DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Transmission temp question?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sailcat 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 20 mile drive to work and its all flat, highway with little stop and go. I usually drive 65mph and do not tow anything. 2013 Hemi 4x4 with the 6-speed.

My transmission temperature barely gets over 100*f by the time i get to work. It used to get up to 130*f when it was warmer but now that it is around 50 outside, it barely cracks 100*.

Is this what others are noticing to? I know keeping trans temps down is a good thing but barely cracking 100* seems awfully low. It seems like it doesnt ever get close to operating temperature and was wondering if that is detrimental because i know the fluid has to be a certain temperature for the transmission to operate properly.

#2 ·
The only bad thing is worse mpg. Cooler fluid prolongs trans life but decreases mpg. They say optimum is about 180 deg F. Mine is like yours on the trip to work might get to 125 deg F or so(and that's in florida). I've had it hit around 200 deg F if I recall correctly on a long tow trip, after pulling up a steep mountain or a long period of time. It's pretty rare it gets above 160 ish though, that usually happens when sitting idle for 15 minutes or so.

#5 ·
I have a 2013 Express and it has the optional "Display Package" which gives me the Uconnect 5.0 touch screen radio and the upgraded EVIC that displays an asortment of information between the tach and speedo. I am surprised that your 2013 Laramie does not have it standard....

#9 ·
I know about the screen between the tach and speedo and I have played with it to show different info, Outside temp, compass etc. I have the left side of the EVIC screen I have the oil and trans temp gauges showing, but it does not show the temps in degrees just a bar type gauge showing a range between cold and hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.