DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Cam Swap

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
I want to replace my cam with the Comp 260. My motor has like 85000 right now, what else should I replace internally along with my cam while I have it in the shop? Heads would be nice but expensive. Would it be smart to just replace the cam or would I risk engine damage? Thanks!

#2 ·
If you got it apart for the cam I'd think there would be other worn parts you should replace, but not being an engine expert I'll wait for one to chime in......

#4 ·
with that mileage..i would do head gaskets and exhaust gaskets as well (proactive maintenance)...also, with the 260, get 6.1 exhaust valve springs (16x) and 6.1 pushrods. headbolts, crank bolts and cam bolt...

#7 ·
..also, get coolant and cheap oil/filter (after swap, run the cheap oil 10-15 minutes), then change to the normal oil/filter you use...

#11 ·
when you pull the water pump, coolant goes right into the oil pan so when you completely drain it you want to use cheap oil to 'cleanse' the system of coolant..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.