DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How to install new Shocks with the wrong tools

11K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  moparmike07 
#1 ·
Hello all. I just got finished with a prety simple install I made longer and more dificult due to broken and incorrect tools so I figured I would save everyone else a little time when they are ready to do the job.
First off Changin the shocks is a simple one person job with limited tools needed. Second, make sure you have the right tools, new shocks with bushings, some sort of penetrating oil (WD-40) and about 2 hours to kill.
For shocks I ordered Skyjacker Nitro 8000's from Autoanything.com for about $170 for all 4 shipped (not bad I thought). They come with all the bushings and new top nut but you have to use the old mounting bolts so if they are rotted or broken make sure you get yourself some new ones.
I soaked the nuts and bolts with wd-40 the day before so it soaked in nicely.
I removed the spare tire so it was nice and easy to sit under there and get the rears off. You will need 2 21mm sockets or wrenches (I reccomend one of each) and make sure you have a nice long Socket wrench for leverage, it will make your life that much easier. I unfortunately had a broken 1/2" socket wrench so I had to use my braker bar instead which is why it took me so much longer to do the job. Of corse if you have air ratchets by all means use em. The Nuts on mine had a bar welded to them so you really only needed the one wrench to remove them but I can imagine some of them getting broken off or bent. The rear should take about 30 minutes or less depending on your tools and the rust factor.
The fronts take about the same amount of time although it did take a little time removing the bottom of the shocks from the chassis, I had to pry from below while my son wiggled the top from front to back. To remove them you need to remove the 3 15mm nuts holding down the top mount bracket. The new front shocks are easier to install when they are compressed so I would suggest reusing the wire the new shocks come with to hold them compressed and then cut it once the top mount bracket is back in place and the bottom bolt is also.
All and all it was a simple job and I would say anyone with these tools can do. And the reward of a smooth riding truck is awesometastic!
I hope this will help any of you who have this job ahead of you. Dont be scared it's easy!:smileup:

See less See more
Reactions: iRESQu
#5 ·
Ya, the Germans make good cars, but good-old American made is where its at!

#8 ·
lol, i just had to have my shocks changed. This is my 1st full size Vehicle, so I wasn't really equipped/ready for the job at hand(and it's only changing shocks). I have always only owned imports(Trucks & cars). So I had to purchase a full-size service jack because my jacks were to small. On top of that, I only have 3/8" Drive ratchets/breaker bars/sockets/etc(maybe a few 1/2" deep sockets for impact). So another words, I only have a set-up for imports. After about an hours, a few slips off the nut/bolts, a few bruises to my arms & ego, I opted out and just took the truck to our local performance shop. for $60 on-top of the total for the shocks, I waited for maybe 30-min. To me was worth the extra $60 to have them change out. No worrying about stripped hardware & gained a warranty. In the mean time, I have to update my tools. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.