DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Convert manual to power windows

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if this has been addressed before so if it was, my bad. I have a 2011 Ram Tradesman with manual windows and locks. I know first thing people will say is "why didn't you just buy the truck with power windows"? I didn't think I needed them... I have looked online at the different power window kits to install and have gotten quotes from different alarm installation places and they all want to install an alarm to install the power windows and locks off of.Now my question, is it possible to install power window switches using the blanks in the center dash? I would rather not mess with cutting a slot in the door to install switches, and I figured it would be easier to just install the switch in the center dash blanks (next to the hazard light switch). Also, as mass produced these vehicles are now adays would the space be there to essentially "plug in" the wires for the power window? If anyone has done this before or has any imput I would really appreciate it!

#2 ·
You might check with SPAL for window kits:

http://www.spalusa.com/store/main.aspx?p=CategoryBody&c=PWWI

I'm not entirely sure if the switches will fit into the dash positions, as they're fairly tall (the last time I used them). But you can get nice bezels, and they're fairly compact, so putting them into the door panel shouldn't be horribly invasive.

The worked very nicely when I installed them in my Ranger back 10 years or so ago.

~Chris

#3 ·
If you're referring to the switches just below the radio, then no you can't modify them to work with a power window. However, as Chris mentiond they have plenty of switch choices so you should be able to find something that works either in the door or new in the dash.

By the way, I've installed the Spal kits on a couple of older vehicles; I never had a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.