DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Truck will crank but won't start

55K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Ram van2500dude 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 Ram 2500 5.9 4x4 that will crank but not start. I've replaced the PCM, plugs, wires, cap & roter, and ignition coil. Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

#2 ·
Best bet is to take it one thing at a time, not just start replacing parts you don't know if they are bad or not. First of all, any check engine light? Second, check for spark. Third, check for fuel pressure. Fourth, check compression. If all these are good it should run.

#4 ·
Have you double checked the rotor cap? I replaced one once when i did plugs and wires and put that sucker on 180 degree out. Took me forever to figure out when she wouldn't start. Once I turned it around the way it was meant that truck fired right up like a champ.

What made you replace all that stuff in the first place?

#5 ·
It was running rough so I gave it a tune up, and it ran great for about 5 or 6 weeks. Then it just quit running while I was driving it one day. Ended up having it towed to a shop, they said it was the computer, so I replaced that, and it didn't make any difference. I;m going to double check the roter, then on to compression.

#8 · (Edited)
i had the same issue with my supercharged foxbody i would crank but not start i checked everything and a month later i found out that the fuel filter was clogged i changed it out cycled the key and it fired up and i was back to having fun

#10 ·
I'm having the same problem with my '99 1500 right now. I had a bad fuel pump, and replaced that then only to find that I was not getting any spark. I'm replacing the distributor cap, rotor, plugs, and wires tonight. If it is your fuel pump, and you decide to install it yourself, good luck. It was a pain in the butt to pull the tank to get to the pump. I did save over $300 by doing it myself though.

#11 ·
As far as the fuel pump.....on my s10 I found it easier/faster to remove the bed to access the pump. Not sure if this would be the same with the ram. I would disconnect the tail light harness, remove tail gate, disconnect 3 bolts for fuel filler hose, then 6 bolts underneath holding the bed on, and a few neighbors (tempted with a six pack) and then you can work standing up (or sitting on the frame). Much easier IMO. Probably would take you an hour to get the bed off...

#13 · (Edited)
ok. I know that this is someone else's thread, but I'm at a dead end with the same problem. here's the situation with my 1500:

first off, i do not have a check engine light. one day while slowing to a stop at a light, the truck died and would not start. i checked the fule pump, and saw that it went bad, so i replaced it. tried to start and i found that i was not getting any spark. replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor since i'm sitting at 160,000 miles. i replaced the ignition coil and now have a good spark (found that out the hard way :SHOCKED:), but still not starting. someone told me to check the crankshaft sensor to see if that's bad, but after that i have no clue what to do next. can anyone out here help?

#15 ·
I'm happy to say the truck is finally running great. The problem was a clogged catalytic converter. Completely removed everything inside of it, so it's really just like straight pipes but looks like a functioning catalytic converter, and it runs great! Thanks for everyones input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.