DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Rusty bumpers....

6K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  Mattones 
#1 ·
OK, I've seen this topic recently so I figure I'd post again. Finally the weather in NJ is nice enough to get out and wash the truck.

I noticed the bumpers are showing rust spots.... Even the chrome Mopar running boards have signs of early rust spots. Has anyone address this with their local dodge dealer?

Thanks
Gus

#3 ·
I've got the same problem on my front bumper. Asked about it at Dodge and the dude said Its something Dodge is aware of and trying to fix.. He didn't know if there's gonna be a recall or not either. Also he said it's a common problem on the Laramie especially..

#5 ·
Replacing the bumpers really doesn't fix the problem. They really need a recall on this one IMO.

#6 ·
My dealer tells me that they have a spray on cleaner that they are supposed to try first (which they did on mine and it cleaned everything up nicely) as long as you take it in early and don't wait for them to get horrible.

Also, they tell me Dodge is well aware and possibly issuing an RRT or Recall in the future as they are in the process of changing the way they chrome the bumper

#7 ·
atleast they are doing something about it!! your best bet is to take it to the dealer as rust should not be starting that early! hope there is a more permanent fix for this problem though...no one wants to deal with rust!

#9 ·
You all can thank the government for that. It's not Dodge's fault, it is the intrusive regulations by our wonderful government. Paints have gone to crap and now so has chroming. They make it so hard to do a descent job that it's no surprise that it will start to rust early. The government (who doesn't really know how to do anything correctly any more) micromanages everything to death. My 97 is still clean and rust free, but it has 13 year old chroming technology on it.

#10 ·
rusty bumper

I have a 2009 dodge ram and had the rusty front bumper replaced by the dealer. Well it's back . I now have another rusty bumper and have to make a 40 mile trip to show them. They tell me they have seen a few with that problem. Well fix it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
the supplier is doing a cheap prep & anodizing, then a single dip in the chrome

older vehicles had at least a double dip in the chrome & expensive vehicles were triple dipped

General Motors is having just as many bumper rust problems

#13 ·
it's not just the chrome ones...my '09 ST has little rust spots on the front...haven't looked at the back....haven't even hit 20k miles yet

#14 ·
My bumpers look fine but I have noticed pitting on the chrome “running boards” and figured to ask the Dealer about it. I used “Mother’s” polish on the chrome clad wheels as well since they were showing early signs of pitting or rust and that seems to have prevented anymore spots from appearing. I live in an area that has pretty tough winters but do wash my truck on a regular basis and never let it sit around with a lot of grime and salt deposits on it. So, I was sort of surprised to see this problem showing up and a rather new truck

#15 ·
I have the same issue with my '05 Ram after winter time. It tends to show a couple tiny spots on my bumpers and a bunch of little spots on the chrome runners that I have going on the lower half of the truck. I just pick up some good chrome polish and give it a good cleaning when the weather warms up and it clears up all of the little spots.

#16 ·
I went to my dealer about mine and they have now changed supplies for the front bumpers but still showing the same Part number for the rear bumpers. Service manager says they should be changing suppliers in the rear bumper soon as well. They went and checked the warehouse supplies on the old supplier for the rear bumper last week and they only had 2 left for all of the west coast. He said that's a sign they are just using the rest of their old stock up and switching over as well.

I have a little bit of rust on both my front and rear bumpers and I'm just waiting for them to switch suppliers for the rear and I'm getting both mine replaced.

#17 ·
2011 Dodge Ram SXT

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram SXT the rear bumper started to rust by the exhaust and now on the other side of the bumper. I took it to 2 dealerships they are aware of the problem but all they did was give me a bottle of chrome polish. Finally the 3rd dealership said they would give it a acid wash and re polish it. At least I got 2 free bottles of chrome polish.

#21 ·
I have a 2011 Dodge Ram SXT the rear bumper started to rust by the exhaust and now on the other side of the bumper. I took it to 2 dealerships they are aware of the problem but all they did was give me a bottle of chrome polish. Finally the 3rd dealership said they would give it a acid wash and re polish it. At least I got 2 free bottles of chrome polish.
What dealer is going to acid wash and re polishit for you if you don't mind me asking?

I think it is interesting that so many of us have the problem and all seem to be given a different solution. I have been told the bumper has to rust through before it will be concidered for replacement.

#19 ·
This happened to my bumper just over a year buying it. Dealer had looked into it and said that Dodge has acknowledged that there is a problem, but had not figured out a solution.....that was nearly a year ago now. Interesting too see some posts about the chrome tube running boards as well. Mine are pitting as well.

#22 ·
When i went to buy my 2010 i looked in the lot all the chrome bumper trucks were rusting out. I asked the sales guy and he told me that there was a problem with the coating process on the bumpers and they had they all had to be replace. No idea how true this was... but that's why i bought the sport with the painted bumpers...

#23 ·
2009 Laramie - Rusty Bumpers!

Gents,

My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Laramie has rusty bumpers. Six months ago I advised my best friend (who I eventually bought the truck off of) to get it checked out under warranty because I know some Tundra owners going through the same problems.

The truck now has 93,000km (3yr-60,000km has expired) but it is only 1.5 years old and has only seen two winters. This is unacceptable in my opinion and the bumpers should be replaced. There is a TSB out on this problem (see below). My dealer has filed a claim to replace the bumpers regardless of the mileage. That was last week.... I will let you know how I make out.

STRUCTURE:BODY:BUMPERS

• Date Reported OCTOBER 01 2010
    • NHTSA Reference #10034710
    • TSB Reference #CSN-K23
    Description: DODGE SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. MOPAR CHROME FRONT BUMPER CORROSION. THE MOPAR REPLACEMENT CHROME FRONT BUMPER ON CERTAIN VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A CORROSION CONDITION ON THE CHROME SURFACE OF THE BUMP
    Repair Information for NHTSA #10034710
Boris.

#24 · (Edited)
Help!!! - Source for Replacement Chrome Bumpers!

Gents,

My 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Laramie has rusty bumpers. Six months ago I advised my best friend (who I eventually bought the truck off of) to get it checked out under warranty because I know some Tundra owners going through the same problems.

The truck now has 93,000km (3yr-60,000km has expired) but it is only 1.5 years old and has only seen two winters. This is unacceptable in my opinion and the bumpers should be replaced. There is a TSB out on this problem (see below). My dealer has filed a claim to replace the bumpers regardless of the mileage. That was last week.... I will let you know how I make out.

STRUCTURE:BODY:BUMPERS

• Date Reported OCTOBER 01 2010
    • NHTSA Reference #10034710
    • TSB Reference #CSN-K23
    Description: DODGE SERVICE CAMPAIGN: SEE DOCUMENT SEARCH BUTTON FOR OWNER LETTER. MOPAR CHROME FRONT BUMPER CORROSION. THE MOPAR REPLACEMENT CHROME FRONT BUMPER ON CERTAIN VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE A CORROSION CONDITION ON THE CHROME SURFACE OF THE BUMP
    Repair Information for NHTSA #10034710
Boris.

Guys,

Not to my surprise, Chrysler denied my claim due to "Out of warranty Mileage" despite the vehicle only being 1.5 years old.

This in my opinion is unacceptable. Most modern day chrome is "eye-candy' and is made like sh*t. To be environmentally friendly they have bastardized the chroming process. What's the point? Both bumpers are going into the landfill.

Well I can't stand the thought of rusty chrome. If it looks bad now it will look worse in 2 more years. So the only option I have is is to replace them... however:

1) I DO NOT want to order a Mopar replacement for fear of getting the same defective supplier.
2) Labour is going to cost about $230 to replace the bumpers (sensors and all that crap) so I don't want to do this again in 2 years.

Do any one of you know an aftermarket manufacturer of the front Chrome "bezel" (I don't need to replace the "guts of the front bumper")? How about the rear bumper? (this is one unit)?

Any and all help is appreciated. Stuff like this just pisses me off!
:box2:

Boris.!!!

#25 ·
Guess what, I have a new bumper on the way!

Took it in for a routine service and checking around the truck I noticed rust on the chrome front bumper up around where the bolts are (just under the upper painted front cover) - mostly coming from the bolts that are completely rusty.

They ordered a new one, no questions asked.

Lift that upper bumper cover everyone, I bet your bolts are rusted.

#26 ·
took mine to the dealer they said they 'ordered bolts,etc maybe a new bumper. waiting for the parts to come in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.