 mph isn't as enjoyable/fun as 70, but typically you can get much better fuel economy at 60. Many times that's just not practical, though.

#27 ·
Better MPG

All Synthetic fluids in everything.
E3 Plugs.
MSD Coil, much hotter more powerful spark.
New MSD Wires.
Cold air intake, DIY or name brand, just use K&N filter.
Headers & dual exhaust. I wrap my headers.
Remove engine fan & replace with dual electrical fans. gives more HP too.
I replaced bearings with best available for less rolling resistance.
I inflate my 285/75/16's to 48LBS and rotate every 4K.
Take out & clean injectors or have an injector cleaning done professionally.
Remove ALL extra & not needed weight.
Easy on gas pedal, manuals are better on gas.
Coast on hills, coming up to red lights/stop signs, IN Neutral.
I changed my 5.9 to a 5.2 & MPG is WAY better.
Use AC only if absolutely necessary.

I live in Rural area east of Toronto and have many times turned engine off and coasted down large hills for up to 7.5K or 4.5 miles.

MPG stays around 19-21 depending on how much I HyperMile

I hate the greedy oil companies & once I get a diesel again I will make my own BioDiesel for $1.10 a gallon

1998 Ram 1500 4x4

#28 ·
My 2012 is also getting poor fuel milage 13.5 is what I am seeing in town and 17.5 is the best I have seen on the highway. This truck is almost identical to the 2010 ram that I had. The differences in the trucks are the transmission and gear ratio. Both trucks are crew cabs and I drive the same route everyday. My 2010 had the 5 speed transmission with 3.92 gears while my 2012 has the 6 speed with 3.55 gears. I would have thought the truck would get better mileage with the 6 speed and a taller gear ratio. My 2010 truck would get 16 mpg in town and 18.5-21 on the highway. I usually run in the 77-78 mph range on the highway. On a recent trip I even slowed down into the low 70 mph range with the new truck and it still didn't do any better. One thing I have noticed with my 2012 is that it will not go in to 6th gear until I am in the 62-63 mph range where as my old truck would go into 5th if I was running 35 mph. I am pretty disappointed in the mileage and I am already considering moving on to something else.

#29 ·
As has been said - NO idling. Idling will kill your mileage. Slow down, and be easy on the gas. Also something else that has a big hit on mileage is how far you drive. I have a four mile one way commute, and it plays hell with my mileage. The truck can barely get out of open loop mode before I pull into the parking lot. The cold weather and winds will also hurt. I drove to Minot and back today. When I pulled into Minot, my fuel economy meter was reading 21.5. When I got home, I had a bit of a head wind, and it fell off to 19.4, and this is with me keeping to 55 mph. I have just over 500 miles on mine now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.