DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Towing with a 1500

12K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  drill35 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Just wanted to get your take and experiences on towing with the Ram.

I have an '08 1500 4x4 QC Laramie w/5.7 and 20" wheels. I have the factory tow package with tranny cooler and 3.92 gears in the axles.

I'm in the market to buy a travel trailer. I know that Dodge says the the max tow weight is 9100 lbs with a GCRW of 14,000 lbs.

Last time I had my truck at the scales, fully loaded with a full 5x8 cargo trailer, my weight was right around 6600 lbs on the rear axle. I know that I'll have to re-weigh my truck without a trailer attached, but I think that I can safely use that weight for estimiations.

I'm looking at travel trailers with a dry weights between 5500-6500 lbs, staying closer to the 5500 line.

I'm interested in hearing other's experiences in towing with similar options as I have and also if my figures above are appropriate for my truck.

Don't want to put myself and others in danger by hauling something that my truck can't handle.

Thanks for the assistance,
Brian

See less See more
#4 ·
I have a toy hauler loaded with my toys and every thing im at about 7500 pounds...had to re gear to 4.56 makes things alot better, trailor brake would be a good idea...weight distro hitch.....sit back take it slow let the hemi do its job.....enjoy life while you can......

#6 ·
I pull roughly around 10,000lbs of horses with my Ram 1500 and have no problems, but if your looking for longevity for your truck you should have gotten a 2500 at least. Excessive towing of large loads will wear the poor truck out prematurely. It simply wasn't designed as a commercial towing vehicle but rather a weekend warrior as long as pampering and tender care are involved. Ive seen what can happen when the trailers brakes have failed and the trucks breaks were thing left to bring the train to a stop, lets just say the guard rail saved his ass. His 1500 just wasn't enough truck for the job.

G
#8 ·
Add a trailer brake controller, an anti-sway and load leveling device to the trailer tongue and make sure you know what your truck weight is loaded (passengers, fuel, other items) + the trailer weight (loaded) to determine your Gross Combined Vehicle Weight. Then compare that with the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating on your truck. If you are under that rating, yer good.

One trick I learned is don't fill up your fresh water tank until you get to your destination and dump the black water/grey water tanks before you head back home.

So do this calculation: Truck Loaded + Trailer Loaded (less water) = GCVW.

Then, GCVWR (rating on the truck) - GCVW = your weight safety factor. If the GCVW is greater than the GCVWR, you need to lighten the load or find a lighter trailer.

#12 ·
Your setup sounds a lot like mine. I pull a Jayco JayFeather 23B weighing in at about 5600 lbs. Like MADDOG states, brake controller, leveling hitch (I use the E-qualizer) with sway control--my Ram really doesn't know its back there (except for the knock I take in the mpg!) He's on to something with the water, too -- keep your trailer weight toward the low end and load most of your added weight of supplies nearer the front of the trailer. I use about a 60/40 ratio when loading the trailer for a trip.

I think you'll be fine. :smileup:

#9 ·
Brian - trying to figure out the difference btwn your '08 Laramie and my '07 SLT. I have the same set-up (5.7L, trans cooler, 3.92 gear) but Dodge customer assistance told me I have a 7400 lb Max trailer weight, with a GCWR of 13,000lbs. Where did you get the 9100/14000 numbers??

#11 ·
Bellzy - I got the info from a couple of sources, including the dealer when I picked her up, from the original window sticker and from a couple of sites on the net. Figured that I'd ask here since you're all a bunch of Ram owners. The trailer I ended up buying is 6400 lbs, so I shouldn't have any issues, except getting a new set of rubbers when I save my money. I hear that the stock Wranglers are not the best for towing.

Already have a brake controller in the truck and will be getting a weight distro hitch when I pick up my trailer in a couple of weeks. I'll certainly give a field report when I'm done with my travels. Got about a 4000 mile road trip planned to begin at the end of the month.

After being stuck in Guam for 10 months, I NEED TO DRIVE!!

Thanks everyone for the tips, tricks and advice.

#13 ·
I've got an '03 Ram 1500 with the 4.7, 3.92 gears and a 5 speed. The recommended max tow weight is 5400. The recommended max GCWR is 10,500. If this truck had an automatic tranny the max tow weight would be 7350 with a GCWR of 12,500. Are these weights firm or is there any wiggle room? I'm surprised the manual tows so much less than the auto. I don't want to pull as much as the auto will handle but I may go over my limits by a small amount. Would there be a problem? What would bend/break first? The clutch? The gears in the tranny? Any info would be appreciated.

#22 ·
The thing is if your stopped while towing the sticker on your door is what the the cops and dot go by, and that is a hefty fine + they won't let you pull it any further. I spoke with a Dodge engineer once and he told me the main reason for the different tow ratings between transmissions is that 98% of the people that have man trans don't know how to drive them, especially when towing. He said the clutch will give out because people tend to slip it to much when towing instead of just getting off of it as soon as possible. I still wouldn't tow over the rating unless it's close to home and not very far.

G
#14 ·
I have been towing for 30 years, what I have learned is the tow vehicle is important but the attitude of the driver is more important. Don't get in a hurry, don't go cheap on your brake controller,expect non towing drivers to cause you problems. Semi drivers, other tow drivers will understand others won't. I put a 100K towing with a Dodge 1500 5.9 4X4, the best truck I ever owned. I have towed up to the max tow limit by mfg. but would rather have about 1K less. most problems will come from trans thru mountains. Get tow pkg. expect more maint. I can't say enough how imporant tire press. is for truck and trailer. Check tires every fuel stop, touch wheels on trailer if one is hotter than others find out why (dry bearings). I have towed Travel trailers with the following, Chev Van 6.2 Diesel,ford ranger,chev 1/2 ton PU, jeep grand cherok, The Dodge did it best with the least problems.

G
#17 ·
I go with the 1500 specs and fudge a bit if I need to but normally, I am under the GCVWR. I upgraded my trans cooler to a larger capacity one so I'm not worried over a heavier than normal load once in a while.

As 1104 said, heat kills transmissions and tire pressure is critical!

#18 ·
My 07 Quad pulls my 08 DuneSeeker Toy Hauler. The Toy Hauler is 6325 dry but with about 1400 pounds in toys and a few incidentals and 30 gallons of premium fuel for the bikes I am close to 8000. The Ram pulls it without any problems in tow mode. I have an elec brake controller and complete anti sway controllers on the hitch. The 5.7 Hemi is strong as an OX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.