DODGE RAM FORUM banner

HELP! need some serious advice...

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Stampede4.7 
#1 ·
so my baby is an 03 1500 4.7l v8 NOT A HEMI and for some reason no one has any love for these in the aftermarket community for some reason. idk why but it really sucks cause i cant get any much needed horsepower to my engine. i mean my buddy's 98 altima is keeping up with me and then kicking my ass..my truck used to have some balls now it just creeps along.. now i dont have the money or the experience for an engine swap like i want.. in fact i dont have much experience at all with engines, ive always tried to stay on the interior. so thats why im here, to get some advice, learn and MAKE MY BABY FAST. lol anyways i got a cold air filter and a flowmaster series 10 muffler, thinking it would solve my issues.. they didnt.. so im thinking performance coil packs for now? so any advice on good brands or other mods i could do what soever? i mean i dont wanna say im desprate here.. but i kinda am lol

#2 ·
In all honesty, if your saying the truck used to perform better than it does now, then your asking the wrong question. Instead of looking for aftermarket parts to add performance you should have it in a shop to, get it checked out. Once it's running right then you can see about upgrades. You might just need a tune up, but any modding without fixing a problem is just a waste of money. If on the other hand the engine is beat then modding won't help.

Reactions: Asur
#5 · (Edited)
hey im a break down the 4.7 for you it is a weak package to start but with a little work you can make it a fun driver first thing you need to do is change out your rear gears go with 4.11 or 4.56 and put a posi unit in if you don't have one.
2. exhaust Headers
3. E-fan get rid of the clutch fan worth bout 10 rwhp can use an old ford Taurus fan to save some cash
4. 180 tstat to help keep it cool
5. Tuner super chips or other like SCT which is a custom tuner
6.tb go with a 70 or 72 with the 72 you will have to go with SCT tune it Is only one of 2 that can tune for it
7.stall converter don't know much on these I have a standard
8.cam if you can find one h.o.,206,212,218,224 the h.o. cam which the others are made from is discountued can find a used but they are not cheap start at round 450
9. 2008 intake with adapter to fit your tb
10. Under drive pully
With these your making hemi power

#6 · (Edited)
Oh yeah forgot hi-flo Y and p&p heads

Start here airram.com

#7 ·
Figure out why you have so much less power now than before first. May be as simple as a PCM reset. Then once its in good working order you can throw parts at it. Also the list says 'cam', but keep in mind you have two cams (double the price). Someone on another forum is in the midst of figuring out if the newer (08+) cyl heads will work on an older block.

#9 ·
hows the swap coming been following it. hey what do you want for the adapter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.