DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Best Tuner For My Needs!?!?

29K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  covenysp 
#1 ·
I am looking into getting a tuner in the near future. My only current performance mod is 18" magnaflow muffler with rebuilt front y pipe (factory duals). I will soon be adding a K&N drop in filter. That will be about it for my performance mods.

This truck is my daily driver and i drive back and forth between NY and PA every two weeks for work (about 200 miles. 70/30 highway and city driving). In the summer i also haul a boat.

My question to everyone is what is the best tuner for my application? I want the best fuel economy i can get and also a little more power for the occasions i do have to haul something. I see a forum favorite is diablo tuners. What model diablo (or other brand tuner) best suites my needs?

Thanks for the help!

#4 · (Edited)
I have the Diablosport Trinity and all you need is a computer to update it with the lastest software. Comes with disk with needed programs to download and install to the Trinity and then to your truck. Just go to the Diablosport website. You can do a ton of stuff with it. With the mods you have all you need to do is load the performance mods that come preloaded. Go to youtube and search for diablosport trinity to see it in action.

#7 ·
I have the SC Cortex and for me it works great. It has canned programs for 87, milage, towing and 91. It also allows you to customize each one to your liking. You can also disable MDS. When I first installed the 87 tune I could tell the difference right off the bat.

#9 ·
if your not planning on any of the serious mods, your better off with superchips, they have better tranny control... if I didn't require custom tuning I probably would still be running superchips..

#19 ·
hey i tried to pm you but it wont let me do it until i have 25 or more posts. i have 21 now. i was just going to say that i think im leaning towards the cortex after watching a few videos on youtube. I cant seem to find any owner feedback about the intune. you can pm me with price quotes if you want.

#24 ·
I honestly have not tried the fuel economy tune. I would bet not much though, maybe 1 or 2 at most. I have only used 91 performance, 93 performance, and tow. I have it on 93 performance normally, and change to tow when towing. I noticed a very small increase in mpg with the 93 tune, very little though.

#26 ·
thanks for those!!

I honestly have not tried the fuel economy tune. I would bet not much though, maybe 1 or 2 at most. I have only used 91 performance, 93 performance, and tow. I have it on 93 performance normally, and change to tow when towing. I noticed a very small increase in mpg with the 93 tune, very little though.
when you run the dfferent octane tunes, do you use that octane in your truck or do you just fill it with 87? if not, what would happen if you did do this?

#27 ·
when you run the dfferent octane tunes, do you use that octane in your truck or do you just fill it with 87? if not, what would happen if you did do this?
You have to run the minimum octane required for the tune else risk damage to the engine. On the 93 tune I run 93, if I run a lower octane it will ping/detonate and can cause damage especially over time and at higher rpm's and higher loads. If you run the 91 tune, you must use AT LEAST 91 octane. Higher is ok, lower is not ok.

#29 ·
You have to run the minimum octane required for the tune else risk damage to the engine. On the 93 tune I run 93, if I run a lower octane it will ping/detonate and can cause damage especially over time and at higher rpm's and higher loads. If you run the 91 tune, you must use AT LEAST 91 octane. Higher is ok, lower is not ok.
ok thats kind of what i thought. now what about the tow tune? does that have an octane requirement?

#30 ·
I think they say to use 93 with tow tune. It doesn't give any huge improvement in mpg but it pulls so much better it is worth it IMO. Also, some people will use the 87 performance tune with 91 or 93 octane and tow on that, and that works out well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.